PSP Go

I must say that I really like my Go. The only crap thing about it is that it looks itself into one user account, so you you have to reactivate it if you want to play Grandia from the JP PS Store, and then you have to reactivate it again on the PS3 if you want to play Gran Turismo.

Other than that I would say that it is extremely portable and I can actually bring it everywhere in my pocket (versus the 2000 which you basically had to have in a bag or something). The bluetooth stuff also works great, tried skype with a headset and network tethering. Both work without any problems whatsoever on the PSP part. And GT had a Nissan Primera (my current car) and a late 80's Toyota Celica (my previous car)!

I must say that I really like my Go. The only crap thing about it is that it looks itself into one user account, so you you have to reactivate it if you want to play Grandia from the JP PS Store, and then you have to reactivate it again on the PS3 if you want to play Gran Turismo.

Other than that I would say that it is extremely portable and I can actually bring it everywhere in my pocket (versus the 2000 which you basically had to have in a bag or something). The bluetooth stuff also works great, tried skype with a headset and network tethering. Both work without any problems whatsoever on the PSP part. And GT had a Nissan Primera (my current car) and a late 80's Toyota Celica (my previous car)!

Can you transfer game saves from the old PSP to the PSP Go? I had trouble going from PSP-1000 to PSP-2000 and from one PSP-2000 to another.

One of my biggest gripes about GT PSP is the car selection. There are only a handful of models produced since 2004, and I would love to be able to drive my own car as in NFS Shift and Forza 3, both of which are in the same launch window as GT PSP.

Yesterday i had the pleasure of trying GT-PSP on a PSP-GO.
I find that the PSP-Go is superior to the Original PSP in every aspect, and driving was much more easy with the placement of the analog "thumb" and the feedback it gives compared to the PSP-1000.

I saw someone with a Go on the train the other day. It's a LOT smaller and very slick looking. People who rag on Go and dismiss the smaller form factor have probably never seen one in person. It really isn't much bigger than an iphone and makes my PSP1000 look and feel like a brick in comparison.

:oops:

Even worse, the PS3 version is $59.99 while the iPhone is $9.99!!!!!

Does he think buyers are idiots? Just because two games have the same name does not make them the same. While I agree the PSP version cost to much (no PSP game is really worth $40 IMO), they should not assume the consumers are brain dead.

I just picked up Madden 2008 on UMD for $8, so I'll take the best of both worlds :)

I would guess they keep the iPhone versions small in size. So it may not have the licensed soundtrack which the PS3 version definitely has and which the PSP version may have as well.

A casual gamer may not appreciate the differences, not to mention the different control interface.

A more dedicated gamer who buys Madden for the consoles would obviously know the difference. However, he may decide that a $10 (or cheaper with sales) iPhone game may be worth trying out to complement his console game for various times during the day when he's outside the home, whereas a $40 PSP version is a harder sell. Besides the higher price, you have to carry a PSP around, which one is less likely to do than a phone.

Both the PSP and iPhone versions of the game are likely to be compromises of the full console version, so it may make more sense to get the much cheaper version.

Same kind of deliberations for FIFA 10.

I saw someone with a Go on the train the other day. It's a LOT smaller and very slick looking. People who rag on Go and dismiss the smaller form factor have probably never seen one in person. It really isn't much bigger than an iphone and makes my PSP1000 look and feel like a brick in comparison.

Lot smaller but still more expensive, with a lot of the same shortcomings -- battery life, analog nub.

May be easier to carry around but will it make up for whatever the reasons people have stopped playing the PSP much, judging by the low software sales.

As long as Sony did not over-produce, they should do ok. Some people will appreciate the smaller size. I think based on an earlier interview, Sony is expecting 20-30% of PSP-1000 owners to upgrade (Something like that).

EDIT: Since they don't allow users to convert UMD games to HDD, I'm guessing they will not meet their targeted conversion ratio. PSPGo seems to have bumped up PSP-3000 sales temporarily though.

PSPGo seems to have bumped up PSP-3000 sales temporarily though.

There's a pretty good explanation of that effect in this TedTalk.

