Quantum Break [XO] (by Remedy) *large images*

These look super-sampled to me. Bullshots? Remedy did spend most of Alan Wake's dev cycle passing off native 1280x720 frames as gameplay when the game only ran at 920x540 on release.

Alan Wake was running at 720p until very close to launch. They were not happy with the aliasing so the reduced the res to accommodate 4xMSAA.

Way to catch the most interesting part of the images there. Yeah bullshot, OMG, I doesn't care about the game anymore.

Your overzealous bias against anything Microsoft is getting pretty boring.

hey Laa-Yosh, judging from your experience in the industry do you think that's actually possible on the next gen consoles in an actual game?
The assets and amount of detail look way too good. I wasnt expecting that kind of quality of visuals to come so early. :oops:

It's exactly what I was expecting after seeing the tech behind Halo 4 faces and knowing how the new hardware will remove most of the restrictions 343 had to deal with.
It's also why I was disappointed with COD Ghosts well before E3 put it in perspective for everyone else too :)

Quantic's wizard demo is an example of how much further the looks can go in a game that puts more focus on characters (this is, after all, a TPS and Halo is an FPS).

You can actually see the artefacts of their big shot/tiled/supersampled rendering in the DOF parts. Some of the bloomed/blurred lights are cut-off every now and then (due to screen-space post-processing, of course). In-engine is easy to believe if you look at the dithered shadow penumbra on her face, but anyways...

American Nightmare got a ~720p upgrade on 360 with an alternative AA solution.
1120x576 w/4xMSAA & FXAA.

Also, Quantic's system is evidently based on straight mocap using bones; Halo 4 had a blendshape based system with wrinkle maps that was more complex and could produce proper facial wrinkles and discoloration. Not sure what Remedy has but it seems to be closer to 343's.

So it's a 3rd person action game with amazing graphics and branching story elements, and environments that can go forward and reverse in time as you navigate them.

Sounds awesome.

Game looks incredible.

3 playable characters all have unique time powers. You'll even control the game's main villain at times, who has the power to see glimpses of different futures and choose which he wants to make a reality.

IGN video interview with Sam Lake.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/12/quantum-break-trailer-analysis-ign-live-e3-2013

Oh! That is cool...I love when you are able to play different characters and see the different side of the story! Like Heavy Rain.

I hope that we see gameplay at Gamescom!

That does sound cool ! :D

But then why the TV show thats on the disc? Basically, if its on the disc itself, it just means its an extra story they did in live action. Or will it air on TV too? but then it won't change according to your decisions?

That does sound cool ! :D

But then why the TV show thats on the disc? Basically, if its on the disc itself, it just means its an extra story they did in live action. Or will it air on TV too? but then it won't change according to your decisions?

The show is on disc. Read my previous post for more detail on it.

The show is on disc. Read my previous post for more detail on it.

I know that. What is unique then? Its just an extra story in live action which will show u senes depending on choices u made in the game? Whats the catch?

BTW, playing ALan Wake right now and can't help but imagine what the new Max Payne could have been if done by Remedy. ;)

It seems fairly unique to have a TV show mixed in with the game story, on the disc or to download.

I doubt it's going to be prime time TV.

I know that. What is unique then? Its just an extra story in live action which will show u senes depending on choices u made in the game? Whats the catch?

BTW, playing ALan Wake right now and can't help but imagine what the new Max Payne could have been if done by Remedy. ;)

If I were to take a guess, it might be a more elaborate extension of what they tried with Alan Wake: American Nightmare. Except in AW: AN, they went with a very pulp fiction action TV sort of feel with a bit of Twilight Zone mixed in. Heck, even Alan Wake has a bit of the TV feel with the breaks between Acts, recap of previous "episode", and the narrator. AW: AN just took it a step further.

Quantum Break looks to take it into a more serious direction again (versus American Nightmare) and probably expands upon the TV feel a lot more. I get a feeling it might be sort of futuristic detective type of TV series/game.

Regards,
SB

This would easily be the One's best looking game if we saw people playing it. At this point it's in the same category as The Order or The Sorcerer demo. The TV stuff seems like it may be hokey though. The low budget live action actors could be more seamlessly integrated by high end in engine cut scenes.

One of the two most impressive games I had the pleasure of discovering, the other one being the Order : 1886 (The Dark Sorcerer would have been number one, but it's an engine tech-demo...waiting for the title that will be using it).
beautiful lighting, high geometry and realistic facial animations (The woman is gorgeous...wow). :D

Love the concept. Reminds me of he TV series Heroes
I also love the concept, it seems revolutionary in some ways.

Remedy explains how Quantum Break and the TV show tie into one another. :oops: Fascinating and brilliant stuff. :eek:

xbox-one-quantum-break-2.jpg

Remedy has explained a bit how Quantum Break, its Xbox One exclusive which “blurs the line between gaming and TV“

Speaking with Game Informer, creative director and writer, Sam Lake said the sc-fi game in which players control time, was “like a natural progression, and we’ve been on this path for a while now.”

“We’re trying to create this immersive, fictional world in the game,” he said. “Live-action has already been part of our experiences for a while. We want to push that further. It just feels somehow natural when talking about stories. The earlier steps were baby steps into that direction, and this is a bigger leap. We want to explore these possibilities.

“What you get when you buy the game is essentially the first season of Quantum Break.

That includes the whole game and the whole show. They are connected in many different ways.

The idea is that you get this deeper entertainment experience and they are interwoven, so we are aiming to get the perfect TV show-model pacing. So you play an episode of the game, you do certain junction points and choices along the way, and once you get to the end, we unlock an episode of the show.

You get to watch it and see the consequences of the choices you’ve made in the game. Then you see glimpses of other stuff that helps you in the game, it gives you further information about certain things as well as clues how to unlock even further material. And then once again you get to play another episode of the game and it goes like that.”

Lake said players will have the freedom to choose skipping an episode of the show and keep on going, and can come back to the show and watch it later on.

“We are trying to nail the perfect pacing so that doing it as intended, you get a deeper, more powerful experience,” he said.

Quantum Break is slated for release in 2014.

Read more:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/22/quantum-break-remedy-explains-how-the-game-and-tv-show-tie-into-one-another/

Back