Reeves: 1M PS3 Pal sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know in UK (your location), but i can't disagree more for France. Price is the primary factor.

Well the UK does make up roughly a third of the European market.

Reeves was quoted as saying sales in France and Iberia were strong, wasnt he? Guess I was wrong regarding price sensitivity in France. Still I'm expecting Sony to get the PS3 down to £325/£350 before the end of the year. I believe some form of GT will be released aswell, and its still the biggest franchise in the world. That along with Pro Evo, GTA 4, Heavenly Sword and Uncharted should help boost significantly.

Certainly the PS2 sold well at £300, in the five months before the first price-cut (which I believe was £30). Given what the PS3 offers (multimedia-wise) above the PS2, I expect UK sales to be strong when the these games are released.

Reeves statement is misleading: if france and spain sales are on par, it means that they are on the low side as the countries have really not the same population :)

Did you check if Sony was lying when they compared it to the PS1 or PS2 launch, while they may have been bottleneck´d back then with the numbers they could ship it doesn´t change the fact (if it´s true) that they have more PS3´s out now in a shorter timeframe.

Lol PS2 was out only in Japan for the first six months..... And PS3 sold worldwide what PS2 sold in Japan only for the same period. If you want comparisons read that:

Wii comparisons: At 27 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 115.5 weeks (November 26, 2003), where DS was at 31.9 weeks (July 9, 2005), where PS2 was at 26.1 weeks (August 27, 2000), and where PSP was at 55.3 weeks (December 27, 2005).

PS3 comparisons: At 30 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 3.5 weeks (March 22, 2000), where PSP was at 11.7 weeks (February 24, 2005), where GCN was at 15.9 weeks (December 29, 2001), and where Wii was at 4.9 weeks (December 30, 2006).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares are 11.4 / 88.6, bringing total shares to 25.9 / 74.1. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 188.3 weeks (January 11, 2011).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, PS2 and DS meet up in 27.9 weeks (December 15, 2007) at ~20.85 million apiece.

On week 22, total hardware sales for the year have passed 7 million. Last year this happened on week 32. The year before that, week 48.

Nintendo hardware sales for the year have reached 5 million. Last year this happened on week 32. The year before that, week 51.

Microsoft hardware sales for the year have reached 100K. Last year this happened on week 47. In 2005 and 2004 it wasn't reached, while in 2003 it happened on week 52.
From JoshuaJslone gaf forums for japan sales as they are the ones easier to track down. Look at the PS3/PS2 sales and don't let PR people fool you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I'm not having that. Europe is less price sensitive than the US. And content is king.

Are you basing this on anything else than stuff you made up yourself?

It doesn't make sense. USA spends much more than the UK (and more than pretty much any other countries after JPN) on video games and consoles, they also have a higher GDP per capita than UK (and most of the rest of the world aswell).

I have a hard time believing UK is completely different than the rest of europe. Even here i Norway, a place where the Xbox 1 and GC sold less than 5% of the PS2, and a place with more or less the highest income in the world, people aren't buying it because of price.

Content alone doesn't matter if the price of entry is to high. The european boosts in sales with every price cut seems to go a long with that fact.

1 million people bought it with fewer titles available

It took them 2 months to sell 1 million (not supply constrained) at launch. And Europe is Sony land. I wouldn't jump the gun and say sales will shoot through the roof.

How many consoles did sony sell during the launch week? 500k? 600k? That leaves quite a low demand after the initial launch hype.

It took them 2 months to sell 1 million (not supply constrained) at launch. And Europe is Sony land. I wouldn't jump the gun and say sales will shoot through the roof.

How many consoles did sony sell during the launch week? 500k? 600k? That leaves quite a low demand after the initial launch hype.

They were at 800k after two weeks. So for the last 7 weeks, they have been averaging 28.57k a week in Europe

Roughly:
120k/mo EU +

130k/mo US
80k/mo JP

~330k/mo total sales (x16)

~5.3 million / year at this rate.

~16 million by 2010 at current rates.

*edited

It doesn't make sense. USA spends much more than the UK (and pretty much any other countries after JPN) on video games and consoles, they also have a higher GDP per capita than UK (and most of the rest of the world aswell).

I have a hard time believing UK is completely different than the rest of europe. Even here i Norway, a place where the Xbox 1 and GC sold less than 5% of the PS2, and a place with more or less the highest income in the world, people aren't buying it because of price.

Content alone doesn't matter if the price of entry is to high. The european boosts in sales with every price cut seems to go a long with that fact.

Considering the population is five times bigger, I'm hardly surprised :rolleyes:

There's hardly anything on the thing (I'm not including the PS Network), apart from Resistance, Motorstorm and VF5. None are system-sellers. Notice I said a price-cut will definately help, but so will having GT and Pro Evo, consistently massive system-sellers, along with fresh IP's such as Heavenly Sword and Uncharted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roughly:
120k/mo EU +
130k/mo US
80k/mo JP

~330k/mo total sales (x16)

~5.3 million / year at this rate.

