Real Time Blue Dragon Trailer

scooby_dooby said:
i dunno, i think it's pretty close to pixar quality, especially older stuff like toy story. You could make a movie out of those quality GFX, and most people probably would not mind it at all.

It's not equal to the indcredibles, but it's totally in that league, it's not like the incredibles is ALOT better. This is the first time I've ever seen gfx that could really be mistaken for a CG movie.

what a load of BULL, the trailer is not even hi resolution and is capture via a hidden cam and you already compare it to toy story graphic and said it in the league of the Incredible's graphic.

However, i like the art style of this game.

dantruon said:
what a load of BULL, the trailer is not even hi resolution and is capture via a hidden cam and you already compare it to toy story graphic and said it in the league of the Incredible's graphic.

However, i like the art style of this game.

what do the GFX suddenly change as soon as it goes hi-res? You can see the GFX with your own two eyes, they'll only look BETTER at hi-res.

I'm comparing it to pixar cause it deserves to be compared, it's that good. Just look at the reaction people are having to it, many people refuse to believe the intro is actually realtime.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks fantastic. I just hoping that the Artoon engines is the best one possible for the game. For some reason I'm thinking that UE3 would have been a better choice.

scooby_dooby said:
i dunno, i think it's pretty close to pixar quality, especially older stuff like toy story. You could make a movie out of those quality GFX, and most people probably would not mind it at all.

It's not equal to the indcredibles, but it's totally in that league, it's not like the incredibles is ALOT better. This is the first time I've ever seen gfx that could really be mistaken for a CG movie.

- edit - also the intro is probably realtime as well, since they show the last half of the intro at the end of the video, after the realtime gfx text
Its not in the league of the incredibles. Those models would have dozens times more polygons, don't have visual edges, bad texturing (see the girls hair), and the lighting is infinitely more complicated. Even Toy Story is simply unattainable with the upcoming gen of consoles.

As for the intro, yeah, I noticed that, but everything looks way better when + way more stuff happening on screen than the rest of the trailer, so I doubt it.

Dr. Nick said:
For some reason I'm thinking that UE3 would have been a better choice.

You think so? I would think that an engine built ground up for the X360 would be a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry but Blue Dragon or any other nextgen X360, PS3, PC game is simply not comparable to any CG movie. there are orders of magnitude of difference. both technical and to the untrained eye. we would be lucky if well-built XB3-PS4 games in the next decade approach even old CG movies.

scooby_dooby said:
what do the GFX suddenly change as soon as it goes hi-res? You can see the GFX with your own two eyes, they'll only look BETTER at hi-res.

I'm comparing it to pixar cause it deserves to be compared, it's that good. Just look at the reaction people are having to it, many people refuse to believe the intro is actually realtime.

what a stupid question to ask, well for one you see alot more detail such as shader texture and more eye candy when ot goes to hi resolution trailer.

How can we possible believe the intro when it comparable to the killzone ps3 trailer graphic wise?

Nicked said:
Ridiculous comparison.
Not. It`s the same level playing field. If you don`t see that, you don`t trust your eyes. And, yes, this is not direct-feed hi-res video. Hair style, well it`s the artist choice; that art is not finished yet. On hdtv this game will look insane.

Thread Pruned

This thread doesn't belong here. Really.

It reads like a GameFaqs thread. Fan-boys discussions about what the other "supporters camps" are going to do next. Pixar movie comparisons? People discussing other's people's agenda and not their expressed opinion...

Also remember that the discussions about other people pushing hidden agenda and/or trolling aren't allowed. It only creates noise, so just address the point or ignore it.

Anyway, the game looks excellent graphically.
I'm looking forward for more info about the battle system. Did they released more info about that? I know that it's action oriented, but I don't know if the battles are directly on the map (Like Zelda or Dark Cloud) or if it switches into a battle mode?

i totally agreed that this game look beautiful no denying that but you just cant not compare it to any CG movies ever.period.

Bobbler said:
Some of you guys need to get off the crazy train.

(this goes for both sides)

Just because someone doesn't think a game looks as fantastic as you do doesn't mean they are saying that just because they have their feet planted in the other side of this silly competition (that may be the case, and that is part of what I'm talking about, but the initial assumption of it needs to stop).

What was shown in that trailer wasn't really that technically amazing (water was nice, and seemingly high geometry on the models was nice... but they are cartooned) -- if you like the DQ8/DBZ art style then this is the creme of the crop, no doubt, but if you're looking for something with amazing lighting/shader effects/etc, then this game may just look "okay" or "really nice" to that person.

The fact that some of you feel the need to defend everything (both sides do this, so don't attack me here) is rather frustrating to see on a forum like this. Seems both sides like to wear their tinted glasses.

Exactly. I was only really impressed by the water. But then again, I don't like characters that look very anime-like or traditional japanese RPGs in general (Vagrant Story was great though). I'm more of a Bioware RPG kind of guy, which is why Mass Effect is probably my most anticipated game for the 360 at the moment. I didn't care much for the new Lost Odyssey trailer either. They both look very good but I don't find anything 'amazing' about them.

I think the strange part was that nobody thought the music was good, the visuals was cartoon-like and its not my style but very pretty overall i must say.

