PS3-tech?

If it wants to be backwards compatible with regulard DVDs then no as Blue-ray is not backwards compatible with regular DVDs.
Actually, it is. Even the prototype Blue Ray devices presented few months ago on some tradeshow in Japan were able to play DVD movies. I am not sure if the DVD discs had to be placed in the empty Blue Ray disc shell, however.

Anyway the DVD forum has already adopted the next generation DVD standard jointly proposed by NEC and Toshiba which is backwards compatible with all existing DVD standards.
On the actual market, where the Blue Ray is backed by dozens of the most influental companies, that means exactly diddly squat.

It was recently announced that DMC2 would be utilizing 2 DVDs, and that's for a system with 32MB system RAM and rather limited texturing capabilities.
I think they've done that for marketing reasons rather than technical. Think movie releases on 2-3 single layer discs, or how most movies opt for two discs instead of using the other side of the first disc. It gives customer more perceived 'value' :\

In DMC2 case, first disc has Dante's story, second has Lucia's story. If they wanted, I'm sure they could have used one 9GB disc instead, like Xenosaga is doing.

Thanks PC.

That article makes things seem a bit, odd. At least they are going with a higher bit rate enabling them to utilize MPEG2.

They are still planning on moving to blue laser, just not using Blue Ray. The backwards compatibility issue with BlueRay, based everything I have read, doesn't have anything to do with end users but is more based on the tools utilized for DVDs. Does anyone know if Matsushita and Sony have signed on yet? I would hope we can avoid another Beta/VHS debacle.

On the actual market, where the Blue Ray is backed by dozens of the most influental companies, that means exactly diddly squat.

Umm..the original DVD standard also had two opposing camps, but the standard that was adopted and used today was the one that Toshiba pioneered ;)

Also being backwards compatible with MILLIONS of existing DVDs isn't diddly squat.

As I said, Blye Ray IS backwards compatible and it was demonstrated, AFAIK.

Need I remind about DVD+RW/R format, which was made a standard, regardless of the fact DVD forum never supported it.

It all depends on what companies (and how many of them) back something up.

Umm..the original DVD standard also had two opposing camps, but the standard that was adopted and used today was the one that Toshiba pioneered

No it isn't. It's the current format is a compromise between Toshiba/Matsushita's proposal and the Sony/Philips proposal... I imagine any future standards will be just the same, a compromise to please all the vendors participating...

The Blu-Ray group does not recognise the DVD-Forum as having any authority in this matter or even being the right forum for standardization of next generation formats.

This will be fought out on the market, as marconelly said ... the DVD-Forum was left by the wayside for the writable DVD format too.

No it isn't. It's the current format is a compromise between Toshiba/Matsushita's proposal and the Sony/Philips proposal... I imagine any future standards will be just the same, a compromise to please all the vendors participating...

If Matsushita and Sony are backing the same standard(Blue Ray) then there really isn't any battle. If the DVD cosortium attempts to take them on they will die, particuarly given the backing that Blue Ray has. I've been looking around at available information and it appears that BluRay is a done deal for the next gen.

MfA said:
The Blu-Ray group does not recognise the DVD-Forum as having any authority in this matter or even being the right forum for standardization of next generation formats.

This will be fought out on the market, as marconelly said ... the DVD-Forum was left by the wayside for the writable DVD format too.

Thank God. I realize some of you really get off to the idea of Sony getting the shaft, but it sucks when a superior technology like Blu-Ray is past over in favor of another which is better for the manufactering industry's bottom-line.

With all due respect, I really don't see Toshiba and NEC winning in a power struggle against Hitachi, LG Electronics, Matsushita Electric Industrial, Pioneer, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp, Sony and Thomson Multimedia.

A recordable media like Blu-Ray, which can record MPEG-2 in RT could open a whole host of new opertunities if the idea of a Grid or .Net powered digital distribution fabric was implimented over broadband/advanced broadband. Download HD digital media, games, et al - provided they could get the DRM secure enough.

BenSkywalker said:
If Matsushita and Sony are backing the same standard(Blue Ray) then there really isn't any battle. If the DVD cosortium attempts to take them on they will die, particuarly given the backing that Blue Ray has. I've been looking around at available information and it appears that BluRay is a done deal for the next gen.

Ben has spoken...
worship.gif
heh.

Im not entirely sure Blu-Ray is superior, Toshiba makes a convincing arguement ... and Im wondering if Blu-Ray's thinner cover layer wont make the discs (even) more fragile.

BTW we really do not need next generation DVDs for movies. You will be able to get far better quality HD video on a standard DVD with H264 than you can put on a next generation one with MPEG-2.

MfA said:
Im wondering if Blu-Ray's thinner cover layer wont make the discs (even) more fragile.

I don't have a picture, but I'm sure Marconelly! can find one as he's a resourceful guy (and has seen what I'm talking of on GA), but the Blu-Ray disks can infact be encased in a... um.. case. I've only seen it on the 50GB dual layered disks (not the single), but appearently, the Sony press machines can read DVDs, Blu ray in and out of the shell/case/whatever.

A recordable media like Blu-Ray, which can record MPEG-2 in RT could open a whole host of new opertunities if the idea of a Grid or .Net powered digital distribution fabric was implimented over broadband/advanced broadband.

You can already do that(record MPEG2 in real time), although utilizing the higher resolution that BlueRay will allow will be very nice.

On the console front moving to BlueRay also makes a lot of sense in terms of anti piracy. Saw an ad for BB(IIRC) this week with a DVD burner for under $200. It's almost certain that by the end of next gen burners will be around in the consumer market for BlueRay, but at least it won't be available to consumers at the beginning of the life cycle. 50GBs of data sounds reasonable for next gen, although I can still see multi disk games hitting at some point.

Anyone willing to bet on which camp will win the next gen DVD standard for HD movies and DVD-ROM drives? :LOL:

It's going to come down to overall costs and cross compatibility between PCs and standalone DVD players ;)

If Matsushita and Sony are backing the same standard(Blue Ray) then there really isn't any battle. If the DVD cosortium attempts to take them on they will die, particuarly given the backing that Blue Ray has.
Of course, the irony here being that afaik both Sony and Matsushita are members of DVD Forum also :)

At any rate, the fact BluRay is now 'nonstandard' is actually another good thing going For it - wherever there is something nonstandard, M$ and IBM are sure to follow shortly... ;)

Back