~16 million by 2010 at current rates.

*edited

But thats useless. Everybody knows sales of consumer items do not remain static. If that was the case, the DS would be buried after its poor start, and the Wii will sell around 200m units...

But thats useless. Everybody knows sales of consumer items do not remain static. If that was the case, the DS would be buried after its poor start, and the Wii will sell around 200m units...

Sure things will change, but it does paint a very clear picture for exactly what the current situation is right now.

Hopefully Sony realizes this and will do something* about it sooner rather than later.

*pricedrop

It doesn't make sense. USA spends much more than the UK (and more than pretty much any other countries after JPN) on video games and consoles, they also have a higher GDP per capita than UK (and most of the rest of the world aswell).

Apparently the UK spends twice as much on games as the US per head of population.

gama_17-1-07.jpg

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12413

Apparently the UK spends twice as much on games as the US per head of population.

gama_17-1-07.jpg

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12413

Nice find.

Chef O. All three manufacturers have their futures planned out. I mean what do you think LBP/Home/The Agency/GT/HS/Uncharted/ KZ2 are about?

I dont see why Nintendo or MS should be crapping themselves, but I think there's a lot of scaremongering going on in this thread. I mean for crying out loud, a price-cut would have been in Sony's plans from day one, and Sony WWS have more games in development than both Nintendo and MS. Companies do have contingency plans, they are capable of making adjustments. They should not be viewed as inert behemoth corporations, unable of adapting to the market that they themselves helped develop.

They were at 800k after two weeks. So for the last 7 weeks, they have been averaging 28.57k a week in Europe

That's pretty solid. MS ships roughly 40% of their consoles there, and sells around 50k/week in the US where the other 60% go. That should put them somewhere around 20k/week for EU if the ratio is still holding.

Sorry, I'm not having that. Europe is less price sensitive than the US. And content is king.

Seems like anything I say on here is jumped on here by you. Not sure what your problem is.

I don't have a problem. I just think people are living in outer space if they think a few exclusives are going to push sales of a $600 console 'through the roof'.

Nothing will push Sony's sales through the roof until the price comes down, simple as that. Even MS is struggling to sell consoles at $400, their sales #'s are falling, and they have 5x's the amount of content. The market just is not there.

As for EU being less price sensitive, that's nothing but conjecture and we haven't seen a thing to prove that. In fact, weekly sales are now far lower than PS2 sales ever were, which is direct evidence to the contrary.

The problem of allot of people here is that there are making assumptions like US = Europe. Really when I see some people describing the situation I ask myself often in which (parallel maybe) Europe I live.

The strong xbox 360 line up is very nice and all but not allot of people are interested. Even if the 360 for now has better value for money. Yesterday I was in dreamland and I found it rather sad to see allot of 360 titles to gathering dust. They had a shipment of Forza 2 and there was no animo whatsoever. (Ok, I was not that sad because I could pike some up very cheap :p )

I don't have problems to find a Wii. If I look on eBay I can find one brand new for 300€ including four games, shipped tomorrow. In mediamarkt Roeselare they have a pallet of these things selling at 230€ (20€ less) If you go over the border in Germany and visit a local saturn shop you will also find pallets of these things.

About the price. Don't forget that some of us where now paying not that much more for the PS3 then what we have paid for the PS2. I've paid about Belgian 22000 Belgian francs for my PS2, while my PS3 (if paid in Belgian francs) would be roughly 24000 francs. And I think it's not that weird to say that as an unit the PS3 has an overall better value for money at launch than the PS2 ? We are also used to be paying more for stuff. It's joke to think that it is only Sony that does the 1$ = 1€ "conversion".

But yes the PS3 needs a price drop here. Not because they aren't selling but because like they would sell allot more. The PS2 also became allot popular with the price drop.

Lol PS2 was out only in Japan for the first six months..... And PS3 sold worldwide what PS2 sold in Japan only for the same period. If you want comparisons read that:

From JoshuaJslone gaf forums for japan sales as they are the ones easier to track down. Look at the PS3/PS2 sales and don't let PR people fool you :)

Arent we talking about Europe only here?

Arent we talking about Europe only here?

Obvisously not since the numbers wouldn´t add up then :)

Positive news (up for discussion of course) from Sony has to be killed as fast as possible. The PR piece centered on PS3 sales being better and faster than the PS2 which obviously doesn´t fit some people since it could be called good news...

Acording to several people that hate Sony, they hardly sold more than a few 1000, i guess those numbers doesn´t work anymore, so now the launch was fantastic?

Obvisously not since the numbers wouldn´t add up then :)

Positive news (up for discussion of course) from Sony has to be killed as fast as possible. The PR piece centered on PS3 sales being better and faster than the PS2 which obviously doesn´t fit some people since it could be called good news...

Well the thread says "pal sales" and in Japan AFAIK they are NTSC-J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back