PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the way console games are tested these days, adding options like this exponentially increases the amount of testing. Maybe with neo, scorpio, and later rolling gens, the culture might change a bit, and "safer" programing practices might let devs be more confortable to ooen up certain cettings like that
A 900p60fps/1080p30fps switch would definetly be cool.
No! Please God, no!

The Last of Us remaster does that to an extent: locked 30fps with great shadows, or unlocked framerate with worse shadows. It's a shame that hasn't caught on.

I like how consoles games sort of self impose a "cannon" way of how they are supposed to look. So I half agree with that. but at the same time, in the world of multiplat everything, and 'turn off motion blur/ca/camera shake/cap framerate buttons' the idea has gone to hell already.

That's exactly why new game engines should only have 1 setting, "Automatic", and be fully dynamic and self adjusting live during runtime like the Forza engine.
That's much easier said than done. Are there any details on the specifics of how it works on Forza?

That's exactly why new game engines should only have 1 setting, "Automatic", and be fully dynamic and self adjusting live during runtime like the Forza engine.

If they are fully automatic why not have user to select your preferences on fps or resolution priority; given the rest of the engine can customise the rendering to suit?

I dind't find any details on how it works there. I know it exists, I'm curious about its implementation. What is dynamic, what heuristics it uses, how they are mesured...

I dind't find any details on how it works there. I know it exists, I'm curious about its implementation. What is dynamic, what heuristics it uses, how they are mesured...
I believe dynamic systems are based on frame rate and load. Ramps up load to keep it at target frame rate. Ramos down load to keep it at target frame rate.

I'm unsure as to how much can be dynamic, I suppose it's up to the developer to remove things they assume you cannot or wont be focussing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, there are other threads that went into more tech but I can't find them now to link to.

Americans want automatic. Rest of the world prefers stick manual.

Reactions: scf
Americans want automatic. Rest of the world prefers stick manual.
Damn. Lol don't lump us all together.
I'm not really sure if this analogy works. By using your analogy, consoles are automatic cars that you can't modify, PC can be anything from a locked down machine to your hand built and tuned race car.

So when Brit says that consoles should be automatic, I think to many degrees he's right. Letting the developer decide the experience seems to make the most sense, we pay to enjoy the product not to pay to enjoy the optimization process, which is inherently fine as a hobby, but doesn't seem to fit the profile of the console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't really have to be that way. The division has settings that let you turn off CA and adjust sharpness which affects AA.

As long as devs limits setting changes that don't kill performance which shouldn't be hard since we are talking a limited number of hardware configurations.

Games simply auto detect and place their optimal settings as max values which allows you turn settings down to boost frame rates but you cant turn anything up to sink frame rates below the standard rates.

I'm not really sure if this analogy works.
It wasn't really an analogy. ;) Completely automated scaling to keep a required target is a good notion, but you are deciding the user's preferred target for them. As we all know, different strokes for different folks. So a game that can be set to be either 60fps or 30fps+shiny is going to better please a wider range of people than a game that picks only one.

Don't we have another thread discussing this? Should this discussion be kept in the Neo thread?

Indeed. Even though the UK is in the EU, we're certainly no Europeans! :p

Not to mention we're still in the EU and will be for probably two years and may even hang around a bit anyways 'coz no-one's quite sure what's going on or how it all works. May have had another three referendums by then. Britain may not even exist as a country by then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back