PSP Capabilites vs say PS2?

TEXAN said:
Although a QVGA screen (320x240) would get the job done. I would like to see a Game Gear 2 with a HVGA screen (480x320) or better yet a VGA screen (640x480) or even better an SVGA screen (800x600) or even better still an XVGA screen (1024x768).

Ok I've had it.. What the ***k does this have to do with PSP or PS2?

xmu said:
Ok I've had it.. What the ***k does this have to do with PSP or PS2?

Not only that, but i tried to read that post over and over again and i just couldn't make my mind up on whether TEXAN was on drugs when he wrote that (not that he needs to), or if it's something else...

london-boy said:
Where does this info come from?
there was an announcement a while back that they were going to do this. however after some googling this seems to have changed since i'm reading gt4 is going to be one of the first games to uncap the full 333mhz and sony is also going to be bringing out a longer lasting battery to accomodate all the power the full 333mhz is going to eat up.

Posting from my PSP :)

I am also quite impressed with the system, especially WP. Not just great graphically, but nice gameplay as well.

People may not know this, but many PS2 games were 512x512.
512x512 was for PAL regions, IIRC (Europe), and NTSC versions used 512x448. The overscan on most normal TVs is bad enough that you can crop the vertical resolution to 420 or 430 and be fine. 448 was a nice safe figure, as it does date back to NTSC region titles for the NES (possibly earlier, somebody else may know better).

im not sure any game uses the full 333mhz yet, but that said burnout legends looks and runs great at 222mhz.
That's because they can't... at least not through normal means. This probably relates back to the same thing that was mentioned earlier about the battery, but Sony's API locks out anything above 222 MHz. There's an API function for setting the clock speed, but it won't set anything about 222. Now chances are that you can just go into the code for this API function and make your own version that doesn't max out at 222, but I think developers care about making sure the battery lasts long enough that you can play their product for a while.

Also, the CPU never runs continuously at one speed anyway -- clock-locking by software is not a *HARD* lock, or so I'm led to believe. You gotta love Sony's "blank page paradox."

So how about bumpmapping on PSP?
AFAICS, no. The GE is a single-texturing fixed-function GPU -- that much was said in a dozen interviews with various PSP developers. Doesn't do anything special, except maybe at the vertex level, if compared to the fixed-function path of other GPUs... not that anyone really uses those features yet, FWIW.

Back