PS3: Word of Mouth & Hands-on (Rumors)

Rumor 1:

Airplane>Boat>Truck> Of Salt

An industry insider who goes by the name Fishie (how very appropriate) says that he got some hands-on time with Playstation 3 games in Japan and wasn’t too happy with what he saw.

From his comments:

PS3 Info Before I Head Out Of Japan Friday Towards Noon, Thats Tokyo time. Have fun waiting a while longer boys. No way that thing is coming out in March. The games just arent there and lots of other isseus I cant delve into right now.

Before you start thinking that Fishie’s post is, um, fishy, he has earned himself a tad more credibility than the typical poster by reporting dead-on facts about the 360 a few weeks before E3. Back then he called the 360 titles underwhelming and said that while there may be some kickass stuff, most people won’t be floored.

So, what does this mean for the PS3? Will it be a rocky starty or a delayed launch, or is Fishie just full of crap?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rumor 2:

Credit: Lefein

Tommy Tallarico of Judgement Day wrote: said:
Unfortunately I am under strict NDA and cannot mention any titles. The gameplay graphics look a little better than minor... but it more of the way the worlds and environments are being created and built. For example... in Project Gotham racing if you stop on the side of the road and look at a tree... it is basically just two texture maps pasted together in a cross pattern (like games have done for the past 10 years)... but some of the stuff I'm seeing on the PS3 has every element of a tree including branches, leaves, etc... and it all gets affected by the wind as your car passes by... as well as the lighting. Not saying the 360 CAN'T do that... I'm just saying that from what I've seen.... I'm a lot more impressed with the 1st generation PS3 titles compared to the 1st gen 360 titles.

T.T.

hey69 said:
hah, my cousins info is spreading here too now?

I love the sacrasm, but...

Seriously, this rumor crap is getting out of hand. I wouldn't be surprised if many games were very early in development. Does not mean a console cannot launch in spring (June 19th is still spring).

he means a full tree with leaves like speed tree creates in the unreal engine games? ah well this thread will get interesting. I don't know how TT can compare a racing title to whatever else he saw but that's anothe rmatter altogether

Last edited by a moderator:
dukmahsik said:
i wouldn't be surprised if 1st gen ps3 games look better then 1st gen 360 games

Me neither. PS3 devs will have had a quite a bit longer with a better representation of final hardware for PS3 than devs had with 360. That plus the likelihood that RSX is a more conventional/used design than Xenos definitely gives them a leg up.

expletive said:
Me neither. PS3 devs will have had a quite a bit longer with a better representation of final hardware for PS3 than devs had with 360. That plus the likelihood that RSX is a more conventional/used design than Xenos definitely gives them a leg up.

early ps3 dev kits had more in common with final kits than 360 early 360 dev kits

but really though, both ps3 and 360 1st gen games will come nowhere near as close to showing either system's graphical prowess

ROG27 said:

Seriously, this rumor crap is getting out of hand. I wouldn't be surprised if many games were very early in development. Does not mean a console cannot launch in spring (June 19th is still spring).
hey69 was behind the l-b fronted rumor a while back as well. This thread should just be locked.

.Sis

expletive said:
Thats what i meant, sorry if it didnt come across that way. :)

well i look at it this way, cell is exotic as well as xenos moreso than xcpu and rsx as they are more "traditional". so devs will be able to squeeze more out of them (rsx and xcpu) in the beginning. that's only logical! but who knows... :LOL:

dukmahsik said:
i wouldn't be surprised if 1st gen ps3 games look better then 1st gen 360 games

I would say launch titles yeah, but 1st gen games period I don't know

I think by the time the PS3 comes out the xbox360 should have a few great looking games out that will look just as good or better then what the ps3 launches with

ROG27 said:

We can chalk that up under "No shit". Xbox 360 games were the same way at E3, but people didn't care. It was supposed to look good since it's on a next gen system.

I think Sony wrote a check that is going to bounce on their ass. They showed these videos of how games are GOING to look like and when they finally show playable stuff, people are going to expect that quality.

It's easier to under-promise and over-deliver than to deliver on what you promised.

On to the Tommy T. comment, I mean, who cares how a tree looks in PGR3? In a game where you'll be whizzing past them at over 100 miles an hour who cares? As a developer of a launch game, whose going to devote time and assets to trees? It just doesn't make sense from a development aspect. I could see if it was a game where you could get out of the car and walk around, but I think Tommy Boy is just being a little too nit picky. It would be interesting to know the game that he was comparing to PGR3.

I guess it's the Fishie from the Tokyopia crew ... well at least he posted at their forum, that he is doing work in Tokyo at the moment.

pegisys said:
I would say launch titles yeah, but 1st gen games period I don't know

I think by the time the PS3 comes out the xbox360 should have a few great looking games out that will look just as good or better then what the ps3 launches with

In fact no by the time the PS3 hit which until now is rumored as spring there will not be a single second generation 360 game out,in fact most will be first gen games that din't make it to launch like Obiblion or Ghost Recond 3 or games that were target for march or april far from second generation.

dukmahsik said:
so tommy is saying each leaf on the tree is emmitting it's own shadow on everything else? while swaying in the wind?
Sounds like it, I think what he means by wind is that they probably make a rustle sound. Kinda like that e3 leaves demo. But who knows, he doesnt really go into detail.

I think it would be pretty cool to have leaves blowing up in the air after cars fly by them on the road or somthing, and making rustling sounds when you do so.
The small added features in a game are the ones that make it feel more complete and immersive imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy said:
Sounds like it, I think what he means by wind is that they probably make a rustle sound. Kinda like that e3 leaves demo. But who knows, he doesnt really go into detail.

I think it would be pretty cool to have leaves blowing up in the air after cars fly by them on the road or somthing, and making rustling sounds when you do so.

yeah next gen better provide us with that! i think forza already does this but am unsure

Back