Resident Evil 5

This game is not very good. At least, it's nowhere as good as I'd thought it'd be. I'm surprised Edge gave it as much as a 7/10.

To each his own, I'm loving this game and it has tons of replay value too. This game is easily equal to GoW. When Capcom releases the VS mode it will be even better.

i don't understand all the hate about this game, i loved it, to me it's what all coop games should be, a lot of fun, some intense boss battle, and very good graphics, i had no complaint about the gameplay, it worked very well all the time.
Special mention to the cutscenes, it's the first game i play that made me sure many scenes were CG but in fact these were not. MT framework is a very impressive engine.

How do you equip weapons to Sheena (or whatshername?)
I can't make her use a machine gun, unless I let her use up all her ammo on the currently equipped pistol, whereby she automatically equips the next gun in her inventory.
In the screen before stages there is no "equip" option for her, only for the player controlled guy (who imo is ridiculously "wide", so that it made me doubt I have something wron in my displays aspect ratio setting).

It's good in coop, not so good in single player. At least, that's my conclusion from listening to podcasts and reading forums. ;)

You can't force Sheva? to use any weapons other than through doing exactly that: starving her from the ammo for the gun you don't want her to use. Or the ammo you don't want her to waste.

At least, that's what I read.

To each his own, I'm loving this game and it has tons of replay value too. This game is easily equal to GoW. When Capcom releases the VS mode it will be even better.

AI is terrible (zombies shouldn't be an excuse for terrible AI), controls are bad, level design is dated and gets more and more boring. In fact the level design gets beyond awful - throwing in a bunch of bad AI enemies into a room to make it artificially difficult. The graphics get worse throughout the game also. It's just not very good in comparison to other games this generation. Feels lazy. The boss fights are also incredibly old fashioned - repeated tasks over and over for too long in order to beat them.

Edit: I'm over exaggerating in that paragraph. But the game's mechanics and failures tend to grate as you move on through the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a pretty good time playing through. My only complaint is it hasn't changed much since 4, so if you spent a lot of time playing that one, there isn't too much that's new to be excited about.

I'm playing through in single player first, and I'm liking it. I'll probably play through in co-op afterwards. The spot I'm at, Sheeva keeps getting chainsawed, and that is kind of annoying. A real partner would make it easier.

Edit: Oh, and I've made her pretty useful by giving her the rifle and keeping it upgraded. She doesn't miss much, but rarely gets headshots, so keeping the rifle damage up means 1 shot kills on most of the infected.

AI is terrible (zombies shouldn't be an excuse for terrible AI), controls are bad, level design is dated and gets more and more boring. In fact the level design gets beyond awful - throwing in a bunch of bad AI enemies into a room to make it artificially difficult. The graphics get worse throughout the game also. It's just not very good in comparison to other games this generation. Feels lazy. The boss fights are also incredibly old fashioned - repeated tasks over and over for too long in order to beat them.

Edit: I'm over exaggerating in that paragraph. But the game's mechanics and failures tend to grate as you move on through the game.

The controls are fine, the graphics are among the best of the best, the level design is very good, the enemy AI is OK and your partner AI is quite good if you know how to exploit it.

It's good in coop, not so good in single player. At least, that's my conclusion from listening to podcasts and reading forums. ;)

You can't force Sheva? to use any weapons other than through doing exactly that: starving her from the ammo for the gun you don't want her to use. Or the ammo you don't want her to waste.

At least, that's what I read.

Actually single player is very good if you know HOW the game is supposed to be played.;)

Sheva has two modes: Attack and Cover

When in Attack mode she"ll use the more powerful weapon in her inventory and actively engage the enemy on her own. When in Cover mode she'll cover you and use a less powerful weapon and will stay closer to you. You have to know which mode to put her in according to the situation and she'll provide very good help.

The same applies to Chris when you're playing as Sheva.

How do you equip weapons to Sheena (or whatshername?)
I can't make her use a machine gun, unless I let her use up all her ammo on the currently equipped pistol, whereby she automatically equips the next gun in her inventory.
In the screen before stages there is no "equip" option for her, only for the player controlled guy (who imo is ridiculously "wide", so that it made me doubt I have something wron in my displays aspect ratio setting).

Read what I posted above.

I keep her on cover/defend and she pretty much sticks with the rifle as long as she has ammo and pot shots. It works out really well. She switches to her SMG when guys get close, and that is when she kind of sucks, because I haven't upgraded it.

