Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
at the very least devs confirmed that reflections on Clank body are raytraced. it shows in cutscenes.
NPCs and ennemies may also have raytraced reflections.

Yep, you can see the normal characters are all raytraced in the shiny floor. When their feet move, the image in the floor moves as well so definitely RT. The portals aren't raytraced at all, hopefully they will fix before the launch.
This could be a simple planar reflection. Floors are the perfect use case for that.

The shitty YT compression doesn't do this game any justice. I hope we get the direct capture because it does look amazing.

The shitty YT compression doesn't do this game any justice. I hope we get the direct capture because it does look amazing.

On top of that, most of the time the gamescom livestream seemed rather washed out, like the colors were muted or the white levels were too high. Watching the videos separately showed more agreeable color balance and better image quality.

This could be a simple planar reflection. Floors are the perfect use case for that.
Not sure how that works, but looking at the monsters and people in the scene, it seems to be RT imo. The one monster on the right gets smacked and lands on it's back and the reflection seems to match. Then Rachett turns around and runs down the corridor where the Kraken :LOL: appears and when he runs past the people, you can see their reflections and when the one guy gets a fright and moves his foot a tiny bit, you see that movement in the reflection.

Easily visible on clank with self reflection and on some chaacter, portal are missing reflection maybe problem for updating the BVH.

Yep. Clank reflects itself and Ratchet. Some of the floors have a mix of RT and cube maps.
Not all objects reflect but the ones that do reflect properly, without showing usual screen space artifacts. More objects, especially debris, probably would reflect with SSR even though they may break - and most importantly, the devs themselves said that RT is used on some floors and on Clank, so why would they lie?

And what about the shadows ? Are they ray traced ? Most characters and many objects have their own shadows. And all the bolts that are sucked by Ratchet have their own detailed shadow (maybe not in all surfaces though).

LNUBV8E.jpg

2SdbBtZ.jpg

And what about the shadows ? Are they ray traced ? Most characters and many objects have their own shadows. And all the bolts that are sucked by Ratchet have their own detailed shadow (maybe not in all surfaces though).

LNUBV8E.jpg

2SdbBtZ.jpg
I'm not an expert, but those don't look like ray traced shadows to me. I guess I would be expecting it to be softer as it moves away from the object. I think you're just looking at higher quality shadow maps for everything.

Another spot of RT reflex: Dr Nefarius’s back reflects onto his own ship behind him, just before Ratchet makes a mess shooting his big purple tool.

His back wouldn’t reflect with SSRs. The demo is full of these example, but it’s subtle of course. With all the action on screen, you really have to slow down and check for these things, which I guess is something we do on here.

The yellow portal looks like a fancy way to do hook, and you can't use momentum to swing like titanfall 2.

The purple ones seems scripted like destiny portals.

I wonder what happen if a player move fast enough (faster than the developer has ever thought) to jump into them? I mean the purples that was used as enemy spawn cave.

Last edited:
This game looks great. Lots of physics stuff going on all at once, tons of explosions, etc. I'm not overly impressed with the multiple worlds / portals sections, though. Not that they don't look nice, but they look like they take control away from the player. It's a cool technical feat, I think, swapping out assets that fast, but if you aren't going to let me really do anything while you flash some pretty pictures up on the screen it might as well be prerendered or... A loading hallway.

Please have Mr Zurkon, please have Mr Zurkon, please have Mr Zurkon..

"I shall let you live little alien...psych! Mr. Zurkon lives only to kill."

Back