Question regarding Viva Pinata graphics *

We only know which games use the tesselator based on which devs tell us. More games could without anyone spilling the beans.

yep, this is the only confirmation that it is used in a game. Have to assume they used it again for VP2. Plus Dave said titles, so maybe someone can confirm other uses?

Dave Baumann
07-Nov-2007, 16:26

Its also already being employed in current titles - Viva Pinata implemented it last year for the terrain rendering system.

We only know which games use the tesselator based on which devs tell us. More games could without anyone spilling the beans.
[RANT]
It would be interesting to hear more about it :)

The only three examples I remember being mentioned on this board are:
Viva piñata (dicussion about public datas)
Alone in the Dark, Galopin mentioned that they were generating height map using the tesselator as the game has not been that succesful his talk sadly get lost in the noise.
And some hint for Nao, where he said that I thank of clever uses of it but also that he may break up NDA's going further... :(

HEY devs!!! We want learn more :LOL:
[:rant]

Its the real-time GPU tessellation they used that really impresses me. Rare tends to bring something technically impressive or innovative with each successive title. Kameo for example was incredible.

So what engine do you think is getting the most out of the 360?
That's difficult to say really. Whilst we can say UE3 based titles have shown off nice shaders, we can criticize many visual technical features that are missing in which other games have accomplished and we can observe various graphical shortcomings commonplace in games powered by it. Then you have Capcom's MT framework engine which is the impressive balance of efficiency, performance & sharp images, but I'm not convinced any game on it has really pushed the 360 that far. Then you have the likes of Rare's titles that have shown innovative features and visual flair but are a long way of really using the system to its limits. I think I agree that the Dunia Engine powered Far Cry 2 is probably the most impressive example so far, but again it comes back to a point earlier that there aren't many big showcases of proprietary technology on 360.
But people really think Halo 3 is the best engine based on shaders? While the sand in maps such as Sandtrap is pretty good, the water effects are quite lacking.
I would think maybe VP2/BK3 or the new Prince of Persia are better.
Personally I wouldn't agree. Besides the first level with the forest setting (as that's where we saw the most pretty effects working together), the game was on the whole technically underwhelming compared to many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back