Basically I use my pistol, shotgun and I hang onto the magnum so she won't waste it. I gave her the rifle and the SMG.

I'm trying to fully upgrade the rifle to get the bow, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that before I hit the end of the game. I'm also not sure if that will leave me with enough money to upgrade the weapons I'm using.

IMO you should'nt upgrade to the bow just yet, it's not really worth it. The bow costs 50,000 and that's in additiion to the cost of maxing out the rifle in order to get the bow. Also the bow has no aiming recticle so when you play as Sheva the weapon kinda sucks. Better to max out a rifle and then unlock the infinite ammo for said rifle.

Anyway when I venture into dangerous territory I put Sheva or Chris into attack mode and have them clear out most of the enemies ahead then I'll put them back into Cover mode and start cleaning up the leftovers. I usually equip Sheva with a SMG and a pistol since the ammo is easy to find. Like you, I never dare give her a magnum because she'll just waste precious magnum rounds.

The controls are fine, the graphics are among the best of the best, the level design is very good, the enemy AI is OK and your partner AI is quite good if you know how to exploit it.

Actually single player is very good if you know HOW the game is supposed to be played.;)

Sheva has two modes: Attack and Cover

When in Attack mode she"ll use the more powerful weapon in her inventory and actively engage the enemy on her own. When in Cover mode she'll cover you and use a less powerful weapon and will stay closer to you. You have to know which mode to put her in according to the situation and she'll provide very good help.

The same applies to Chris when you're playing as Sheva.

Read what I posted above.

I know how to play the game and have hardly died. I don't really mind the controls - but not being able to move at all and watching Chris turn on a dime is idiotic - meaning you have to run around in circles to get away from enemys when they get too close.

Sheva's AI is pretty good, but the enemy AI is awful. I can walk past them and they'll spin around on the spot...or just run at me, to stop and walk when they get close. It's not even near clever. And the level-design gets awful in that they think it's fun/hard to throw in lots of bad AI enemies into one small room.

The graphics look good to begin with, but behind the outdoors levels, indoors is bad. Low-textured etc.

And the QTE's...

I know how to play the game and have hardly died. I don't really mind the controls - but not being able to move at all and watching Chris turn on a dime is idiotic - meaning you have to run around in circles to get away from enemys when they get too close.

Sheva's AI is pretty good, but the enemy AI is awful. I can walk past them and they'll spin around on the spot...or just run at me, to stop and walk when they get close. It's not even near clever. And the level-design gets awful in that they think it's fun/hard to throw in lots of bad AI enemies into one small room.

The graphics look good to begin with, but behind the outdoors levels, indoors is bad. Low-textured etc.

And the QTE's...

Just because you don't die a lot doesn't mean you know HOW to play the game. If I run around in circles for hours and only kill a few enemies because I'm too afraid to die doesn't mean I know how to play the game. To play the game the way it was designed you don't need to run in circles, you just do a quick 180 if walking backwards is too slow for the given situation. If you need to run in circles then you're not very good at the game. The only time when you need to run around is during boss battles and that's a given.

I know a guy who said he played the Public Assembly demo level by running around avoiding enemies until the time ran out... that's not something to brag about and that's not how you're supposed to play that level. In that particular level there are actually two places where you could hide and kill enemies without even leaving the hiding spot.

BTW which indoor level has bad textures? And what about the QTEs? Better than watching a cutscene with zero interactivity. It's not overly used. The only graphical flaw I saw in the game is some minor texture popup from a distance. The framerate on the Xbox version running at 720P mode hardly ever drops below 30fps.

I'm also scratching my head over your "bad level design" remark. Every level has a purpose, there are big levels and small levels both indoor and outdoor with multiple floors. In fact a lot of the levels could double as multiplayer VS maps too.

The game is near perfect for a TPS.

IMO you should'nt upgrade to the bow just yet, it's not really worth it. The bow costs 50,000 and that's in additiion to the cost of maxing out the rifle in order to get the bow. Also the bow has no aiming recticle so when you play as Sheva the weapon kinda sucks. Better to max out a rifle and then unlock the infinite ammo for said rifle.

Anyway when I venture into dangerous territory I put Sheva or Chris into attack mode and have them clear out most of the enemies ahead then I'll put them back into Cover mode and start cleaning up the leftovers. I usually equip Sheva with a SMG and a pistol since the ammo is easy to find. Like you, I never dare give her a magnum because she'll just waste precious magnum rounds.

