PS5 Pro *spawn

doesn't anything that run 120Hz automatically accept 40hz?

They just have to make the game flag the PS5 to output @ 120hz I think?
Yup, it's normal 120hz mode.
Just display same image for 3 frames while using vsync.

You could make 24hz mode by displaying image For 5 frames. (For maximum cinematic experience.)

I was kinda wondering this too. Anything HDMI 2 should "just work", however the older HDMI versions depend on the internal image processor on the TV itself. My 2014-era VIZIO M602i-B3 will accept a 40Hz input and automagically run it at 120Hz output.
Cerny said over 25% of PS5 owners own 120 fps-capable TVs, while around 1 in 10 PS5 players have variable refresh rate TVs.

doesn't anything that run 120Hz automatically accept 40hz?
I'm pretty sure any modern TV would work this way.

My question was centered around older TVs. 40Hz wasn't any sort of "standard" input method for HDMI; hell the only reason it fits into modern sets is because of HDMI 2 support for VRR. My M602 is ten years old at this point but it's a 120Hz LCD with 48-zone full array local dimming. It's a pretty decent set and there'd be no reason to replace it even plugged into a modern console. So, does a ten year old TV still work with 40Hz? I don't know that it's an assumption we should safely make, although in my Vizio's case, it seems to work just fine.

I have another 32" Samsung of the same era and it has no ability to accept inputs other than 24, 30, and 60Hz. Anything else and it gives the blue "unsupported input" screen. At the same time, it cost like $200 ten years ago and would probaby (but not certainly) be replaced by anyone who had the money to drop on a PS5 Pro.

So, I dunno... 🤷

Last edited:
Back