PS5 Pro *spawn

OLED is not a 'fairly small minority'. In Europe alone, OLED has 30% market share of all TVs sold.

That is irrelevant, what is relevant is install base of OLED as a TV technology.

As while its sales are healthy, it likely is a small minority compared to other display types when it comes to install base.

It wouldn't be that crazy to suggest that there a more LED TV's in the US then there are OLED TV's in the world.

Last edited:
keep in mind that in some examples, games running at 4K/30fps now run at an inferior res+PSSR to reach 60fps, 45% immprovement is in the case you do absolutely nothing to the base PS5 settings i guess.

keep in mind that in some examples, games running at 4K/30fps now run at an inferior res+PSSR to reach 60fps, 45% immprovement is in the case you do absolutely nothing to the base PS5 settings i guess.
there are games that are 4K/30, but don't have a 60fps mode on PS5 ?
Is this a CPU limited title?

That is irrelevant, what is relevant is install base of OLED as a TV technology.

As while its sales are healthy, it likely is a small minority compared to other display types when it comes to install base.

It wouldn't be that crazy to suggest that there a more LED TV's in the US then there are OLED TV's in the world.
It's not irrelevant. The question is how many OLED owners are likely to have bought a console of any kind, and hence have experienced 30fps on their TVs. That number is probably not a 'fairly small minority' as was initially stated. That's all!

When talking 60fps, are we talking about games that target and actually hit 60fps 95% of the time (Spiderman 2) and can actually be called 60fps games, or games that target 60fps, but never really get there (Dragon's Dogma 2) and should actually be called 30fps games with an unlocked frame rate?

Not being great at 30fps gaming is not a 'major flaw' of OLED technology. It's 30fps that is a 'major flaw' in gaming technology at this point in our lives.
I agree with your sentiment, but no, it is an actual flaw with the technology that it doesn't work well with low framerates.

I think this push for 60fps to be standard on consoles is also worse for the industry in general. People will wonder why PS6 games don't look any different from PS5 and PS5 Pro games.. and the reason is there all targeting 60fps instead of visual fidelity.

IMO, games should target whatever they choose, but now that the expectations are 60fps.. companies are less likely to raise the bar substantially when it comes to visuals.

Gotham Knights is still 30fps irrc.

There's a few more too...
Here's the list:

• Gotham Knights (lol)
  • Industria
  • The Casting of Frank Stone
  • The Quarry
Frank Stone and the quarry aren't 60 by developer choice, while Gotham knights is Gotham knights.

Industria is a pretty linear game as far as I can see, so I don't know why it's not 60.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly disagree with everything you write.

We're not 'whining', we're expressing our preference to 60, just like you are with 30. And no, 99% of 'these people' are not whining about this. Yes you get used to it if it's the only bloody option! It's still pretty shit. In 2024, 30fps should not be a thing.

OLED is not a 'fairly small minority'. In Europe alone, OLED has 30% market share of all TVs sold. You can bet that a lot of people buying the latest generation of consoles (and the Pro) are people who would have spent the extra money (not even that much in some cases) for an OLED TV.

Not being great at 30fps gaming is not a 'major flaw' of OLED technology. It's 30fps that is a 'major flaw' in gaming technology at this point in our lives.
Yea, y'all are still not getting it.

30fps is not my 'preference'(I literally stated this outright in the post you responded to smh). This has nothing to do with preference of 30fps vs 60fps. I dont know why this is so hard to get, even though I feel I'm explaining it well enough. I'm merely stating that 30fps is still entirely playable/acceptable, and that if we demand every game be 60fps, we will miss out on developers being able to push the hardware and their ambitions. This isn't about 30fps Quality vs 60fps Performance. We're talking about '30fps Horizon Zero Dawn' or '60fps some other game entirely cuz 60fps was too limiting for their ambitions'.

I cant stress enough that if we look back and had demanded everything in the past be 60fps, we'd have lost out on countless classics and amazing games, all cuz gamers demanded developers throw away their ambitions and what they really wanted to make in order to hit this 'required' 60fps framerate. It'd be ridiculous.

And yes, it's a downside of OLED technology if it cant display 30fps content smoothly, when other display types can. It just is, no matter how much you want to ignore it. Demanding every developer avoid 30fps simply because OLED is bad at it is asinine.

Last edited:

Not to mention London Geezer is likely only talking NEW sales. It doesn't represent what people might already own. Non-OLED screens last a long time nowadays. I know my TV is about 10 years old at this point. 30% is absolutely not going to represent the actual install base of all TV owners and probably not even close. People dont upgrade their TV that often and I'd bet of people who do, most are higher end buyers, meaning that 30% further represents a smaller percent of the actual overall population in context.

Last edited:
When talking 60fps, are we talking about games that target and actually hit 60fps 95% of the time (Spiderman 2) and can actually be called 60fps games, or games that target 60fps, but never really get there (Dragon's Dogma 2) and should actually be called 30fps games with an unlocked frame rate?
I think we're talking about 95% of the time.

I think some titles like Dragon's Dogma, yea, it's an unlocked mode, but no where near that 95% mark

I cant stress enough that if we look back and had demanded everything in the past be 60fps, we'd have lost out on countless classics and amazing games, all cuz gamers demanded developers throw away their ambitions and what they really wanted to make in order to hit this 'required' 60fps framerate. It'd be ridiculous.
But this generation has shown that - except some dodgy efforts here and there - 60fps can produce some great, great results. If you're Insomniac :runaway:

Back