Imagine I give you a choice. Do you want to go for a weekend to Rome? All expenses paid, hotel, transportation, food, breakfast, a continental breakfast, everything. Or a weekend in Paris? Now, a weekend in Paris, a weekend in Rome, these are different things. They have different food, different culture, different art. Now imagine I added a choice to the set that nobody wanted. Imagine I said, "A weekend in Rome, a weekend in Paris, or having your car stolen?" It's a funny idea. Because why would having your car stolen, in this set, influence anything? But what if the option to have your car stolen was not exactly like this. What if it was a trip to Rome, all expenses paid, transportation, breakfast. But doesn't include coffee in the morning. If you want coffee you have to pay for it yourself. It's two euros 50. Now in some ways, given that you can have Rome with coffee, why would you possibly want Rome without coffee? It's like having your car stolen. It's an inferior option. But guess what happened. The moment you add Rome without coffee, Rome with coffee becomes more popular. And people choose it. The fact that you have Rome without coffee makes Rome with coffee look superior. And not just to Rome without coffee, even superior to Paris.

Lot smaller but still more expensive, with a lot of the same shortcomings -- battery life, analog nub.

May be easier to carry around but will it make up for whatever the reasons people have stopped playing the PSP much, judging by the low software sales.

The battery life was only an issue on the internet at least imho. Anyone that can drain the PSP from battery on a daily charge has alot of free time on his hands or spends to much time on the road.

The iPhone has a very similar battery time, usually a bit lower.

Of course if we are talking about atlantic flights which was mentioned plenty of times on forums as a proof of "bad" battery life, then it´s a different issue.

And as i mentioned above, the Analog Nub is clearly improved, and it´s still the best solution on any handheld device.

The only negative thing about the PSPGO is the price, the rest is pretty awesome.

And as i mentioned above, the Analog Nub is clearly improved, and it´s still the best solution on any handheld device.
I was going to raise that. What alternatives are there? I think the nub is a smart, innovative solution. For true portable gaming allowing the glut of genres, it's a big plus. iPhone gaming means unconventional controls, some of which are far worse than the nub.

PSP Go hacked ?
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/11/12/psp-go-hacked-with-custom-6-1-firmware-by-team-typhoon/

This video is for bragging rights ONLY (since it’s very cool nowadays) and shows our Proof of Concept 6.10 Custom Firmware running on the PSPgo. This will never be released to the general public or anyone else at all whether you are a dev or not, this is Team Typhoon internal material, we have no reason whatsoever to waste a perfectly good exploit. So don’t ask for release dates. We don’t care about your complaining, whining and everything remotely related and it’s your own damn fault since you brought this on yourselves. Better version of the video showcasing more homebrew coming next week. Thanks go to Sony for this awesome piece of new hardware, finally a decent hardware revision. Also thanks to all historied PSP Homebrew developers for paving the way for us to be able to do this.

YouTube video in the link.

So, I had my first opportunity to hold and play a PSP Go the other day.

Do.Not.Want.

I just cannot stand how tiny it is, my hands were ridiculously cramped, it didn't feel comfortable to me at all. I'll stick with my trusty 2000 series until I can get a good 3000 series for a good price.

^This is depressing.

I was on the metro with 2 of my friends, sandwiched between a DJMax Wifi match. I suddenly want a PSP for Christmas (hmm sounds familiar :LOL: )

I'm paying for it though so I'd want the Go, but as of now it seems like there's still quite some tradeoffs to go. Perhaps post-homebrew, I guess- PSN store lacks DJMaxes I heard.

At this point I don't think there's any reason not to go with a 3000. The Go!'s more of a second PSP -- but thanks to Sony for supporting different memory standards between the 3000 and the Go!

At this point I don't think there's any reason not to go with a 3000. The Go!'s more of a second PSP -- but thanks to Sony for supporting different memory standards between the 3000 and the Go!

Except you can bring the Go everywhere. The 3000 is just to big to do that comfortably. Plus, the bluetooth is really nice.

Except you can bring the Go everywhere. The 3000 is just to big to do that comfortably. Plus, the bluetooth is really nice.

At this point, though, between the two, there's no question that the Go! is the inferior choice, from the perspective of a game device. Mostly because there's a ton of good games that the Go hasn't gotten and may never get. The 3000 can play everything the Go can plus UMD titles. Don't get me wrong, now that I bought a replacement 3000, I might buy a Go. But I'd never buy a Go instead of a 3000.

Back