Resident Evil 4 - Remake [XBSX|S, PS4, PS5, PC]

Worse in what way?... well at least it explains why runs so worse on XSX (but why put better raytracing if it cost 5-10 fps), though I barely noticed RT on any console version, outside some reflections here and there
I m still like "what RT?"

Worse in what way?... well at least it explains why runs so worse on XSX (but why put better raytracing if it cost 5-10 fps), though I barely noticed RT on any console version, outside some reflections here and there
Wouldn't explain why it also runs worse with RT OFF.

Really guys! Where da fuq did you spot RT? A lot of games say RT mode and they have barely to zero any impact.
I simply have not spotted what the hell does RT do in this game. Same with Forespoken.
Surely games like R&C do EXCELLENT use of RT. But most games are literally worthless. Its as if they put some minimum use of RT just so for marketing reasons to have checked it in as a mode.

Really guys! Where da fuq did you spot RT? A lot of games say RT mode and they have barely to zero any impact.
I simply have not spotted what the hell does RT do in this game. Same with Forespoken.
Surely games like R&C do EXCELLENT use of RT. But most games are literally worthless. Its as if they put some minimum use of RT just so for marketing reasons to have checked it in as a mode.
I think RT mode is indeed worthless in this game. There are not that many reflections and many (some very obvious) don't even have RT. Though the framerate is quite solid using perf + RT.

But the lighting is definitely bad as it creates some weird shimmering in many areas, do they use some kind of VRS for lighting? This game could have really benefitted from RTGI + reduced resolution (like Metro Exodus solution). And some textures are clearly directly coming from PS4 gen and are very low resolution.

We are quite far away from some kind of sweet spot between IQ, resolution and graphical fidelity here. They really need to ditch PS4 gen and go full next-gen so they could maybe better improve their engine on less hardware.

RT shadows are harder to notice, and sometimes can feel duller, because we are accustomed to hard and dark shadows everywhere in games.

Games are also designed around having only a few shadow casting lights. RT shadows really only stand out when there are lots of shadow casting lights like in Hellblade 2. RE would benefit the most from proper GI but for whatever reason Capcom RT has been mediocre at best.

Ask him to benchmark Vega 56 and Vega 64 at the same clock speed and ask him to explain why Vega 64 isn't faster despite its additional CU's.

So i linked him this article Vega 64 vs. Vega 56 Clock-for-Clock Shader Comparison (Gaming) | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks and asked if he can comment on that. To my surprise he answered pretty quickly

"Unfortunately I don't have time to investigate the linked article, but speaking in general, there are many reasons why a specific graphics workload may not scale in performance with the number of CUs. First, you would need to determine whether this shader is really a bottleneck. Maybe the application is CPU-bound or GPU spends most of the time waiting on some barriers or other synchronization. If the shader is really the bottleneck, then it can be limited by memory reads/writes or many other factors. Efficient utilization of cache memories is also important. There is also a question whether the draw call or compute dispatch has sufficient parameters to fill the entire GPU - in terms of workgroup size, number of workgroups launched etc. Occupancy can also be a limit and usually results from the number of vector registers used by a shader. Shaders are rarely limited by pure ALU floating-point computation throughput."

lesson learned, i should shut up and dont speak about subjects i have absolutely no clue and i should not pick a single quote from article and treat it as ultimate source of true.

I think RT mode is indeed worthless in this game. There are not that many reflections and many (some very obvious) don't even have RT. Though the framerate is quite solid using perf + RT.

But the lighting is definitely bad as it creates some weird shimmering in many areas, do they use some kind of VRS for lighting? This game could have really benefitted from RTGI + reduced resolution (like Metro Exodus solution). And some textures are clearly directly coming from PS4 gen and are very low resolution.

We are quite far away from some kind of sweet spot between IQ, resolution and graphical fidelity here. They really need to ditch PS4 gen and go full next-gen so they could maybe better improve their engine on less hardware.
So it's the lighting the cause of horrible pixellation on ps5 vegetation? Thought it was just bad CBR. Strangely on xbox console such effects is very subtle compared the ps5, maybe higher resolution lighting on XSX? Would explain why run worse. Very curious about the worse RT too on ps5 spotted by John, I can't wait to know of what he talked about.

So it's the lighting the cause of horrible pixellation on ps5 vegetation? Thought it was just bad CBR. Strangely on xbox console such effects is very subtle compared the ps5, maybe higher resolution lighting on XSX? Would explain why run worse. Very curious about the worse RT too on ps5 spotted by John, I can't wait to know of what he talked about.
On X at least based on the video, it shows supposedly slightly higher pixel resolution and brighter lighting. If there is indeed some form of VRS maybe that is also at play for darker areas.