The bow is so much fun and its pretty much one hit kill too. Most of the time you are fighting so close that you don't really need to aim.

I disagree about the level design and graphics (I think both are great), but the dumb zombies, difficult controls and boss fights have been like this from the very first RE, and that's what makes RE5 an RE game. Take those things away and it wouldn't be Resident Evil anymore - it would be Dead Space.

My only beef is the QTE sequences. I'm not really understanding the timing. If the screen flashes to hit a certain button, you should be able to hit the button anytime during the screen flash. But in reality, the window is much smaller.

Just because you don't die a lot doesn't mean you know HOW to play the game. If I run around in circles for hours and only kill a few enemies because I'm too afraid to die doesn't mean I know how to play the game. To play the game the way it was designed you don't need to run in circles, you just do a quick 180 if walking backwards is too slow for the given situation. If you need to run in circles then you're not very good at the game. The only time when you need to run around is during boss battles and that's a given.

I know a guy who said he played the Public Assembly demo level by running around avoiding enemies until the time ran out... that's not something to brag about and that's not how you're supposed to play that level. In that particular level there are actually two places where you could hide and kill enemies without even leaving the hiding spot.
The levels with the axe excecutioner and the girl who turns ito a tentacleheaded monster are to easy to pass accidentally without the player needing to do much more than run around for a while until the timer runs out or you accidentally enter a door that ends the level.
That wouldn't be so bad if that was later in the game, but as they are in the beginning, many players will accidentally just skip these levels while getting accustomed to the controls, thus missing some gameplay.

In for example the Metal Gear games have similar mechanic, but being a slower stealth game by nature it's not so easy to accidentally run through a level.

A minor thing, but something that's been killing the game for me somewhat. Hopefully the game picks up from there.

RE5 feels like the latest Silent Hill, it feels like in the quest to bring the game closer to western audiences the charm of the game is lost.

IMHO good game online, coop is the heart of the game but lose much offline. I.A. of Sheva is terrible, a pure idiot, setting to hard mode and she becomes the real enemy in the game. Graphically the cut scenes are even better of MGS 4, characters models incredible but the textures are really bads, I think the engine is an excellent job to enchant eyes but technically imho not shows nothing of impossible. However MT framework on ps3 sucks. 5 gb of mandatory install (after three years not again this story, it's a shame) , dips everywhere, cuts here and there, come on capcom, every software house are improves multi developing on ps3 (even ubisoft who have the more difficult at the beginning) and you worsen? It's time to use the sony tools. Take notes at GDC.

BTW which indoor level has bad textures? And what about the QTEs? Better than watching a cutscene with zero interactivity. It's not overly used. The only graphical flaw I saw in the game is some minor texture popup from a distance. The framerate on the Xbox version running at 720P mode hardly ever drops below 30fps.

I'm also scratching my head over your "bad level design" remark. Every level has a purpose, there are big levels and small levels both indoor and outdoor with multiple floors. In fact a lot of the levels could double as multiplayer VS maps too.

The game is near perfect for a TPS.

It's not near perfect for a TPS, in fact it's so behind the grain that it's struggling to be competent.

I was talking about boss fights. All indoor levels have bad textures, uninspired designs and really doesn't look that great. The QTEs are bad because you die as soon as you fail at missing a button. A QTE that isn't fatal is fine, but a bunch of Fatal QTEs are cheap - they have no purpose other than to annoy. They don't increase interaction, they reduce it by making you watch the screen for a button, rather than the cutscene itself.

Bad level design - throwing bad AI enemies into a small room to make it difficult and "interesting" - this is mainly aimed towards all the indoor scenarios. I was enjoying the outdoor parts of the game...but all the flaws began to show themselves as you continue.

And then the puzzles are so easy they are ridiculous. The mirror's puzzle has been done tens of times before - it's like the team were looking at other games because they were at a loss for inspiration and just hammed the whole lot up.

I disagree about the level design and graphics (I think both are great), but the dumb zombies, difficult controls and boss fights have been like this from the very first RE, and that's what makes RE5 an RE game. Take those things away and it wouldn't be Resident Evil anymore - it would be Dead Space.

My only beef is the QTE sequences. I'm not really understanding the timing. If the screen flashes to hit a certain button, you should be able to hit the button anytime during the screen flash. But in reality, the window is much smaller.

