[PS3] Uncharted 2

Twitter works for me to https://twitter.com/jpedrot

I wish the platforms and puzzels where a bit harder, the shooting is challenging to me, still only on chapter 9, but choose to play on hard after Scott_Arm said it was to easy on normal.

I'm playing on hard and I'm not challenged at all right now, but I'm loving the experience! Can't wait to immediately start playing on Crushing afterward :D

I'm playing on Normal :) Died quite a few times later on in the game. I usually die from being stupid =D

Gonna play Hard and then Crushing.

I think the platforming is MUCH better than the first game. It's not as obvious as the first, and has more of a challenge to it. It's also more exciting and visually pleasing. Some tougher bits later in the game, which I loved doing. I also think the mix to gunplay is much much better this time. Finely balanced.

And once again...the pacing is tightened so well.

So what do people think about the animations? Is it improved upon in comparison to the prequel?

So far i haven't really noticed much of a difference, drake still warps around whenever you want to climb something, unless you position your character in the right position with relation to "where" drake can climb stuff (there are only one\few places where drake can actually climb\grab a ledge\rock, if your not close to them, drake will magically fly in position to be able to climb).

Im a little dissapointed by this as AC1 had much more fluent motion in this regard, and i kinda thought ND would improve upon the prequel in this regard, as the warping extremely obvious in the first title.

Sounds like they have matchmaking based on skills. They mentioned that the game gathers detailed stats, so matchmaking should be a natural extension. Whether it works well or not, I guess we'll have to play more to find out.

There really is only one stat that matters (well, two for objective based games) kill ratio (can be combined with kills per minute aswell for even better measurement) for death match type games, and killratio combined with some measure of how well you do in objective type games (amount of captures or whateveR).

Sadly most devs seems to think that experience level is what matters, but experience level says nothing about how good you are, only how much spare time you have on your hands!

Most matchmaking in games go by experience level and location (for less lags), which really doesn't do anything to ensure even and balanced teams. Sure, people with high levels will tend to be on different teams, but high levels =\= skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda agree, AC1 has really nailed the character animation. I think it's the mili second pause for every landing, the weight shifting and momentum felt just right. There's just something about it.

Is it only me (this is a rhetorical question, as it's pretty clear that this is the case ;)) that is being left a little cold by this game? I've only played SP so far, and the game is beautiful looking as expected. But for the most part it feels like I'm playing Dragons Lair, interspersed by some "by numbers" shooting sections.

It could be that my expectations were too high and I was led astray by some promises of less linearity, but to me this game feels even more linear than the last. Don't get me wrong, my fave games tend to be linear, but linear as in "there's a path to follow, but with good design we will get you to go down it but let you feel as though you are making the decisions as a player."

In U2 I don't feel involved. I haven't squirmed in my chair, my pulse hasn't raised and I haven't madly twisted the controller as though it will magically get me out of a sticky situation. I've thought (many times), "woah, that looks cool," but not because of anything I've done. I feel disassociated from the avatar and never entirely in control. To me, many, many sections feel like expanded QTE's, no onscreen button highlights, but clearly designed to take me from one scripted sequence to the next..... of which, imho, there are far too many.

I know (and knew before hand) that ND are aiming for the ultimate cinematic experience. Which is maybe why I feel this U2 is the gaming equivalent of a Michael Bay movie... pretty with lots going on, but ultimately unsatisfying. It's a McGame maybe?

Is it only me (this is a rhetorical question, as it's pretty clear that this is the case ;)) that is being left a little cold by this game? I've only played SP so far, and the game is beautiful looking as expected. But for the most part it feels like I'm playing Dragons Lair, interspersed by some "by numbers" shooting sections.

It could be that my expectations were too high and I was led astray by some promises of less linearity, but to me this game feels even more linear than the last. Don't get me wrong, my fave games tend to be linear, but linear as in "there's a path to follow, but with good design we will get you to go down it but let you feel as though you are making the decisions as a player."

In U2 I don't feel involved. I haven't squirmed in my chair, my pulse hasn't raised and I haven't madly twisted the controller as though it will magically get me out of a sticky situation. I've thought (many times), "woah, that looks cool," but not because of anything I've done. I feel disassociated from the avatar and never entirely in control. To me, many, many sections feel like expanded QTE's, no onscreen button highlights, but clearly designed to take me from one scripted sequence to the next..... of which, imho, there are far too many.

