PS3-tech?

Of course, the irony here being that afaik both Sony and Matsushita are members of DVD Forum also

I'm suprised no one has mentioned that :LOL:

I don't think consumers are going to adopt the caddie over a caddieless format.

I *seriouly* hope that the next gen media will have a cartridge.
I have had way too many CDs crap out on me. And don't tell me I should *take care* of them; media should be throw-around-able.

Caddies are expensive, if next generation DVDs need them they will have a hard time competing against normal DVD for movies (because new compression standards will be able to put a HD movie on one just fine).

I think I'm not the only one here who'd pay the extra buck or two to buy the <i>luxuary</i> to be able to leave my discs lying around and know they'll last my lifetime. And who hasn't had DVD/CD read problems before because of a bad disc? I am sooooooo sick of it. So much for 'digital world' when you see mosaic blocks on the latest movie DVDs (rental). :(

I think I'm not the only one here who'd pay the extra buck or two to buy the <i>luxuary</i> to be able to leave my discs lying around and know they'll last my lifetime. And who hasn't had DVD/CD read problems before because of a bad disc? I am sooooooo sick of it. So much for 'digital world' when you see mosaic blocks on the latest movie DVDs (rental).

Yeah, that's what excites me the most about blu-ray... the floppy/mini-cd esque casing.... No longer will my friends used to treating CDs ultra sloppy ruin my dvds... no longer will a kid go rent GTA 5 and fuxxor the last copy... no longer will u'r kid brother scratch u'r copy of Episode III...

It's the only thing i've hated about optical media... the fragility... those disc get dust even inside my vault and within their jewel cases...

We'll finally be free people!!! I can finally buy used DVDs and games again!!!!!!! Oh the $$$$$$ i'll save!!!! It's unf#cking believable... when i first heard about this tech i knew i'd want one....

Hopefully the ps3 will also support the re-write abilities... so i can finally throw my vcr in the garbage

The present DVD format supports caddies too, nothing has changed ... I doubt caddies will be more widely used in the next round.

With the increased recording density that upcoming formats will offer caddies are an absolute neccesity IMO. Even today's optical discs are too fickle IMO. The day solid state makes a return as a viable media for mass production I will be a happy man.

cybamerc said:
With the increased recording density that upcoming formats will offer caddies are an absolute neccesity IMO. Even today's optical discs are too fickle IMO. The day solid state makes a return as a viable media for mass production I will be a happy man.

I'd prefer something like a MD disc size (size like the gamecube but with a non-removable caddy) with the capacity of a DVD-9 disc.

PC-Engine said:
That's why they made jewel cases ;)

I'd rather keep my 300+1 DVD changer thank you. 8)

Yeah, but jewel cases break VERY VERY easily.

And does your PS2/Xbox/GCN have a disc changer built-in? Didn't think so.

Tagrineth said:
PC-Engine said:
That's why they made jewel cases ;)

I'd rather keep my 300+1 DVD changer thank you. 8)

Yeah, but jewel cases break VERY VERY easily.

And does your PS2/Xbox/GCN have a disc changer built-in? Didn't think so.

Yes jewel cases break very easily, but they still protect the disc ;) I have a bunch of empty jewel cases that are cracked but I still use them because they still do their intended job. Just remember that the original CDROM format used caddies, but when the 3x, 4x, drives came out the caddie died really fast :LOL:

Regarding consoles, there's very little incentive to use Blu-ray over the next gen DVD standard..and please don't bring up that age old argument of software piracy because if Blu-ray does become the next DVD standard which I doubt, there will be Blu-ray burners etc. Capacity isn't going to be an issue anytime soon especially when the alternative next gen DVD format can hold 30 Gigs ;)

What we need is a successor to MiniDisc. Same size, same cartridges, but with 10-20 gigabytes of storage. Those 5" discs just don't belong in this millenia, with or without caddies.

AMEN.

The MD form factor is just so much better than CD/DVD. A MD sized optical media with a Floppy like file system that can write and re-write without having to format will be the best thing.

When CDs first arrived, it felt DIGITAL. I had faith in it, knowing it's true "digital". All that changed when I first the heard "click". Then the shits just came one by one. Freezing a disc just to install something, LOL.. I had to run up and down my house trying to install a badly scratched Starcraft by freezing it! (It WORKS).

Then when I hit my first virus on a CD, my faith in it just evaporated. The CD feels as digital to me as a cassette now. MDs on the other hand, feels like what CDs *felt* like. The only removable media I own which feels truely reliable now is the Memory stick.

Well you gotta love the durability of MO technology... I've been missing my GigaMO since I moved, and the lack of it here has been making me nutty. At least it's still alive and well in Japan...

MD's would be great. Might further decrease console form factors as well.

Well I do remember a couple of engineers joking about a handheld PSX using a derivative of MD as it's media (of course Memory Stick was also batted around)...

Anyway, even if Blu-Ray doens't take hold for the next DVD, it'll likely find a home in MO anyways...

I have a MO drive from Olympus. It's the portable external SYS.230 MB version that uses a 3.5" MO cartridges similar to MD. Back then I purchased it for $350 because there were no other rewritable alternatives so it made a lot of sense, but when CD-RW became available I haven't used it since because with CD-RW all CDROM and DVDROM drives could read the discs.

Back