Resident Evil 5

Maybe you're playing the PS3 version which has blurry textures. ;)

I think the QTEs are done fairly well, yes you die if you miss a button press...uh hello....that's the point. You get to restart the QTE very quickly without a long wait. If you have quick and acurrate reflexes then you win, if you're too slow or push the wrong button you lose. So what do you suggest the QTE be replaced by? A cutscene where you always win?

I don't know what game you've been playing but the small rooms only have a couple enemies. It's the larger outside environments that have many enemies. Some medium sized rooms do have many enemies but it also has barracades you can hide behind then jump to fire.

I thought the mirror puzzle was kinda cool, it fit in with the ruins theme. Yes it's been done before but that was a tny part of the game anyway.

I've played both versions, but it's not only the textures. The second half is just uninspiring looking. Character models are excellent and bosses are incredible looking.

If that's the point of QTE's then let them die now, please. QTEs should enrich the gameplay experience - in this you die and see "Game Over" when a random crocodile jumps on your platform and miss pressing a flashing X. Pointless.

It's more frustrating when you're trying to enjoy the game with a friend, and they can't get the button presses - so you have to keep on doing it together. How about there's actual gameplay in these sections? Or, like Heavenly Sword tried to attempt, there's a different non-fatal outcome to missing a QTE - eg. lost health, failed animation etc.

How about the level when there's a bunch of military zombies, which is then joined by the retarded zombies with big gatling guns (the rubbish AI is shown at its worst here), and then insect aliens?

It was too easy. Where are the good RE puzzles I remember?

Maybe you're playing the PS3 version which has blurry textures. ;)

Yes the QA on ps3 worsen low res. textures :rolleyes: come on, the textures are the same on both version change the sharpness and for the first time the QA at least behind its horrible resolutions.

Oh come on that's ridiculous. Bad AI is not what makes RE5 a Resident Evil game. Resident Evil has to evolve within it's own narrative universe. If to be a RE game means making a crap game...then they can continue with that. But I don't think they are tied to any of this, they can evolve and retain the very same feel.

I thought what made RE, RE was that it was scary. RE5 is not scary in the slightest - part of that is to do with the AI. They don't even play on light and shadow like they said they would.

Let's be real... these are zombies we're talking about. Haven't you seen any zombie movies? They're not smart at all. The whole feel of the game would be changed if they zombies had "smart" AI, especially when you encounter zombies in the later levels.

Well the only level that doesn't look cool is probably the last level on the ship, but that's just the nature of a ship, there's not much to look at.

Yes the QA on ps3 worsen low res. textures :rolleyes: come on, the textures are the same on both version change the sharpness and for the first time the QA at least behind its horrible resolutions.

The PS3 version looks blurry because of the poor AA blurring out the detail in the textures, this is fact not opinion.

Well the only level that doesn't look cool is probably the last level on the ship, but that's just the nature of a ship, there's not much to look at.

The PS3 version looks blurry because of the poor AA blurring out the detail in the textures, this is fact not opinion.
QAA it isn't a poor filter or probably only in your opinion, but not a fact. Sure 4x AA is better but it's ridicolous define QAA poor AA when have same edge at cost of a slight blurry.

Let's be real... these are zombies we're talking about. Haven't you seen any zombie movies? They're not smart at all. The whole feel of the game would be changed if they zombies had "smart" AI, especially when you encounter zombies in the later levels.

So they're smart enough to wield weapons and get head shots, but they're not smart enough to know you're there, or exhibit any sort of complex behaviour?

They aren't exactly zombies anymore, if you read any of the files, they have all the abilities they had before but they are just controlled. They aren't brain dead.

They aren't exactly zombies anymore, if you read any of the files, they have all the abilities they had before but they are just controlled. They aren't brain dead.

Yeah, they're like puppets that are very slow, but oddly acrobatic on foot, and very nimble on high speed motorcycles.

I just recently discovered while playing around that there's selfshadowing of your characters. For example the guns that you strap to your back casts realtime shadows onto your body while you move around. Your character can also cast shadows onto your partner. Also moveable objects that have their own physics can cast shadows onto itself and other objects and the environment. Very impressive. Oh and the cutscenes are jaw dropping.

I just recently discovered while playing around that there's selfshadowing of your characters. For example the guns that you strap to your back casts realtime shadows onto your body while you move around. Your character can also cast shadows onto your partner. Also moveable objects that have their own physics can cast shadows onto itself and other objects and the environment. Very impressive.

I can't think of many recent big budget titles that don't have this feature t.b.h.

Exactly. Zombies don't exist in RE5 - but that's the very point also - their AI is awful.

Exactly. Zombies don't exist in RE5 - but that's the very point also - their AI is awful.

Well it certainly is true that theyr AI is awful, however don't think it was any better in RE4. They really can't make the AI do some insane moves because of the poor aiming and shooting mechanism IMO. The red dot is hard enough to see on its own most of the time so if they would dodge jump everytime, you would probably not hit them at all.

Then it should be easy for you to name what those games are that have SS.;)

It is: MGS4, Uncharted, Assassin's Cree, PoP, Tomb Raider Underworld/Legend, Heavenly Sword, Dead Space, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone 2, SFIV, SCIV, Silent Hill Homecoming, Mass Effect, Kameo .... just to name a couple.

Quite a few last gen games have it as well, like Silent Hill2, 3 and 4 and Shadow of the Colossus.

It is: MGS4, Uncharted, Assassin's Cree, PoP, Tomb Raider Underworld/Legend, Heavenly Sword, Dead Space, Valkyria Chronicles, Killzone 2, SFIV, SCIV, Silent Hill Homecoming, Mass Effect, Kameo .... just to name a couple.

Quite a few last gen games have it as well, like Silent Hill2, 3 and 4 and Shadow of the Colossus.

How are you so sure all of those games have SELF shadowing IN-GAME? :???: What is there like a list of self shadowing games somewhere that you simply lookup? :LOL:

Anyway I find it very hard to believe all of those games have self shadowing in-game.

The only game on my list I'm not a 100% sure about right now is Valkyria Chronicles (pretty sure it's in there too, though). All the others have it during actual gameplay. I own these games and played quite a few of them many times over. Besides, self shadowing isn't exactly hard to spot.

That's the nature of the game. You can't move and shoot at the same time. The aiming model is slow and imprecise and the enemies move towards you slowly - all to build up tension. Haven't you ever played RE games before? They're all like that.

That's the nature of the game. You can't move and shoot at the same time. The aiming model is slow and imprecise and the enemies move towards you slowly - all to build up tension. Haven't you ever played RE games before? They're all like that.
Uh...you can't say the point of a game is for it to be crap. None of these things build up tension - RE5 is not tense or scary and none of those things artificially make it so.

There are plenty of instances in RE5 that are tense and scary when you play the game for the very first time but it has nothing to do with the controls and everything to do with the sounds and visuals. Capcom could've made it even more scarier if they wanted to by including the Regenerators from RE4 or Hunters from RE1.

The controls are actually very good if you're good. For example you don't need to aim and move at the same time, you just simply stop aiming and reposition yourself then reaim, it doesn't take much effort or much time. The fact you can strafe now is even better and easier.

Playing it right now at about Chapter 3 and it's neither scary nor tense. I'm actually getting a little bored. But it's pretty fun and looks great(excpet outsides well lit look not so great).And it;s not because I'm not good.I've not died once so far on normal.
I really thik they need to decide to make a shift forward or go back.
Either go back to the truly tense days of the originals or go full out action ith more up to date controls. You can have tension with more modern standard controls. FEAR 2 was very tense, and you lost none of the movement and control.

Back