Reeves: 1M PS3 Pal sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am. LOL

Seriously:
PGR4+Forza2 v ...
Halo3 v ...
Lost Odyssey + Blue Dragon + Mass Effect v ...
SC5 v ...

To be fair, Drake may be great, and by great I mean GREAT. Same for HS. They are unknown though and more important IMO, they don't address popular genres such as RPG, Street Racer, FPS, etc.

Not to say they will have nothing on offer, but these genres are missing exclusive games.

Erm...

Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Mass effect - All Unknowns to as far as anyone is concerned (and it's still not clear how big of a userbase the Xbox360 even has for eastern RPGs so I wouldn't class BD or LO as having a level of mass market appeal that some of the other games do..

Lastly I don't understand why you seem to think that HS (a GOW-a-like; a genre that has proven itself to hold mass market appeal, e.g. GOW, Otogi, Ninja Gaiden, DMC etc..) and Uncharted (a story driven action adventure game) don't have the kind of widespread appeal as street racers and FPSs.. :???:

To be honest i'd argue that they have a hell of alot more ,and especially when your talking against the playstation demographic..

Erm...

Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Mass effect - All Unknowns to as far as anyone is concerned (and it's still not clear how big of a userbase the Xbox360 even has for eastern RPGs so I wouldn't class BD or LO as having a level of mass market appeal that some of the other games do..

Lastly I don't understand why you seem to think that HS (a GOW-a-like; a genre that has proven itself to hold mass market appeal, e.g. GOW, Otogi, Ninja Gaiden, DMC etc..) and Uncharted (a story driven action adventure game) don't have the kind of widespread appeal as street racers and FPSs.. :???:

To be honest i'd argue that they have a hell of alot more ,and especially when your talking against the playstation demographic..

Agreed.

I didn't mean to imply they hold no value (equal, lesser or greater). Just that they do not address RPG, Street Racer, FPS etc genres.

I am. LOL

Seriously:
PGR4+Forza2 v ...
Halo3 v ...
Lost Odyssey + Blue Dragon + Mass Effect v ...
SC5 v ...

To be fair, Drake may be great, and by great I mean GREAT. Same for HS. They are unknown though and more important IMO, they don't address popular genres such as RPG, Street Racer, FPS, etc.

Not to say they will have nothing on offer, but these genres are missing exclusive games.

I followed your logic on brand recognition making a stronger line-up in 07 for the 360 and 08 for the PS3 (though I disagree about what makes a stronger line-up, I understand what you mean). I'm not following with you're saying here, though. Halo 3 will definitely cover the 360 for FPSs this year, and this an important genre for NA. In terms of popular genres, outside of FPS, neither RPGs nor Street Racers seem any more important than other genres (other than sports, which 3rd parties seem to own). Particularly when you're talking about games that don't have a huge brand recognition like Halo or Splinter Cell. For the 4 categories the 360 has covered well, I can think of 4 the PS3 has covered well that the 360 doesn't.

Drake's Fortune vs.
Heavenly Sword vs.
Warhawk vs.
LBP vs.

Even if we drop the Game 3.0 category, as its worth is largely unknown, Ratchet and Clank could be added in its place for platformers. If we're talking in terms of brand recognition then I would agree, the 360 definitely has the stronger line-up to attract gamers with familiar names. Halo and Splinter Cell against nothing with that level of recognition. But if we're talking in terms of genre coverage with major titles then, no, they both seem to leave themselves wide open in certain areas (in terms of exclusives). In fact, their genre coverage is quite complementary to each other. Between the PS3 and 360 just about every major genre is covered with an exclusive (or 2) without much overlap between the platforms. Which about the only thing I have to add to that is that I feel sorry for those of you with only 1 of the above. You’ll be missing out some good gaming that said platform doesn’t really have covered this year. :p

EDIT

Although they're both missing the "Wii" genre. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT

If by "Wii" genre you mean party/casual games then I'd say that PSN and XBLA should have more than enough to cover that base (and with the PSEye along the way & MS shipping some more Live Camera-centric SW they could well establish quite a compelling platform for casuals and the like (provided consumers can stomach the cost)...

If by "Wii" genre you mean party/casual games then I'd say that PSN and XBLA should have more than enough to cover that base (and with the PSEye along the way & MS shipping some more Live Camera-centric SW they could well establish quite a compelling platform for casuals and the like (provided consumers can stomach the cost)...

Yeah, that's what I meant, but with a focus on interactivity (which I'm guessing you meant too as you mentioned the Live Camera and PSEye). However, outside of Singstar I can't see much in the way of games with an interactive group dynamic to compete with the Wii. What titles did you have in mind?

