PSP Firmware 4.00 out now

patsu

Legend
Downloading...
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/16/psp-playstation-portable-v400-update/

This new upgrade replicates the Google Internet search experience, delivering the same search results that you’d get at www.google.com. And with a search history recall of 20 items, Web searches couldn’t be easier.

After you download and install the firmware on your PSP, click on the XMB’s Network icon and then the new Internet Search icon. Enter your keywords and then let Google’s algorithms do the work. You’ll need to be connected to the Internet via a wireless access point or Wi-Fi hotspot. Googling something on the go has never been more convenient on your PSP.

Another new feature delivered through the 4.00 update is the ability to change viewing speed during playback of videos stored on your Memory Stick PRO Duo, so you can speed through or slow down what you’re watching. To do this simply press the up or down directional buttons while playing a video. Enjoy!

May be the PS3 2.36 update has something to do with the PSP 4.00 update.

EDIT: Tried the new Google icon in PSP XMB. The search keywords/phrases will automatically become an XMB icon, making it very easy to reuse the same keywords. I only hope that they allow us to name the search result icons differently :) Right now, it inherits the search keywords as the icon name.

It's cool nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
May be the PS3 2.36 update has something to do with the PSP 4.00 update.

Perhaps, because 4.00 and 2.40 are supposed support Marlin, maybe it was backported to 2.36 since 4.00 is out.

Another DRM system (It's currently used on the eBook devices)... I could be wrong though as we had branches as far back as 2.00 supporting. Granted there were also branches going as far back as 1.80 with stuff that's not "released" so I'm not positive.

This one ? Looks interesting !

Marlin is a content sharing platform for consumer devices and multimedia services that is based on open standards. Marlin enables:

* Content, service and device providers to deliver multimedia entertainment to consumers in a seamless and compelling fashion, and

* Consumers to interact and share their content in a manner that is natural and consistent with traditional entertainment experiences.

EDIT:
According to here, Marlin is based on Intertrust. It's a very complex DRM system based on public key technologies. Sony, Panasonic and Microsoft all own rights to the core technologies.

Thanks for the update. I will update my PSP when i get home...if I can get away from playing FF VII on it :p

The core InterTrust technology supports a wide range of use cases. It was (is ?) unique in at least the following ways:

* Online and offline use (i.e., authorization without network connection by using offline key store/cache)

* Superdistribution: Consumers selling (and reselling value-added) content to other consumers. The (demo) system was able to figure out the revenue split between the resellers and the content owner(s) based on terms dictated by the original content owner.

It requires a world wide public key infrastructure (worldwide trust framework, entrusted to Telcos), which was lacking in the early 90s when we were talking to them (To invest and/or buy the technologies or not). As I recall, some prominent security figures were involved in the startup as advisors and designers.

Not sure how much of that vision remains active today. Will give Marlin a read when I have time.

EDIT: If Marlin is indeed in PSP and PS3, Sony certainly has put a sh*tload of advanced technologies into the Playstation brand. Even stuff that I deemed too high concept in the 90s made it to the final product. I am amazed.

Fascinating and point taken Patsu on your Edit.

With all due respect to archie, is there a source out there that can confirm Marlin's presence in PSP 4.00 and PS3 2.40?

My inadequate Google skills suggest not. Maybe I should take it for what it is: a snippet from archie4oz.

Cheers.

patsu said:
According to here, Marlin is based on Intertrust. It's a very complex DRM system based on public key technologies. Sony, Panasonic and Microsoft all own rights to the core technologies.

Marlin is not "based on Intertrust," Intertrust is a company (which is co-owned by Sony and Philips), Marlin is a technology implementation.

one said:
Interesting, the last time I mentioned Marlin it was a year ago...
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=67
The interoperable music/video download store is finally ready?

The first implementation I know of was the Connect Player (the failed replacement for SonicStage) and the A1000/A3000 series HDD music players. However while I believe they supported it, I think the whole thing was deployed using OpenMG instead since Marlin was quite new and immature at that time (like 2-3 years ago).

The eBookstore and eBook readers (dunno about the Libre though), do support and use Marlin.

The PSP currently supports MSSV (MemoryStick Secure Video) for existing DRM solutions, and should support Marlin in the future (as well as the PS3).

patsu said:
EDIT: If Marlin is indeed in PSP and PS3, Sony certainly has put a sh*tload of advanced technologies into the Playstation brand. Even stuff that I deemed too high concept in the 90s made it to the final product. I am amazed.

I wouldn't get too exciting about those pie in the sky descriptions of advanced functionality... Honestly just getting a very basic DRM system working between a device and a service is enough of a PITA.

Marlin is not "based on Intertrust," Intertrust is a company (which is co-owned by Sony and Philips), Marlin is a technology implementation.

I re-read the press release, and indeed I was wrong. Marlin seems to be an interoperable DRM specs. InterTrust is one of the companies participating in Marlin. Sorry for the confusion.

I wouldn't get too exciting about those pie in the sky descriptions of advanced functionality... Honestly just getting a very basic DRM system working between a device and a service is enough of a PITA.

I agree. That's why we did not went ahead with the InterTrust deal ;-)

There's quite a few flaws in that article...

patsu said:
I agree. That's why we did not went ahead with the InterTrust deal

Well my comment was aimed more at DRM integration in general and not Marlin specifically.

Back