PS3 Spec change possibility?

What I mean is, laypeople will figure out what the most powerful system is.

Just like they did with say, Xbox.

I dont believe a hype campaign will carry the day once the systems are out.

Last edited by a moderator:
....ps2 went from 250mhz to 300mhz. That was 20% bump in specs just like that.

no way in hell i'm gonna say sony WONT increase cell speed. I'm not dumb to that point.

in fact, judging from ps2 and psp, ps3 will have a spec increase as well. But thats just me talking.

if a 20% bump happens in cell, thats ~3900mhz just like that....

am i being to smart?... "....if the past tell us something"

Actually to tell you the truth, I think the reason the PS2 chips saw a boost was because there was some situation with Toshiba where they couldn't get the EE's in decent yields at the previously spec'd voltage/power envelope for PS2. Since they had to go ahead with it anyway, the PS2 power budget was raised, and along with it the voltage. Since they were raising it anyway, I think they just went ahead and clocked the chips higher - within comfortable bounds - and derived what benefit they could from the situation.

I think that indeed the consumers will determine for themselves which console is more powerful, I don't see spec marketing as being all that effective with the mainstream. That said though, if raising the specs were easy enough, and would get Sony that much closer to 'word of mouth' visuals indicating PS3 to be more powerful, they might as well.

Again this is not to say we'll see any spec increase. Just refering to my last posts essentially as an indicator of what they might do and why. Again, we're just discussing purely in the hypothetical here. Still if 570 is no harder essentially than 550, well might as well see 570, y'know? Conversely if 550 requires that little bit extra voltage bump over 530, well maybe we'll be at 530.

dskneo said:
....ps2 went from 250mhz to 300mhz. That was 20% bump in specs just like that.

no way in hell i'm gonna say sony WONT increase cell speed. I'm not dumb to that point.

in fact, judging from ps2 and psp, ps3 will have a spec increase as well. But thats just me talking.

if a 20% bump happens in cell, thats ~3900mhz just like that....

am i being to smart?... "....if the past tell us something"

IIRC the PSP was made to run at 333 mhz but Sony downclocked the cpu to 222 mhz to get longer battery life.

I can see a Sony "bending the truth" about the specs and at an opportune moment disclosing that they have managed to "bump up the speed for free", while they all along were targeting the new higher specs.

As a part of their marketing, of course...

I dont think there is much of a point in increasing CELL's frequency since RSX seems to be the bottleneck (if the PS3 is programmed properly with multithreading in mind).

EE saw a speed increase from 250Mhz to 300Mhz prior to release? I don't ever remember that, and I followed PS2 pretty closely before launch. And does that mean GS went from 125Mhz to 150Mhz as well?

I do know that XBox and GC both went through increase in CPU speed right before launch, but in both cases, it was because GPUs went through a clock downgrade, and CPU speeds were adjusted to compensate for the clock multiplier.

I've wondered about this for a while.

The XDR being made is 512Mbit (allowing 512MB RAM) and can clock to twice what the Cell uses. I think doubling the XDR amount, clock or both is a distinct possibility. Raising the XDR speed will raise power requirements though so that would hold them back.

Raising the speed of the Cell requires an increased voltage and more power, they could almost certainly do it but again power could be the problem.

However...
A future version of Cell with Transmeta's cooling tech is being developed, if it was ready in time it could change things.

Anyway, it could be done, will it be done is a different matter.

--

BTW on the Perception V's Reality question, I read a little while back that it's been shown that your experience of something can be altered by perception. A cheap perfume was found to smell worse than a good perfume even though the perfume being smelled was the same.

ADEX said:
BTW on the Perception V's Reality question, I read a little while back that it's been shown that your experience of something can be altered by perception. A cheap perfume was found to smell worse than a good perfume even though the perfume being smelled was the same.

First it would be wise think about wich perception is altered, if the gfx or the specs, if the gfx are equal, people may think that the spec dont matter, as well as the other side people thinking the gfz of A are better than B because specs.

I think if they can't make a US launch during the first half of 2k6, they're better of delaying in japan and upp'ing the specs, after all this gen is meant to last longer than the ps2/psone.

wasnt there a rumor a while ago out of some magazine that said some devs were pretty happy about a boost in specs? (wasnt really specific)

but ill try to find that article.

edit:
ah yes
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=122709
to be fair, the source was PSM so i guess everyone took it with a grain of salt.

heres the orginal quote from psm
#3 The Specs Aren't Set
Sony revealed some impressive PS3 tech specs at E3, but they apparently weren't set in stone. Developers have begun to tell us about actual improvements being made to the system's specifications, including more system memory and other low-level upgrades that we won't physically notice, but are making the people producing the games simply giddy.