Oh come on that's ridiculous. Bad AI is not what makes RE5 a Resident Evil game. Resident Evil has to evolve within it's own narrative universe. If to be a RE game means making a crap game...then they can continue with that. But I don't think they are tied to any of this, they can evolve and retain the very same feel.

I thought what made RE, RE was that it was scary. RE5 is not scary in the slightest - part of that is to do with the AI. They don't even play on light and shadow like they said they would.

I have enjoyed my first single player in normal mode. After that I played lots of chapter select (mostly 5.1) to earn money and exchange points. I now have the Hydra shotgun (3 barrel) unlimited ammo, M500 Magnum (extremely powerful 5000 in each shot)unlimited ammo and the Gatling gun unlimited ammo. Me an my brother has just started on the beginning in veteran mode co op and we have lots and lots of fun. Recommended!

The bow is so much fun and its pretty much one hit kill too. Most of the time you are fighting so close that you don't really need to aim.

Well I actually like being able to aim with a laser at enemies instead of just firing randomly and using miissed shots as a reference point. I don't know the bow just doesn't do it for me when I tried it, it's too slow and accuracy is too random.

The levels with the axe excecutioner and the girl who turns ito a tentacleheaded monster are to easy to pass accidentally without the player needing to do much more than run around for a while until the timer runs out or you accidentally enter a door that ends the level.
That wouldn't be so bad if that was later in the game, but as they are in the beginning, many players will accidentally just skip these levels while getting accustomed to the controls, thus missing some gameplay.

In the Axe Execution level you have two places to hide and kill enemies without worrying about having to run around. The first is inside the bus, you can stay there and kill any enemies that enter. The Axe guy cannot enter the bus, in fact he doesn't even notice you. You can actually fire at him from inside the bus and when he's down on his knees you exit the bus and do a melee attack if you're brave.

If you don't like the bus then climb to the top of the building where you start the level and wait until enemies climb up the ladder and just shoot them and use the grenades that you have. As long as you have enough ammo and do some melee attacks to save ammo you'd be through the level without getting a scratch.

Of course if you like more of a challenge and are greedy for money then you'd be roaming around the level jumping from one platform to another collecting stuff along the way while killing enemies using the two transformers and oil and gas tanks to help you out.

As for the level with the Tentacle girl, well that level is where you get the shotgun so you don't need to run around to kill her. You just use what you're given. One hit from the shot gun and she's on the ground then you and your partner can finish her off. You're supposed to shoot the tentacles since that's the weak spot.

I like the way the levels are designed, it rewards good players with easier kills and not so good players with wasted ammo and constant running.

I thought what made RE, RE was that it was scary. RE5 is not scary in the slightest - part of that is to do with the AI. They don't even play on light and shadow like they said they would.

I found the sections with the Lickers to be quite terrifying even when armed with powerful weapons.

It's not near perfect for a TPS, in fact it's so behind the grain that it's struggling to be competent.

I was talking about boss fights. All indoor levels have bad textures, uninspired designs and really doesn't look that great. The QTEs are bad because you die as soon as you fail at missing a button. A QTE that isn't fatal is fine, but a bunch of Fatal QTEs are cheap - they have no purpose other than to annoy. They don't increase interaction, they reduce it by making you watch the screen for a button, rather than the cutscene itself.

Maybe you're playing the PS3 version which has blurry textures. ;)

I think the QTEs are done fairly well, yes you die if you miss a button press...uh hello....that's the point. You get to restart the QTE very quickly without a long wait. If you have quick and acurrate reflexes then you win, if you're too slow or push the wrong button you lose. So what do you suggest the QTE be replaced by? A cutscene where you always win?

Bad level design - throwing bad AI enemies into a small room to make it difficult and "interesting" - this is mainly aimed towards all the indoor scenarios. I was enjoying the outdoor parts of the game...but all the flaws began to show themselves as you continue.

I don't know what game you've been playing but the small rooms only have a couple enemies. It's the larger outside environments that have many enemies. Some medium sized rooms do have many enemies but it also has barracades you can hide behind then jump to fire.

And then the puzzles are so easy they are ridiculous. The mirror's puzzle has been done tens of times before - it's like the team were looking at other games because they were at a loss for inspiration and just hammed the whole lot up.

I thought the mirror puzzle was kinda cool, it fit in with the ruins theme. Yes it's been done before but that was a tny part of the game anyway.

Back