On X at least based on the video, it shows supposedly slightly higher pixel resolution and brighter lighting. If there is indeed some form of VRS maybe that is also at play for darker areas.
XSX doesn't seem higher pixel resolution to me imo; too many misleading the better sharpening to higher resolution, but not seems to me looking to the subpixels details on both version

I think both problems are occurring as there is some shimmering on the distant vegetation. But for me the flickering caused by the lighting is more distracting.
The geometry is clearly rendered at higher resolution on PS5. But the sharpening pass is stronger on XSX. The lighing on some stuff (like the roofs) seems to be rendered at a higher resolution on XSX. I think they use very different implementation for many rendering elements. But here it seems the solutions used on XSX game seem to yield a better final result.

But it was expected as the resolution of lighting / textures is more important than resolution of geometry for the final IQ. This is the basis on my critics about VRS and how it works. With DRS it increases geometry resolution while reducing assets resolution and in the end the final image is always looking worse for me.

I think both problems are occurring as there is some shimmering on the distant vegetation. But for me the flickering caused by the lighting is more distracting.

The geometry is clearly rendered at higher resolution on PS5. But the sharpening pass is stronger on XSX. The lighing on some stuff (like the roofs) seems to be rendered at a higher resolution on XSX. I think they use very different implementation for many rendering elements. But here it seems the solutions used on XSX game seem to yield a better final result.

But it was expected as the resolution of lighting / textures is more important than resolution of geometry for the final IQ. This is the basis on my critics about VRS and how it works. With DRS it increases geometry resolution while reducing assets resolution and in the end the final image is always looking worse for me.
What you are saying does not really jive with the visuals. If there was a stronger sharpening pass on Xbox, its vegetation and geometry would have *more* aliasing than the PS5 version (sharpening increases local contrasts and thus the visibility of aliasing). Yet the PS5 version has more aliasing on all types of surfaces in comparison to XSX, especially in movement of those surfaces like vegetation.

What you are saying does not really jive with the visuals. If there was a stronger sharpening pass on Xbox, its vegetation and geometry would have *more* aliasing than the PS5 version (sharpening increases local contrasts and thus the visibility of aliasing). Yet the PS5 version has more aliasing on all types of surfaces in comparison to XSX, especially in movement of those surfaces like vegetation.
I'm not a tech expert, but from what I knew lower resolution lighting buffer cause more shimmering/pixelations in subpixels details, especially in motion, more than aggressive sharpening pass in slightly lower resolution. In fact ps5 has shimmering when the lighting pass through the vegetation imo

Last edited:
On still images resolution of geometry still looks higher on PS5. I don't have the XSX so I can't compare in motion but I do believe you here as this is told by many who compared both games. I think CBR (or/and TAA) implementations are likely very different and could cause the differences. They were already (very noticeable for me) differences of rendering in RE2 and RE3 so it's not a surprise.

Also having a stronger sharpening pass doesn't mean increased aliasing in motion. It really depends of the implementation in the pipeline. Just look at what they did in Horizon FW in the performance mode. They actually almost completely removed the shimmering on vegetation while actually including a strong sharpening pass. It all works flawlessly now in that game.

So i linked him this article Vega 64 vs. Vega 56 Clock-for-Clock Shader Comparison (Gaming) | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks and asked if he can comment on that. To my surprise he answered pretty quickly

"Unfortunately I don't have time to investigate the linked article, but speaking in general, there are many reasons why a specific graphics workload may not scale in performance with the number of CUs. First, you would need to determine whether this shader is really a bottleneck. Maybe the application is CPU-bound or GPU spends most of the time waiting on some barriers or other synchronization. If the shader is really the bottleneck, then it can be limited by memory reads/writes or many other factors. Efficient utilization of cache memories is also important. There is also a question whether the draw call or compute dispatch has sufficient parameters to fill the entire GPU - in terms of workgroup size, number of workgroups launched etc. Occupancy can also be a limit and usually results from the number of vector registers used by a shader. Shaders are rarely limited by pure ALU floating-point computation throughput."

lesson learned, i should shut up and dont speak about subjects i have absolutely no clue and i should not pick a single quote from article and treat it as ultimate source of true.

You're still loved and I think it's awesome you have access to someone like him to ask questions too!

Do you think he would be up for registering here to contribute to discussions?

Back