PSP Capabilites vs say PS2?

I feel i needed to make this post as this little machine has totally blown me away on the Visuals. Wow it was a long wait and i could imported it but now when its in you hands, well i should stop ranting now :)
What im thinking is this and i mean specially titles like RR an WP, tomorrow burnoutlegends etz.. How can devs already get this good looking titles out of it and how can you compare it powerwise vs todays consoles? Just by the eye i think RR looked better on PSP than on PS2, the same goes with Wipeout.

A follow up question to this is if anyone know "if" PSP can do bump/normalmaps at reasonably cost?
Lastly does anyone remember witch game it was(or rather the first) that would use the 333Mhz/166Mhz "full" hw-settings of PSP?

im not sure any game uses the full 333mhz yet, but that said burnout legends looks and runs great at 222mhz.

in my opinion, i think the psp games far surpass ps1 quality but are not quite there yet in the ps2 region. some titles do look amazing though, rr wipeout and burnout being a few of them but still not fully ps2 quality imo.

im sure we could see more games coming very close to ps2 quality when they finally decide to use 333mhz.

At its current lower capped clockspeed, PSP graphics in games seem to be closest to Dreamcast level but marginally lower. Their geometry complexity matches DC's well. Texture quality is very noticeably lower, though. Image quality suffers from 16-bit color blending and from more annoying aliasing due to a lack of AA to compensate for the smaller display. Various flourishes like multitexture effects seem more plentiful than on DC while others like shadows have looked lower resolution than DC. Post processing effects are well improved over DC. Load times in PSP games have been dismal in comparison from the poor seek times of the UMD drive.

What do you mean 'lack of AA to compensate for the smaller display'? The resolution of that screen is unaparalleled - it suffers far less from jaggies then any other non-AA'd display due to the tiny size of the pixels.

you know, i downgraded the speed of my psp to 111Mhz (instead of deafult 222mhz) and DTR played almost like fullspeed!
back to 222 and overclocked to 333mhz, its smoother but there isnt that much difference.
i bet we will see better and more complex games in the future

The PSP's 480x272 display cramps detail more than the 640x480 resolution of consoles and some PDAs. Supersampling the image in the games from a pixel count comparable to the consoles could've retained console level graphical definition for the PSP's smaller display.

People may not know this, but many PS2 games were 512x512. Add interlacing to that mix, and it brings it down to 512x256 - very close to the PSP res.

and therein lise the problem. standard def. interlaced televisions add a decent amount of blur and antialiasing. take that same image and put it on a proggressive scan monitor and it'll look worse. and on an lcd it'll look even worse. you can get away with a bit less resolution if your display technology compensates. it doesn't on the psp. lcd's are pretty unforgiving.

also, interlacing halves the resolution per field, not per frame. the image displayed from said ps2 games would still be 512*512@30 frames per second, it just takes 2 hz to display the whole frame.

The fact remains that it is only displaying 512x256 at any given time.

That's all I'm saying.

At any rate, some games do look pretty jagged on the PSP - Burnout and Tony Hawk come to mind. Other games, like Virtua Tennis and Ridge Racer, look awesome. Depends on what the devs do with the console.

But they all look pretty good all things considered. Definitely the best looking handheld games, bar none.

The fact remains that it is only displaying 512x256 at any given time
no, it's displaying 512*512 in two interleaved fields. it takes 2 passes to dispolay the frame, but the whole frame is displayed. the phosphers are still lit (though fading fast) from feild 1 when field 2 is drawn.

Hahaha mate, it's still only displaying 512x256. It's displaying 512x256 at 60fps, but it's still 512x256.

Interlacing doesn't factor into the issue of graphical definition since definition involves not how much resolution is updated at a time, but rather how much resolution is effectively present for conveying the graphics.

Due to persistence of vision, that still looks like 512 lines on a 512 line interlaced screen, though with flicker if the refresh isn't amazingly high. This is easily proved by going back 15 years to the Amiga, with 640x256 and 640x512 displays. 512 lines was obviously higher res, but flickered.

So how about bumpmapping on PSP? Actually i havent read any really indepht article about the system, if anyone has a link..

The thing i like most now i must say that i first thought was only on the DS is Gamesharing, My buddies buy the games and i play them, could it be any better for a broke old student. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Mech, that might hold true for early field-rendered games like RRV, but it's been years since PS2 started rendering full frames (640x480), much like Xbox and GC. Those games supporting progressive scan show this, and even those that do not support it render internally at full resolution.

I haven't heard of the PSP supporting dot product bump mapping like the Xbox or the more expensive perturbed normals bump mapping like the Dreamcast.

Although a QVGA screen (320x240) would get the job done. I would like to see a Game Gear 2 with a HVGA screen (480x320) or better yet a VGA screen (640x480) or even better an SVGA screen (800x600) or even better still an XVGA screen (1024x768).

Lazy8s said:
I haven't heard of the PSP supporting dot product bump mapping like the Xbox or the more expensive perturbed normals bump mapping like the Dreamcast.
DC's bump mapping is also a dot product (just a different way of expressing it).

i wouldn't expect the extra 111mhz to be uncapped. newer psp models are going to come with 222mhz chips and not downclocked 333mhz chips.

Back