PS5 Pro *spawn

I'm sorry, but I'm looking at that and just thinking... console gaming is literally devolving (or evolving depending on your viewpoint) into PC gaming right before our eyes.

What a bunch of BS. We essentially have a low tier console sku (Series S) mid tier console skus (PS5, Series X) and a high tier sku (PS5 Pro) and between all of them you have games with limitations depending on which device you play them on.. modes which work on some which don't on others, support for some graphics effects on some but not others and so on. They're literally shoving all this shit down people's throats and it's going to backfire on them.. because eventually it will become so messy, and people will get so accustomed to being able to tailor graphics and effects to how they want, to get the performance they want from the device they bought... that they might as well have just bought a PC.

They're slowly but surely pushing people who used to swear up and down that the benefits of the console were the pick up and play, no BS about having to fiddle with settings, to become accustomed to it... and when they do, it loses its distinction.

PCs are infinitely more varied and complex than a handful of console SKUs though. Windows itself is a headache then you’ve got to deal with all the IHV hardware and driver issues. It’s still quite a leap.

I'm sorry, but I'm looking at that and just thinking... console gaming is literally devolving (or evolving depending on your viewpoint) into PC gaming right before our eyes.

What a bunch of BS. We essentially have a low tier console sku (Series S) mid tier console skus (PS5, Series X) and a high tier sku (PS5 Pro) and between all of them you have games with limitations depending on which device you play them on.. modes which work on some which don't on others, support for some graphics effects on some but not others and so on. They're literally shoving all this shit down people's throats and it's going to backfire on them.. because eventually it will become so messy, and people will get so accustomed to being able to tailor graphics and effects to how they want, to get the performance they want from the device they bought... that they might as well have just bought a PC.

They're slowly but surely pushing people who used to swear up and down that the benefits of the console were the pick up and play, no BS about having to fiddle with settings, to become accustomed to it... and when they do, it loses its distinction.
How’s it gonna backfire when the people who are paying $700 for the console want to do stuff like this and get these features? I’m glad insomniac is doing this and letting ps5 pro players decide how they wanna play.

How’s it gonna backfire when the people who are paying $700 for the console want to do stuff like this and get these features? I’m glad insomniac is doing this and letting ps5 pro players decide how they wanna play.
With the base PS5 and Graphics vs Performance modes and all that, it created this unease among many players about having to make a choice and accept the compromises. It could be unsatisfying knowing that you were 'missing out' on something because you chose one way or the other. It gnawed at people's sense of FOMO.

This was really the main point of the PS5 Pro wasn't it? To help these folks go from a win-lose compromise to a win-win default. But if you're gonna add in ever more options for Pro, you're kind of taking people right back to that same win-lose feeling again, ya know?

I do personally think there's something to be said about a straightforward approach for console gaming. As much I may like options and PC gaming, there's often something quite refreshing about just booting up some Switch or PS4 game or something and getting stuck in and simply enjoying what's presented to me.

Last edited:

You can always ignore those options and just play at default settings. For an even more console like experience, you can leave your console on sleep mode, and don't have to wait for updates to download or install, since it does everything while sleeping. I don't understand this sentiment wherever I hear it, you have pretty simple choices.

With the base PS5 and Graphics vs Performance modes and all that, it created this unease among many players about having to make a choice and accept the compromises. It could be unsatisfying knowing that you were 'missing out' on something because you chose one way or the other. It gnawed at people's sense of FOMO.

This was really the main point of the PS5 Pro wasn't it? To help these folks go from a win-lose compromise to a win-win default. But if you're gonna add in ever more options for Pro, you're kind of taking people right back to that same win-lose feeling again, ya know?

I do personally think there's something to be said about a straightforward approach for console gaming. As much I may like options and PC gaming, there's often something quite refreshing about just booting up some Switch or PS4 game or something and getting stuck in and simply enjoying what's presented to me.
To be fair, insomniac is already presenting you with a win/win default mode for each game on the pro. I personally love the fact that if I wanna push the console even more, I can do so. If someone doesn’t have a 120hz tv they’ll be missing out too…But that shouldn’t stop Insomniac from giving more options to players on a device that only 10-15% of the userbase is gonna buy. And those are most likely the people that want this stuff.

Back