PSP Go

So, I had my first opportunity to hold and play a PSP Go the other day.

Do.Not.Want.

I just cannot stand how tiny it is, my hands were ridiculously cramped, it didn't feel comfortable to me at all. I'll stick with my trusty 2000 series until I can get a good 3000 series for a good price.

My sentiment exactly. It's not comfortable to hold and play at all, ergonomics failure. I also have a PSP-2000 that I haven't even turned on for months, especially after I bought civ rev for my iphone. I still haven't finished crisis core!

This is not exactly PSP Go only, but PSP firmware 6.0 has been released. Only fixed web browser security and added game folder organization.

Sony also showed a new app demo for Japan:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/09/11/sony-demos-x-radar-for-psp/

The demo will be shown in TGS 2009.

X-Radar debuted on Japan PSN yesterday: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/01/26/x_radar_portable/

Sony Marketing released x-Radar Portable for the PSP yesterday (1/25). The download app is available from PlayStation Store for the friendly price of exactly nothing.

X-Radar Portable displays a radar-like view of your current location. The app links up with Sony mapping service PetaMap to guide you to restaurants and other points of interest.

To get your location, the app can make use of either the PlaceEngine, which determines location via wireless LAN spots, or the PSP's seperately-sold GPS unit. You can also directly look up data by entering train station names.

There are some minor twists on top:
* Skin, more detailed mapping
* Gathering spots via adhocParty and growing a game character called "Ghost"

Works on regular PSPs, but would be more relevant with PSP-Phone. :)

X-Radar debuted on Japan PSN yesterday: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/01/26/x_radar_portable/

There are some minor twists on top:
* Skin, more detailed mapping
* Gathering spots via adhocParty and growing a game character called "Ghost"

Works on regular PSPs, but would be more relevant with PSP-Phone. :)

Hard to see the value in this. If you are on wifi, you probably know where you are. If not, then you will probably reach for your iPhone before fooling around with the PSP.

It's probably more suitable for the Asian market where you see people carrying PSP outdoor more often. To use this, they'd be near a familiar location (school, friend's home, public WiFi spots, ...). These people may not have an iPhone.

If it's US, it's best to be connected to a 3G network.

Don't know where to post this. Just pick the latest PSP thread:
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/arsenal-and-sony-launch-arsenal-tv-matchday-

Arsenal and Sony launch Arsenal TV Matchday +:

Available for a one-off fee of £10 for the remainder of the 2009/2010 season, the application will offer supporters action replays from selected camera angles, plus slow-motion options, live match statistics, team sheets and Arsenal player profiles and pre-match video content and Arsenal.com editorial news. Fans will also be able to vote for their man of the match within the Arsenal TV Matchday + user base, access the League table and live scores and results from other fixtures.

After downloading the Arsenal TV Matchday + application to their PSP supporters will automatically be able to access a secure, hidden Wi-Fi network which will then stream the images direct to the device. Access to games being played in the 2010/2011 season will go on sale during the close season.

This unique technology has been trialed and developed extensively by Sony in partnership with Arsenal over the last two years using fans and focus groups to develop it for wider use. Whilst Emirates Stadium is the first sporting venue to install the system it is hoped that others will follow suit in the near future.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/18/psp-game-makes-used-buyers-pay-extra-for-online-play/

Sony is testing a new way to monetize the PlayStation Network without resorting to subscription fees. Their idea is to pass fees on the second hand market.

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3 is in stores now. Buy a new copy and you can play online over PlayStation Network for free after you register the game. Buy it used and you have to fork over an extra $20 for a PSN entitlement voucher before you can play online.

Bought Vice City Stories for my Go. Such a crappy game...All the bad things about a GTA (have to reload when you fail a mission, have to drive for five minutes when you have reloaded, crappy framerate etc) without any of the good. Also, the crappy forklift mission made me cry for Shenmue....

Back to Policenauts on my hacked 2000 I guess. And GT PSP when I want to take a break.....

I was going to raise that. What alternatives are there? I think the nub is a smart, innovative solution.

the IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad nub seems a better fit IMO (although it would have to be less stiff)

...also, sony is including a free game with a Go purchase: assassins creed bloodlines or little big planet
granted Id rather stick with my original psp, but those who are still on the fence may be interested

The Thinkpad nub will go heywire after a while. My mouse pointer would automatically track to one side of the screen if I lift my finger off the nub.

IS that one of those rubbery blobs in the middle of the keyboard? I've used a couple (not a Lenovo) before and they have both been rather awkward and inaccurate in my experience. I much prefer the PSP nub as its travel gives a lot more feedback. Given that was a version 1 on PSP, I'm sure it could be refined to greater control, nicer feel, all in a flat stick that'll fit onto any handheld device (specifically the ARC wand!).

Yes, I believe he's refering to the rubbery blob in the middle of a Thinkpad keyboard. It's also too slow for gaming me think.

Back