Reeves: 1M PS3 Pal sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? What does GT3 being smaller than GT2 have anything to do with this? GT3 isn't a prologue. GT3 was the next incarnation of the series. A sequel.

Here is the Grand Turismo sales.
Code:
Title                            Japan America Others  Total 
Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec		1.89	7.11	5.84	14.84
	Gran Turismo		2.55	3.99	4.31	10.85
	Gran Turismo 2		1.71	3.96	3.70	9.37
	Gran Turismo 4		1.10	2.57	4.52	8.19
	Gran Turismo 3		1.87	0.00	0.00	1.87
	Gran Turismo Concept	0.43	0.00	[B]1.13[/B]	1.56
	Gran Turismo 4 Prologue	0.79	0.00	[B]0.57[/B]	1.36

GT4 prologue didn't exactly sell very well. Neither Did GT Concept. Both were prologues to the main games, the sales were terrible for being in the Gran Turismo Franchise.

You have no idea if this is true. This is only something your basing on your opinion, and a ridiculous opinion at that, most people haven't tried the PS3 controller. Whatever platform is lead is largely irrelevant for multiplatform sales, as long as the differences are minor. Are you telling me people in europe are going to rush out and buy a €600 console, because Pro Evo runs slightly better on the PS3?

Part of the reason that GT3 sales were so good, was because it was released on new hardware. Considering how long Polyphony have been working on the next GT, I would expect something 'revolutionary', even from a 'prologue'. Look at GT4 Prologue. Gamers already saw that GT3 was already out on the PS2. This time its different, as GT:HD is just one track. You cant underestimate how much of an impact it will have on sales, now matter how badly you want to ignore it.

Yeah its so different from the PS2 controller :rolleyes:

Remember those other games I mentioned...

OK, its did alright in the UK which admittedly is a significant part of the PAL market, but the rest of Europe hasnt received it aswell as GT, since racing games are more popular than FPS's.

No, they haven't recieved it aswell, because there is 7 million xbox consoles in Europe, vs 45 million PS2 consoles.

The racing genre in general, with the exception of Gran Turismo, is not selling more than FPS in europe. (And, GT sales are "inflated" in europe, because they were bundled.)

Did you actually read the post i was responding to?

Vic is talking about how a GT prologue is going to suddenly gonna give a massive push to a €600 console.
Perhaps I missed it but I cant find his post were he stated that prologue alone will specifically give a massive push to a $600 console.

I do realise that he says it will push sales though. Which depends. I cant rule out anything. GT4 prologue was limited in available quantities in stores and it was supposed to be a taste of a game that was released later on a 5 year old console (unlike GT3 which was fresh in its time). Despite that it served well at "advertising" the full GT4 and at building interest.

So although prologue on the PS3 may not sell as much as the full game that will come later it might make many people buy a PS3 sooner. There are many people that buy a console for game that isnt yet released. GT was always one of these games.

Part of the reason that GT3 sales were so good, was because it was released on new hardware. Considering how long Polyphony have been working on the next GT, I would expect something 'revolutionary', even from a 'prologue'.

Explain to me why the GT3 concept games didn't sell then? They are in the exact same position as a PS3 GT Prologue game. They released before the main game, running on new hardware.

You cant underestimate how much of an impact it will have on sales, now matter how badly you want to ignore it.

I'm not underestimating it, im just being a realist. PS3 wont sell at $600 no matter how badly YOU choose to ignore sales data.

YOU are ignoring past GT 'prologue' games sales data. GT Concept was a prologue to GT3. It was on brand new hardware, the PS2, and released early. There is nothing suggesting that the sales impact of a prologue on the PS3 would somehow sell massively more.

Basically your argument is that a GT prologue game, along with 2 multiplatform titles, are gonna massively bump PS3 sales, based on no facts, just on your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
If GT5 "Prologue" is offered at a reasonable price on PSN (under 10 quid) then I can see it boosting sales a little.

The problem with the previous "preview" versions is they wanted the same amount of cash as they did for the final completed versions.

Not many people are willing to pay £40 for basically a demo of a proper game.

Explain to me why the GT3 concept games didn't sell then? They are in the exact same position as a PS3 GT Prologue game. They released before the main game, running on new hardware.
GT concept had 3 versions. One was released only in Japan and at around the same time (probably a little later) GT3 was released in 2001, the second was released in Korea in 2002 and the third a little later in a few more territories.

They were extremely limited in both content and quantities and they had cars from an exhibition of which many were concept work that never reached the consumer.

Concept was mainly a game for car collectors and enthusiasts

Basically GT3 already stole the thunder. There was nothing left for Concept

Perhaps I missed it but I cant find his post were he stated that prologue alone will specifically give a massive push to a $600 console.
I do realise that he says it will push sales though. Which depends. I cant rule out anything. GT4 prologue was limited in available quantities in stores and it was supposed to be a taste of a game that was released later on a 5 year old console (unlike GT3 which was fresh in its time). Despite that it served well at "advertising" the full GT4 and at building interest.

So although prologue on the PS3 may not sell as much as the full game that will come later it might make many people buy a PS3 sooner. There are many people that buy a console for game that isnt yet released. GT was always one of these games.

Exactly. He seems incapable of not putting words into my mouth.

Given that GT:HD has shown what the PS3 is capable of, (albeit in limited form) I expect it to have a greater impact that GT Concept. Lets not forget, it'll also feature damage, the biggest development in the series for a long time.