I followed your logic on brand recognition making a stronger line-up in 07 for the 360 and 08 for the PS3 (though I disagree about what makes a stronger line-up, I understand what you mean). I'm not following with you're saying here, though. Halo 3 will definitely cover the 360 for FPSs this year, and this an important genre for NA. In terms of popular genres, outside of FPS, neither RPGs nor Street Racers seem any more important than other genres (other than sports, which 3rd parties seem to own). Particularly when you're talking about games that don't have a huge brand recognition like Halo or Splinter Cell. For the 4 categories the 360 has covered well, I can think of 4 the PS3 has covered well that the 360 doesn't.

Drake's Fortune vs.
Heavenly Sword vs.
Warhawk vs.
LBP vs.

Even if we drop the Game 3.0 category, as its worth is largely unknown, Ratchet and Clank could be added in its place for platformers. If we're talking in terms of brand recognition then I would agree, the 360 definitely has the stronger line-up to attract gamers with familiar names. Halo and Splinter Cell against nothing with that level of recognition. But if we're talking in terms of genre coverage with major titles then, no, they both seem to leave themselves wide open in certain areas (in terms of exclusives). In fact, their genre coverage is quite complementary to each other. Between the PS3 and 360 just about every major genre is covered with an exclusive (or 2) without much overlap between the platforms. Which about the only thing I have to add to that is that I feel sorry for those of you with only 1 of the above. You’ll be missing out some good gaming that said platform doesn’t really have covered this year. :p

EDIT

I'd say both Drake and HS are covering the same genre of 3rd person action-adventure.

IMO IBP is an afterthought at this point. I may eat crow on that one, but I don't see it being a multimillion-unit, system-defining, seller. Warhawk may do well but again, not a pillar IMO.

For these reasons I didn't include Bioshock or Shadowrun. I don't feel they will be that impactfull.

You could make the argument that BD, ME or LO may not be impactful as well, but I think there is a large userbase on xb360 that is wanting a good rpg (see oblivion sales). Between the three of these, I think most people wanting one can find one that fits their style/taste.

As for street racers not being a popular genre, sales of Forza1 and GT disagree.

Platformer is covered for sure though with R&C on ps3 (though I do question the impact it will have given the ps3's current userbase).

Beside Halo 3 there is another FPS with an extremely strong brand launching this fall: Unreal Tournament 3. I think it's been very quiet about it for a long time, I soon expect Epic to start releasing some material to start build hype. I hope there will some playable demos.

For the PS3 there is also Haze, which will be exclusive to the PS3 this year.

I'd say both Drake and HS are covering the same genre of 3rd person action-adventure.

IMO IBP is an afterthought at this point. I may eat crow on that one, but I don't see it being a multimillion-unit, system-defining, seller. Warhawk may do well but again, not a pillar IMO.

For these reasons I didn't include Bioshock or Shadowrun. I don't feel they will be that impactfull.

You could make the argument that BD, ME or LO may not be impactful as well, but I think there is a large userbase on xb360 that is wanting a good rpg (see oblivion sales). Between the three of these, I think most people wanting one can find one that fits their style/taste.

As for street racers not being a popular genre, sales of Forza1 and GT disagree.

Platformer is covered for sure though with R&C on ps3 (though I do question the impact it will have given the ps3's current userbase).

I wouldn't argue that street racers are not popular. Just that they are no more popular than some of the other genres (outside of sports and FPSs). Although I would be wary to put GT and Forza in that category, so, lets just call it racers. :D However, I think we may be arguing 2 different things. I thought you were talking about genre coverage, I didn't know you meant pillars. Which by that, and some of your other statements, I assume you mean strong, system selling, titles. I was talking more in terms of quality, exclusive titles, in the genres. Which we both know doesn't equate to sells. I think that's where we are disagreeing here.

On a side note, I'd put Drake and HS in 2 different genres. 3rd person action adventure is too broad, it would seem. Or perhaps the focus of the titles are much more focused then just 3rd person A/A. A lot more platforming in one, and a lot more hand-to-hand combat in the other. Enough so, that the playstyle of the games, and targeted market (with genre preferences) are quite different it would seem.

Compared to BioShock, Forza 2, Dirt, Halo3, Mass Effect,, GTA4, PGR4, Army of 2, Brothers in Arms 3,Splinter Cell Conviction and mean the list just goes on and on.
Sad but true.
That's entirely a matter of taste. The line-up you list there has virtually no appeal to me whatsoever. I read it as 'shooter' (first person adventure centred on shooting mechanics as I understand it), racer, racer, shooter, shooter, thuggery sandbox, shooter, shooter, adventure. Only the last one has piqued my interest a little. I can add BD to that as a title I've some interest in. If you don't care for FPS or racers, the lineup doesn't look so enticing. If you like things like LBP, SingStar, EOJ, and stuff that's 'different', XB360 at the moment has little to offer. Well, that's how I perceive it, perhaps based in large part to people quoting 'strong line-ups' rich in genres I'm not interested in!

