Real Time Blue Dragon Trailer

Some of you guys need to get off the crazy train.

(this goes for both sides)

Just because someone doesn't think a game looks as fantastic as you do doesn't mean they are saying that just because they have their feet planted in the other side of this silly competition (that may be the case, and that is part of what I'm talking about, but the initial assumption of it needs to stop).

What was shown in that trailer wasn't really that technically amazing (water was nice, and seemingly high geometry on the models was nice... but they are cartooned) -- if you like the DQ8/DBZ art style then this is the creme of the crop, no doubt, but if you're looking for something with amazing lighting/shader effects/etc, then this game may just look "okay" or "really nice" to that person.

The fact that some of you feel the need to defend everything (both sides do this, so don't attack me here) is rather frustrating to see on a forum like this. Seems both sides like to wear their tinted glasses.

Bobbler said:
Some of you guys need to get off the crazy train.

(this goes for both sides)

Just because someone doesn't think a game looks as fantastic as you do doesn't mean they are saying that just because they have their feet planted in the other side of this silly competition (that may be the case, and that is part of what I'm talking about, but the initial assumption of it needs to stop).

What was shown in that trailer wasn't really that technically amazing (water was nice, and seemingly high geometry on the models was nice... but they are cartooned) -- if you like the DQ8/DBZ art style then this is the creme of the crop, no doubt, but if you're looking for something with amazing lighting/shader effects/etc, then this game may just look "okay" or "really nice" to that person.

The fact that some of you feel the need to defend everything (both sides do this, so don't attack me here) is rather frustrating to see on a forum like this. Seems both sides like to wear their tinted glasses.

Thanks, i'm sure all the crazed ******s will now be entirely reasonable and fair in their commentary. ;)

On the trailer though, personally, the intro clip and the end clip, (the ones that are questioned as possibly being FMV), are about as good as anything i've seen in realtime so far. You would also classify them as 'ok' and not technically amazing at this stage?

Incredibles
incredibles1pv.jpg

Blue dragon
vlcsnap453259jn.png

vlcsnap472742sx.png

vlcsnap438769ke.png

3roxor said:
The incredibles CGI vs the ingame graphics of this Blue Dragon game..duhh

Just to be fair these are realtime but i dont think theyre in-game. Not to detract from the apparent achievement but just thought i would point that out.

EDIT: I think there was one scene where the boy and his sidekick were running across the screen from right to left that looked to definitely be in-game.

Last edited by a moderator:
expletive said:
Just to be fair these are realtime but i dont think theyre in-game. Not to detract from the apparent achievement but just thought i would point that out.

EDIT: I think there was one scene where the boy and his sidekick were running across the screen from right to left that looked to definitely be in-game.

Those characters are supposed to be used in game as they are...

expletive said:
On the trailer though, personally, the intro clip and the end clip, (the ones that are questioned as possibly being FMV), are about as good as anything i've seen in realtime so far. You would also classify them as 'ok' and not technically amazing at this stage?

Seriously I'm tired of people throwing around the letters "FMV", "CGI", "CG", and "fake" all the time. Wake up people this is what next-gen is suppose to look like. And this trailer looks freaking great. But imagine what it would have looked like if it was direct feed.

The only thing I want to see is someone controlling it with a controller. Then I have to buy myself a 360.

mckmas8808 said:
Seriously I'm tired of people throwing around the letters "FMV", "CGI", "CG", and "fake" all the time. Wake up people this is what next-gen is suppose to look like. And this trailer looks freaking great. But imagine what it would have looked like if it was direct feed.

IGN:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/650/650831p2.html

IGN said:
..The main character, Shu, appeared in the grassy field that had started out the day's demonstration, with the Mistwalker staff member controlling him using the Xbox 360 controller. The character looked as clean and defined as the pre-rendered target clips that was shown at E3. His animation was smooth....
The early E3 showing of Blue Dragon included a pre-rendered target animation clip for Shu and his blue dragon shadow. At today's showing, we got to see a real time movie clip generated by the Xbox 360. Set against a coordinate grid, the clip showed the dragon extending from Shu and punching away at an object closer to the camera. The clip showed the dragon stretch out multiple times, each time going farther and farther away from Shu. Seeing the dragon travel so far from Shu made for a cool bit of animation, and we can say with confidence that the Xbox 360 has no trouble generating the visual quality or smoothness of the animation shown in the target clip.

"This is what it will look like in real time on the Xbox 360?" we asked while viewing a grab of a seamlessly rendered closeup shot of Zora standing in a mist-filled cave. "Yes," Sakaguchi responded.

For which game are they using UE3? I seem to recall something about that.

edit:
Nevermind, TGS2005, IGN:

Blue Dragon, Mistwalker's other Xbox 360 game, is one such title that doesn't use Epic's technology. Developer Artoon has created its own engine just for that game, Sakaguchi confirmed today.

Looks fantastic! Water looks good, but then, all next-gen water looks good from what I've seen. The opening with the robots is :O! But that spanks the rest of the trailer, so I'm thinking, non-realtime (realtime comes up afterwards anyway). The character style is what I find most impressive. Next-gen KH :)

But nowhere near The Incredibles, guys. Ridiculous comparison.

i dunno, i think it's pretty close to pixar quality, especially older stuff like toy story. You could make a movie out of those quality GFX, and most people probably would not mind it at all.

It's not equal to the indcredibles, but it's totally in that league, it's not like the incredibles is ALOT better. This is the first time I've ever seen gfx that could really be mistaken for a CG movie.

- edit - also the intro is probably realtime as well, since they show the last half of the intro at the end of the video, after the realtime gfx text

Back