PS5 Pro *spawn

I want to be clear. I held my tongue here, but in my mind: If you were right I wouldn't say nothing, but if you were wrong I'd change your username to PlaystationKing.
I think I am more than happy to read your opinions as PlaystationKing, but it's too jarring to read as XboxKing.

I think any real XboxKing would have known that Series S was made because prices weren't dropping, they talked about this at the Series console reveal. Seems like MS was right on this one.

It is a higher SKU, and they definitely need to convince people to upgrade at this price point.
PS5 did not drop in price; it's $699 digital, vertical stand sold separately.

You were wrong, oh so badly wrong, let me know if you'd accept this change in post.

I like my name as I had it for many years but I see your point

Not sure if we'd get anywhere past the GPU and RAM for similar specs though.
I wouldn’t be so sure. I think a 6800XT beats this in raster right? You can find those for sub $300. $400 to do everything else with used parts is tough but I think I could get in that ballpark.

I wasn’t expecting such a high price.

Sony probably looked at how well PS5 was selling through scalpers 3.5 years ago and concluded that a few million were willing to pay 799?

Btw it just shows how much value Xbox offers; it has ballpark/ about the same horsepower with series X but they only charge like 449
Well the issue there is Xbox may offer similar hardware but the performance is lower. Base PS5 beats XSX at times, Pro is going to beat it consistently despite the hardware parity.

CNET had a hands on:

So everything shown was at 4K 60fps in the highest fidelity modes, even Horizon which I didn't expect (as this game isn't pushing RT). They are probably using some high quality PSSR to reach perceptible native 4K in Horizon. They also don't spoke or try to showcase 8K which was the smart thing to do as this would only create unrealistic expectations.

Doubling framerates on the menu so this is so much better than PS4 Pro! They really listened to the gamers. Unsurprisingly for me 75% of players are selecting 60fps over 30fps. 30fps gaming is dead, even for PLaystation execs and that's a really good news. I expect Microsoft to follow suite and stop releasing their games at 30fps only.

Cnet says "An AI-assisted upscaling mode, called PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution, works across the whole game library without any needed patch, adding in details to upscale to 4K. "

wut? Is this like auto sr?

I really want to know if there’s any dedicated hardware for RT in there. Are we just looking a lateral benefit of the raster boost with a software maturation to the claimed RT gains?

Earlier you claimed there are no material evidence for all the leaks of the PS5 Pro that we had for months, so what now that you have the real thing in front of you?
The device itself (PS5 Pro) is real but the "supposed details" like the disproportionately high RT improvements (upto 4x perf) or the implementation of AI the upscaler can be either any combination of wrong/misleading/unclear. A broken clock can be right twice a day ...
Possible, but Sony spoke of extensive hardware ray tracing improvements, so I would put the upscaling portion in the equation at the low side.
They saw a near doubling (which falls well below the rumored 3/4x factor) of performance in R&C Rift Apart in fidelity mode so there's definitely no ruling out how much of a potential factor the gains with upscaling are especially if they're feeding it with a high enough resolution source data ...

IIRC. From my understanding, no (?).
3SEs would be more ROPS and RBES and more geometry engines.

2SEs would keep everything as is, but increase the CU count. So it's an even more lopsided xbox series x. 16 dual CUs per SE. 1 DWG cut per SE

On what basis please? I've not seen anything beyond rumoured CU quantity in the leaks.

I'm looking forward to the die shot. Lumping as many CU's as possible onto the existing SE's etc doesn't seem like a great design at first glance.

Thing is, they're already running into that limit. It's the whole reason they forecasted lower sales for 2024, after already falling short of expectations in 2023. This is almost entirely due to the lack of decrease in price.

So to offer a new console for literally $300 more than the base console(a 75% price increase) seems ludicrous. Can we not hold water for these companies being just blatantly and shamelessly greedy, please? This is gonna get a bunch of backlash and they'll deserve all of it.

What's crazy is that even if they reduced price by $100 in response to backlash, it'll still be a bit ridiculous without a disc drive. Yet that might actually be the strategy here, as consumers really are dumb enough to cheer for 'awful' as an improvement from 'ridiculously bad'.

I'm not carrying water for anyone. I was simply stating that they will inevitably try the highest price possible. No different to stating that a ball will roll down a hill.

Gran Turismo 7 was maybe the most stunning demo of all, because it added two new modes. 8K gameplay on an 80-inch screen made me wonder how this could be used for sim racing setups with massive displays. Ray tracing, finally added into GT7's gameplay in another 4K mode, made crowded races with cars feel even more real. I was so hypnotized by looking at car finishes that I kept crashing.
Thats sound interesting

Another interesting for me CNET quote
As CNET's resident VR expert, I'm curious what the PS5 Pro can do for the PlayStation VR 2, although Sony's support for the headset has been underwhelming lately. Cerny said the Pro will allow higher-resolution games on the PSVR 2 thanks to the GPU boost and eventually a tuning of Sony's AI upscaling that will work with all VR games. But no specific PSVR 2 upgraded games have been announced yet, and I wonder what those improvements would even feel like.

I kinda badly want Demon's Souls fidelity mode at 60fps. It should also solve the problem of IQ in FF7 Rebirth (which was caused by bad TAA). Also the GPU limited parts of DD2 should run at stable 60fps now.

Thats sound interesting
Not surprised as resolution is like a personnal fetish for Yamauchi and has always been. But this will stay as the exception, an experiment for an old man.

They saw a near doubling (which falls well below the rumored 3/4x factor) of performance in R&C Rift Apart in fidelity mode
You are smart enough to know that a 2x to 3x RT improvements and 45% Raster improvements will never yield 3x overall improvements, rendering is not limited by RT alone.

the "supposed details" like the disproportionately high RT improvements (upto 4x perf) or the implementation of AI the upscaler can be either any combination of wrong/misleading/unclear. A broken clock can be right twice a day ...
In other words you refuse to admit you were wrong, and continue to not believe in the evidence even when it's right in your face.

I guess Sony is lying is an easier explanation.

The device itself (PS5 Pro) is real but the "supposed details" like the disproportionately high RT improvements (upto 4x perf) or the implementation of AI the upscaler can be either any combination of wrong/misleading/unclear. A broken clock can be right twice a day ...

They saw a near doubling (which falls well below the rumored 3/4x factor) of performance in R&C Rift Apart in fidelity mode so there's definitely no ruling out how much of a potential factor the gains with upscaling are especially if they're feeding it with a high enough resolution source data ...
Doubling the framerate of the Insomiac games at near native 4K (or perceptible thanks to PSSR) is more than most people were expecting. Not one (big) game got its framerate doubled on PS4 Pro and certainly not the big open-world games.

You are smart enough to know that a 2x to 3x RT improvements and 45% Raster improvements will never yield 3x overall improvements, rendering is not limited by RT alone.

In other words you refuse to admit you were wrong, and continue to not believe in the evidence even when it's right in your face.

I guess Sony is lying is an easier explanation.
Not raster, rendering which is the end of the pipeline. They even specified "smoother" which means, as I thought, 45% is a realistic / honest number of the performance improvement of a game without RT or PSSR and has to be compared with 77% rendering improvements on PS4 Pro. BTW 45% is a good mean of 28% and 67%.

Overall, this enables up to 45% faster rendering for gameplay, making the experience much smoother.

Back