That trailer should come with a Surgeon's General Warning label.

Normally I limit myself to lurking and asking an occasional question but after watching that I feel the need to comment. There is obviously something wrong with me. I don't think I would be caught dead playing that game. I thought the art direction (or whoever is responsible with coming up with an overall visual style) in PD0 was questionable at best and that taste couldn't get much worse than DQ8(? - the latest) but this just takes my breath away (read - gives me heartburn just looking at it.) It looks like Lewis Carrol ate some contaminated bread while reading an old Flash Gordon comic book and fell asleep while Johnny Quest rolled on an old tv in the background. This doesn't just scream cheese, it screams cheese to 7 year olds. That ship looked like a cross between the Disney world submarine ride and a 1950's B sci-fi movie. The only elements missing were the yellow paint and a sparkler at the back end. (Well, and the wire) Just what am I missing? If I was writing a review of that trailer it would read quite similarly to (between the lines) reviews of PD0 - technically excellent; visual style should be shown to politcal prisoners as an incentive to shape up. That's the polite version.

There has to be something here I just don't see. What in the world am I missing? This makes cell-shading look tasteful. I know there are going to be differences of opinion, that people just have different tastes, but really, I just do not get it. Is it people having a second childhood or what? Somebody explain games like this, Kameo, DQ. Even if the gameplay was truly incredible I just could not take it remotely seriously looking at it.

I hope I don't get banned for this. It's just my opinion on the chosen visual style but Jesus. If that is going to be a flagship title I would consider not purchasing the console to which it was attached.

Silenti said:
I thought the art direction (or whoever is responsible with coming up with an overall visual style) in PD0 was questionable at best and that taste couldn't get much worse than DQ8(? - the latest) but this just takes my breath away (read - gives me heartburn just looking at it.) It looks like Lewis Carrol ate some contaminated bread while reading an old Flash Gordon comic book and fell asleep while Johnny Quest rolled on an old tv in the background. This doesn't just scream cheese, it screams cheese to 7 year olds.
Different strokes for different people.
The art style is very good, if you ask me.

Silenti said:
This makes cell-shading look tasteful. I know there are going to be differences of opinion, that people just have different tastes, but really, I just do not get it. Is it people having a second childhood or what?
You're reading too much into something really simple. It's a concept that you seem to understand, people have different tastes. And that's it.

Silenti said:
If that is going to be a flagship title I would consider not purchasing the console to which it was attached.
Why? Did you choose not to buy a DVD player because it can also play Disney cartoons?

Vysez said:
Why? Did you choose not to buy a DVD player because it can also play Disney cartoons?

Since it would not play all existing DVD's, yes, it would give me pause. If it is a flagship, AAA title, then it is a sign of where a well known developer and publisher are putting their resources instead of making something I would be interested in. There are only so many to choose from. As it so happens, I trust 3 developers almost implicity. Bungie, Bioware and Blizzard. Assuming the game they make is in a genre I like, I would probably buy one of their titles without ever playing it or seing gameplay footage before hand.

This is by the team MS assembled from parts of other, previously popular, japanese development teams, correct? If this is a sign of where they are putting their resources then I may further delay purchasing an X360, and, should the trend continue, MS may well lose an XBOX owner for this generation. I love my XBOX. I've spent more time playing it than any system since the Sega Genesis when I was still in high school.

Silenti said:
Since it would not play all existing DVD's, yes, it would give me pause. If it is a flagship, AAA title, then it is a sign of where a well known developer and publisher are putting their resources instead of making something I would be interested in. There are only so many to choose from. As it so happens, I trust 3 developers almost implicity. Bungie, Bioware and Blizzard. Assuming the game they make is in a genre I like, I would probably buy one of their titles without ever playing it or seing gameplay footage before hand.

This is by the team MS assembled from parts of other, previously popular, japanese development teams, correct? If this is a sign of where they are putting their resources then I may further delay purchasing an X360, and, should the trend continue, MS may well lose an XBOX owner for this generation. I love my XBOX. I've spent more time playing it than any system since the Sega Genesis when I was still in high school.

You make little to no sense... this game is basically an attempt to get something going in Japan. I honestly don't think they are going to cut budgets on Halo 3 or next Bioware game because of this game. MS needs to make this type of games for Japan, but even still I'm quite sure that at the end of the day X360 will have the most western lineup, so don't worry honey.

Dr Evil said:
You make little to no sense... this game is basically an attempt to get something going in Japan. I honestly don't think they are going to cut budgets on Halo 3 or next Bioware game because of this game. MS needs to make this type of games for Japan, but even still I'm quite sure that at the end of the day X360 will have the most western lineupQUOTE]

I was hoping for RPG that I would like. Nothing more than that. It is simply a disappointment to me that a highly touted title is going to be something so far outside of my personal tastes as to make it unplayable. I've had a discussion similar to this regarding visual style previously, not here obviously, and was hoping for an explanation for what makes it attractive.

As to the ". . . so don't worry honey.", in the interests of keeping this from becoming flamebait, I shall leave that alone. You could have at least been entertaining if you are going to use a directly personal insult. Or said something about Lewis Caroll's influence, even Flash Gordon gets remade every once in awhile.

Back