Bill said:
What I mean is, laypeople will figure out what the most powerful system is.

Just like they did with say, Xbox.

I dont believe a hype campaign will carry the day once the systems are out.

I think laypeople can and have already, as much as is possible.

In this case, I think reality and the general perception match, by whatever degree you prefer.

Sony hasn't really maintained a concerted "hype campaign" regarding PS3 let alone its specs - it's mostly fueled itself. That perception I think is borne out of general analysis and what is being said by devs, not really from anything Sony is saying (or not saying, as the case actually is).

I think PS3 has a better chance at being more powerful.

But it's not set in stone.

I remain unconvinced that cell is any better at running games than Xcpu, if even as good.

The GPU edge appears to go to Sony, but they may be hindered by bandwidth.

I will wait for games.

And devs? I've not heard one dev on record as PS3 being more powerful. Not one.

Except Carmack.

If Sony is more powerful, it will only be because of the EDRAM mistake.

Bill said:
I think PS3 has a better chance at being more powerful.

But it's not set in stone.

I remain unconvinced that cell is any better at running games than Xcpu, if even as good.

The GPU edge appears to go to Sony, but they may be hindered by bandwidth.

I will wait for games.

And devs? I've not heard one dev on record as PS3 being more powerful. Not one.

Except Carmack.

If Sony is more powerful, it will only be because of the EDRAM mistake.
Heh?

Ok, I repeat, if you're going to post something in this thread... Don't post generalities and/or hunchs based on nothing. And more importantly, keep on topic, the X360's daddy VS PS3's Daddy: Who's the Stronger contest still does not belong here.;)

Shogmaster said:
EE saw a speed increase from 250Mhz to 300Mhz prior to release? I don't ever remember that, and I followed PS2 pretty closely before launch. And does that mean GS went from 125Mhz to 150Mhz as well?
Yep, that's correct, both the EE and the GS had a significant speed bump after the initial spec release (Not sure about how much the GS clock was bumped, though).

Ken was talking about the PS3 on tv this morning when I woke up :LOL:

I didn't catch the whole thing, and more importantly what he was saying, but I did manage to catch a couple of snaps of the tv with my phone.

051112107vf.jpg

051112122vd.jpg

He must have been talking about the specs as he was rotating the system round, showing all the inputs and what not. It was inside Sony's Japanese HQ. It'd be nice if got a boost in the specs. :D

This Post Was Built From The Ground Up!!!!

what about the possibility of the GDDR being replaced with XDR?

HappyBread said:

I didn't catch the whole thing, and more importantly what he was saying, but I did manage to catch a couple of snaps of the tv with my phone.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/9240/051112107vf.jpg
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/176/051112122vd.jpg

He must have been talking about the specs as he was rotating the system round, showing all the inputs and what not. It was inside Sony's Japanese HQ. It'd be nice if got a boost in the specs. :D

Nice. I hope the final units we get have that finish. The shots from E3 made the silver version look very matte, but these look nice and shiny like the black version.

Also, that room looks suitably "plotting to take over the world"-ish :p

Pity you didn't catch the whole thing! :(

Vysez said:
Yep, that's correct, both the EE and the GS had a significant speed bump after the initial spec release (Not sure about how much the GS clock was bumped, though).

Same percentage - most of the machine is clocked at the bus-speed of ~150, which was upped from 125 (IIRC). The CPU cores (MIPS + VU) run at double that but most of the perihperal logic doesn't, even on the EE itself. The IOP runs at 1/4. I believe the ram is the only thing completely independant of the clocking.

HappyBread said:

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/9240/051112107vf.jpg
http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/176/051112122vd.jpg

Damnit. I wish you could have caught the show. Did you hear anything that he was talking about? See that's the divide that we have hear in America and even in Europe. When things happen in Japan we English dwellers don't even know about it. And if we do we can get a true translation.:cry:

Well sometimes when one finds things, but he is not Superman. Not yet anyway. One if you find some RSX info I will give you 1 millllllion dollars.:devilish:

Back