But let's not turn this into a versus thread. Instead, we can see PS3 isn't doing too badly in the EU, which is worth some discussion 'why'. Also we see a little less than half of people are registering for online, which gives an idea of download content interest. It's still not the majority interest even among hard-core early adopters.

I was talking more in terms of quality, exclusive titles, in the genres. Which we both know doesn't equate to sells. I think that's where we are disagreeing here.

Well, it's actually a bit of both.

Initially, I was replying in the context of how does the lineup for 2007 equate to potential system sales. Some of these titles I feel are potential system sellers on their own. Others are desired titles which fill a genre and make a platform more desireable to purchase.

In the context of potential system sales, I feel xb360 is much better positioned to lure new customers in 2007 than Sony is and the opposite holding true for 2008*.

*This opinion based on the strength of brand recognition, expected title quality, and desired/popular genre's filled.

Well, it's actually a bit of both.

Initially, I was replying in the contect of how does the lineup for 2007 equate to potential system sales. Some of these titles I feel are potential system sellers on their own. Others are desired titles which fill a genre and make a platform more desireable to purchase.

In the context of potential system sales, I feel xb360 is much better positioned to lure new customers in 2007 than Sony is and the opposite holding true for 2008*.

*This opinion based on the strength of brand recognition, expected title quality, and desired/popular genre's filled.
Ah, I see. I lost some of that context along the way. System sellers (the gimmies) with strong titles (which fill a genre) vs just strong titles (which fill a genre). Under that context then I agree. At which point the tables are (or seem to be) reversed in 08.

However, it should be noted that every system seller has started out as an unknown at some point (just a strong title to fill a genre). But in terms of likelihood and potential, the established names are indeed a stronger bet.

That's entirely a matter of taste. The line-up you list there has virtually no appeal to me whatsoever.

Agreed.

Everyone has their own desired titles/genres/tastes. But we have seen what the masses buy and are interested in and can project potential sales from such data. No guarantees of course, just opinions based on available data. :smile:

Compared to BioShock, Forza 2, Dirt, Halo3, Mass Effect,, GTA4, PGR4, Army of 2, Brothers in Arms 3,Splinter Cell Conviction and mean the list just goes on and on.

I have a both consoles and the launch schedule for the 360 is just an order of magnitude stronger than PS3.

Sad but true.
/opinion. plus BiA, Army of Two, GTA4 and Dirt are multiplatform. but out of the ones you mentioned, the ones that appeal to me are bioshock and forza 2, but i can play bioshock on PC.

i won't get into this exclusive war, but there are also a couple RR left out as well.

GT won't be out this year, and the other two are multi-platform.

Sony has to do massive promotion for the other exclusives and hope they are AAA titles...

Doesnt matter of the other two are multipatform. There are many who will prefer a PS3 with these games than a 360 since they are attached to the platform.

These games whether they are or not on the 360, will still help the console's sales

Some people are asking if these games will also[/b[ come to the PS3 so they would know when and if they will get it instead of the 360

GT won't be out this year, and the other two are multi-platform.

Sony has to do massive promotion for the other exclusives and hope they are AAA titles...

You know that for sure? You have a direct line to Kazunori Yamauchi??

Pro Evo is being developed with PS3 as the base platform, plus the PS3 controller is arguably better for Pro Evo, so these are potential advantages.

That's entirely a matter of taste. The line-up you list there has virtually no appeal to me whatsoever. I read it as 'shooter' (first person adventure centred on shooting mechanics as I understand it), racer, racer, shooter, shooter, thuggery sandbox, shooter, shooter, adventure. Only the last one has piqued my interest a little. I can add BD to that as a title I've some interest in. If you don't care for FPS or racers, the lineup doesn't look so enticing. If you like things like LBP, SingStar, EOJ, and stuff that's 'different', XB360 at the moment has little to offer. Well, that's how I perceive it, perhaps based in large part to people quoting 'strong line-ups' rich in genres I'm not interested in!

But let's not turn this into a versus thread. Instead, we can see PS3 isn't doing too badly in the EU, which is worth some discussion 'why'. Also we see a little less than half of people are registering for online, which gives an idea of download content interest. It's still not the majority interest even among hard-core early adopters.

Shifty, did you just class Mass Effect as a shooter? :???:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back