Question.HD2900XT or 8800GTS

deck16

Newcomer
Hi. I have question and problem what choose Asus Radeon HD2900XT(359.70 euro) or Asus GeForce 8800GTS(357.83 euro):?: .I can choose between this 2 gpu.
THX.

What is your monitor's native resolution, what games do you play, and what levels of AA & AF do you plan/would like to run?

I wont play supreme commander, bioshock, crysis, ut3 and all ue3.0 games(etc) on 1680x1050 or 1280x720 res.I will satisfied playing on 4xAA and 4xAF.I will have Samsung SM 206BW TFT 20â€￾.

It's difficult to guess at performance in titles that have yet to be released, but the GTS is faster in Supreme Commander at your desired settings. The only UE3 game released so far is Rainbow Six Vegas, which the 2900 XT excels at. Bioshock is primarily an XBox 360 title, and R600's close-relationship to Xenos should help it here. Crysis could go either way, rumors are all over the place on this one.

Given all the above, I doubt you'll be disappointed with either card.

Dang, at those prices find a friend in the US and let him ship you a GTX for $500US. If that's not an option I would say wait until the games you want to play are released. No use in guessing now. Wait a while and you will have more info and lower prices upon which to base your decision.

It's difficult to guess at performance in titles that have yet to be released, but the GTS is faster in Supreme Commander at your desired settings. The only UE3 game released so far is Rainbow Six Vegas, which the 2900 XT excels at. Bioshock is primarily an XBox 360 title, and R600's close-relationship to Xenos should help it here. Crysis could go either way, rumors are all over the place on this one.

Given all the above, I doubt you'll be disappointed with either card.

There is really nothing close between Xenos and R600, it is but a myth. There is some "Hey distant cousin" relationship but assuming anything from that is a bad idea. I'd recommend waiting or going with the safe bet which is the 8800 GTS, though waiting personally. Since all of those titles are still a bit from release you'll have a much better idea when it comes time.

Somebody tell me this, because I'm kind of stumped right now.

Given equivalent price points, is there any situation when the 2900XT is a really obvious buy over the 8800 GTS?

There is really nothing close between Xenos and R600, it is but a myth. There is some "Hey distant cousin" relationship but assuming anything from that is a bad idea. I'd recommend waiting or going with the safe bet which is the 8800 GTS, though waiting personally. Since all of those titles are still a bit from release you'll have a much better idea when it comes time.

How is the 8800 GTS the "safe bet"? Are you disputing my conclusions about each title mentioned, because benchmarks supporting these conclusions are widely available...

As different as R600 and Xenos may be, they're far more similar than Xenos and G80, thus easier to port and optimize for R600 than G80 (in this specific instance, I'm not making some sweeping claim about R600 being easier to optimize for than G80 in all games).

How is the 8800 GTS the "safe bet"? Are you disputing my conclusions about each title mentioned, because benchmarks supporting these conclusions are widely available...

As different as R600 and Xenos may be, they're far more similar than Xenos and G80, thus easier to port and optimize for R600 than G80 (in this specific instance, I'm not making some sweeping claim about R600 being easier to optimize for than G80 in all games).

8800GTS is cheaper, it also has apparently much better (but still not great) drivers, its performance is also MUCH more consistent.

Also that's not a correct assumption either. Just because they are more similar doesn't mean its going to be an easy optimization either way. In fact you're going to most likely optimize for the card most on the market which is by far and away the G80 over R600.

If you're running Vista :p
Not true anymore. 15x.xx is generally fine. Believe me, I've been running an 8800 on Vista longer than anyone else here (except for Rys).

Also, the "Xenos is close to R600" thing is false, but I have to go to dinner. I'll explain later! Whee!

8800GTS is cheaper, it also has apparently much better (but still not great) drivers, its performance is also MUCH more consistent.

The price difference is negligible, drivers are not superior for Vista, and I'm not even sure what you mean by more consistent performance... Comparing XP to Vista performance R600 is more consistent than G80 (less performance drop), so you're going to have to define that further.

Also that's not a correct assumption either. Just because they are more similar doesn't mean its going to be an easy optimization either way. In fact you're going to most likely optimize for the card most on the market which is by far and away the G80 over R600.

Certainly it's not a guarantee, but it's more likely to be easier to optimize for than not. It's not logical to assume their similarities would make optimization more difficult.

Not true anymore. 15x.xx is generally fine. Believe me, I've been running an 8800 on Vista longer than anyone else here (except for Rys).

Nonetheless, R600's Vista performance is still closer to that of XP than G80.

Also, the "Xenos is close to R600" thing is false, but I have to go to dinner. I'll explain later! Whee!

Close*r* (than G80) is all I'm saying, not that they're twins separated at birth.

I was going to say the 2900 wins in most titles without AA, but that's not much of a win at the high end, IMHO. Perhaps in the midrange, but my last video card purchase was a midrange part (X1650 XT) and I still expect to run AA in all titles that can use it.

The price difference is negligible, drivers are not superior for Vista, and I'm not even sure what you mean by more consistent performance... Comparing XP to Vista performance R600 is more consistent than G80 (less performance drop), so you're going to have to define that further.

Let me venture a guess here - consistency in performance between various games with different characteristics and profiles and consistency in performance dropoff between various image quality settings, perhaps?

Close*r* (than G80) is all I'm saying, not that they're twins separated at birth.

They seem so distinctly different that it's arguable if it is a meaningful factoid.

I was going to say the 2900 wins in most titles without AA, but that's not much of a win at the high end, IMHO. Perhaps in the midrange, but my last video card purchase was a midrange part (X1650 XT) and I still expect to run AA in all titles that can use it.

Who wouldn't these days..

That is play whit consumers IMO. Theoretically ATI and NV are able to optimized drivers and games but for what (hardware is albe to but software is screwed up).

I'm not even sure what you mean by more consistent performance...
He probably means more consistent when comparing the two cards running the same game(s).

8800 is consistently fast, and 2900HD or whatsitscalled is - from the reviews I've seen - pretty much all over the place performance-wise. Especially with AA turned on.

In a few titles it's very very fast beating everything, and often it's (a lot) slower than 8800. Especially with AA turned on - but who would game on a monster cardf like these two with it turnrd off these days?

And it seems to gain less from being SLI'd too compared to 8800. YUsually but not always.

So 2400HD seems to take a bigger kick in the nuts from those perspectives. Again iusually but not always. Which goes back to the 'consistency' reference made earlier.

Comparing XP to Vista performance R600 is more consistent than G80
That's a pretty useless measurement though. We play games. Not OSes.

Certainly it's not a guarantee, but it's more likely to be easier to optimize for than not.
From what I've read DirectX and OpengGL isn't really anything like the graphics API on the xboz.

And the CPUs pf the two platforms certainly aren't. So you can most likely forget any ideas about "easier" to optimize xbox ports for ATi's card. This argument is way way beyond a stretch. If the game runs faster on ATi it's going to be because of sheer coincidence. Not because ATi made the xbox grapihs chip.

It's not logical to assume their similarities would make optimization more difficult.
You don't bang the hardware anymore on either consoles or PCs. So any similarities - percieved or otherwise - would be hidden from a programmer by layers of software anyway. It'd be a mistake to try and take imaginary xbox similarities into account when selecting a PC video card.

Peavce.

They seem so distinctly different that it's arguable if it is a meaningful factoid.
It's not. The only meaningful thing taken from Xenos for R600 was the tessellator, which has yet to be used (and most likely never will be).

Back