I know (and knew before hand) that ND are aiming for the ultimate cinematic experience. Which is maybe why I feel this U2 is the gaming equivalent of a Michael Bay movie... pretty with lots going on, but ultimately unsatisfying. It's a McGame maybe?

Odd. Even on the train section?

Odd. Even on the train section?

To be fair (and I should have put it in the previous post) I'm only up to chapter 9 so far. Not sure when I'm expected to get to the "train section", but I ain't there yet.

And yes, it's entirely possible that my views will change as I get further into the game. One thing is for certain, I am more likely to finish U2 than not. Halo 3: ODST hasn't been started since I bought it. I've only put a couple of hours into it and have little desire to go back.

To be fair (and I should have put it in the previous post) I'm only up to chapter 9 so far. Not sure when I'm expected to get to the "train section", but I ain't there yet.

And yes, it's entirely possible that my views will change as I get further into the game. One thing is for certain, I am more likely to finish U2 than not. Halo 3: ODST hasn't been started since I bought it. I've only put a couple of hours into it and have little desire to go back.

OK, keep on going. I think early on the game is just teasing you in. I feel the balance is just about perfect...unlike say MGS4.

To be fair (and I should have put it in the previous post) I'm only up to chapter 9 so far.

Play some more. ^_^

It's 5:20am over here. I'm trying to finish the game in one sitting.

So what do people think about the animations? Is it improved upon in comparison to the prequel?

So far i haven't really noticed much of a difference, drake still warps around whenever you want to climb something, unless you position your character in the right position with relation to "where" drake can climb stuff (there are only one\few places where drake can actually climb\grab a ledge\rock, if your not close to them, drake will magically fly in position to be able to climb).

Im a little dissapointed by this as AC1 had much more fluent motion in this regard, and i kinda thought ND would improve upon the prequel in this regard, as the warping extremely obvious in the first title.

Compared to the first game ? I think I see more artifacts, like Nathan hanging onto thin air by the cliff. The outdoor scenes are rather organic/rounded for the most part.

However U2 is far far more impressive in every way.

I like the hand over hand climbing in the game, means they can hide the platforming sections better.

No more sliding in the animation, which is great. And loads more variation to everything - so many different animations. And I like the different moods to the animation (eg. Stealth) which creates different behaviour. I don't think there's a game that expresses emotion, location, context through gameplay animation as well as Uncharted 2.

I like the hand over hand climbing in the game, means they can hide the platforming sections better.

No more sliding in the animation, which is great. And loads more variation to everything - so many different animations. And I like the different moods to the animation (eg. Stealth) which creates different behaviour. I don't think there's a game that expresses emotion, location, context through gameplay animation as well as Uncharted 2.

I also like that although Drake (and a few of the others) are still incredible athletes, to put it mildly, at least now it looks (and sounds) like it's very hard. It's also way more fluent, with nice sublte hints to indicate something you may want to do is possible, and very smooth animation overall, and just a tonne of different animations in general.

Uh the sliding\warping effect is still there, but less pronounced.

I don't think it's the big slide when he first starts walking or running...it was there all the time in U1. I think it's here in U2 if you push forward slightly on the stick. I'll look closer again tonight! But I hadn't noticed.

Had a few clipping issues...got stuck in a little roof hut I climbed onto and had to restart at the last checkpoint.

I think we are thinking of different things, when i say warping\sliding i mean the issue that happends mainly whenever drake has to scale (up\down) objects.

The objects like rocks, ledges, boxes whatever, usually only have 1 location (sometimes a few more depending on the size of the objects) where Drake can climb\decent the object. Thus, if drake is not positioned exactly below\above the location, you can see drake magically flying (warping) to some designated location with relations to the object.

In the first title, this warping was very apparent no matter how big or how small the obstacles are, drake will be pulled into position by the game so that drake can mount the obstacle.

The effect is most easily seen when trying to scale rocks etc from various angles. You will notice that there in reality is only one\few angles at which drake can actually climb the rock. Thus, if you side step a little bit around the rock, changing Drakes angle to the location where drake can climb the object, you will see that drake is magically being pulled into alignment with the position that allows drake can scale the obstacle.

You also notice it very much in platforming segments where you are supposed to jump from one ledge to another, drake will get pulled into alligment mid air.

Reason why i mentioned AC1 earlier, is that in that game, you also climb lots of stuff, but i never noticed that Altair was magically being pulled to the "right" spot. It just seed fluent, smooth and natural.

Back