GT, on a new console is a system-seller. And again, he ignores the exclusives that I mentioned earlier. Its like interacting with brick-wall. Sorry but you're obsessed with GT. Nothing to do with the Forza thread, where you couldnt put it down, is it? :LOL:

Did you write this?

if Sony could get Pro Evo 7 out early, along with GT a couple of months before Christmas, PS3 sales will go through the roof over here.
Pro Evo+GT5+GTA 4 = big sales.

I think you did.

I'm not putting words in your mouth.

edit: ignore listed

My problem is seem to ridicule anybody who suggests any kind of upturn for the PS3, before the price-cut. If thats how you feel, fine. No need to talk of people 'lapping up PR spin' which is ridiculous.

No, I'm only ridiculing people who think there will be some sort of major spike on the back of a handful of games. Not any upturn.

But nice try at redefining your argument ;)

The lapping up PR spin had to do with the people trying to argue that PS3 is doing better than PS2. I believe you were in that group, no?

You seem to have a hard time following a conversation...

Hmm...perhaps they planned a price-cut within the first year all along. You know, like most consoles...

Probably. They sure wouldn't rely on the back of two multi-platform game, and a racing game that won't see the light of day until 2008 at the earliest.

Well you should un-ignore list him as it's your mistake.

He clearly says GT5, not GT:HD "Premium" or "Prologue".

If you think full blown GT5 coming out before Christmas (which isn't going to happen) wouldn't boost PS3 sales, you really should think again.

Exactly. He seems incapable of not putting words into my mouth.

Given that GT:HD has shown what the PS3 is capable of, (albeit in limited form) I expect it to have a greater impact that GT Concept. Lets not forget, it'll also feature damage, the biggest development in the series for a long time.

GT, on a new console is a system-seller. And again, he ignores the exclusives that I mentioned earlier. Its like interacting with brick-wall. Sorry but you're obsessed with GT. Nothing to do with the Forza thread, where you couldnt put it down, is it? :LOL:

Gentlemen, the purpose of these forums is to discuss the issues of the day, not each other. So stop, or we'll get surly. :???:

If you think full blown GT5 coming out before Christmas (which isn't going to happen) wouldn't boost PS3 sales, you really should think again.

Precisely. GT Prologue will have a big impact on sales. GT5 will have a massive impact.

Ostepop's ignore list? OMG! :rolleyes:

Scooby

Did I not say the PS3 launch and its subsequent performance, was neither a disaster or an unmitigated success, but something in the middle on two ocassions? Do you have ADHD?

Oh, and once again we have been talking about GT 'Prologue' for about the last two pages. Somebody earlier said that GT5 wont come out until well into 2008. I countered saying that when it does, it will give PS3 a big sales boost, but that something would out this year.

Oh, and Scooby, have you not previously claimed that GTA 4 (another MP title) will do wonders on 360 when it comes out just after Halo 3? Please also feel free to continually ignore Unchartered/Heavenly Sword/Killzone 2. Once the exclusives drop, believe me the big mulitplatform games will help boost sales.

Please feel free to ignore the important points, and instead indulge your ego.

Some people seem to imply that the PS3 sales will not get any boost from highly anticipated multi-platform titles. Are there any specific reasons for those assumptions?

I just observed a top-10 pre-book list for the PS3 which was topped by GTA4 followed by Assassins Creed. I thought it must mean something.

He talked about a GT this christmas. Which would be the prologue which he got pointed out to him later in this discussion, and he kept insisting on that this will have a massive impact aswell

That's all well and good, and I wouldn't argue that Americans are more price sensitive than Europeans.

But, being slightly less price sensitive is a far cry from buying a $600 console en masse. And, unless I'm mistaken, Europeans are still paying more than Americans for the console in relative terms anyways, $599 euros which is nearly $800 US? Over $830 for the UK?

Any difference in price sensitivity is already eaten up by that fact they're paying 25% more than the rest of the world.

There's no way in hell a game console will sell huge numbers at that pricepoint, I don't care if we're talking Europe, Japan or the moon.

Honestly, Sony could bundle GT5 for free and it wouldn't make much difference to their sales at the $600 price point IMO.

These sales threads never turn out well. Any optimism for the PS3 (deserving or not) just draws the rain clouds of the local Sony ... critics.

Summary of th last six pages:

Consoles sell better with big game releases and price drops. What's the debate guys?

These sales threads never turn out well. Any optimism for the PS3 (deserving or not) just draws the rain clouds of the local Sony ... critics.

Summary of th last six pages:

Consoles sell better with big game releases and price drops. What's the debate guys?

I wholeheartedly agree. Any optimism regarding PS3 without a $200 price-cut is shouted-down.

Both of these factors will help the machine greatly.

He talked about a GT this christmas. Which would be the prologue which he got pointed out to him later in this discussion, and he kept insisting on that this will have a massive impact aswell
But he also said if they could get it out before Christmas, he didn't say they would.

The fact the preview version will probably come out then is neither here nor there in reference to his original point as it was hypothetical. If they did release GT5 before Christmas it would give the sales a massive boost, but like others and myself have said, GT5 is definitely not coming out before Christmas.

If the price and content (number of cars and tracks for example) is right, I think the preview version could have some impact myself all be it a very minor impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back