[PS3] Singstar

Yes, at first I was also thinking about the overseas Asian crowd and the digital generation. I wonder if Sony is open to releasing Top 10 Asian hits in SingStore just to test market. Most Asians I know understand English, and they seem to have a natural talent/affinity to Karaoke. :) The current US or UK SingStar should work.

EDIT: http://www.edge-online.com/news/sonys-social-success:

Its most successful social franchise is SingStar, which has sold over 17 million discs sold and has a microphone install base of 7 million. The SingStore sells one track every 10 seconds, and players have uploaded 135,000 performances to the SingStar network.

It seems that the PS2 SingStar disc swap feature will be available/improved soon:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=SingStar&thread.id=347
(The post is for Australia and NZ region)

If accurate, this means we will have a much larger song library. The released PS2 discs are:

... for multiple countries/languages.

Do we know when? Because I tired this last night - patched up to 2.40 and I still could not use a PAL Singstar disk with my JP PS3 (via PAL Singstar and SS:ABBA). All I want is the 80s disk to work...TBH I'd be happy if I could buy all the songs but you can only get a few.

Looking forward to the wireless mics and Queen disk tho :)

The PS2 disc and the console need to be in the same region.

Apparently not anymore, per the latest update. I don't have any non-EU region discs to test it with though ... but apparently just about any PS2 disc now works and works with all PS3 Singstars including ABBA.

This is very interesting as the reason against is licensing. to be true, Sony would have had to secured complete international rights to all Singstar content. Very good if true!

Apparently not anymore, per the latest update. I don't have any non-EU region discs to test it with though ... but apparently just about any PS2 disc now works and works with all PS3 Singstars including ABBA.

Well again, I will say - this is not the case:

PAL PS3 Singstar & PS3 SS:ABBA tested with PAL PS2 SS:Rocks on JP NTSC PS3 and I get the message 'not a Singstar disk'.

Ah, I've just read a clarification on neogaf:

"PS2 discs can now be played if their region doesn't match the region of the PS3 disc"

However, the console region still needs to be matched, so it's a relatively moot point. Shame though.

Ah, I've just read a clarification on neogaf:

"PS2 discs can now be played if their region doesn't match the region of the PS3 disc"

However, the console region still needs to be matched, so it's a relatively moot point. Shame though.

yup - be nice if you could buy the tracks tho - how long can it take to do!?

I think Singstar is great but it has some 'problems' which seem purposely implemented. Things like inability to buy all 'pack' tracks individually - I've spent £4.49 on 3 tracks I like :(

Then I've bought 2 Queen songs individually (and nearly bought a track pack which had one of those songs on) only for Sony to bring out SS:Queen (which includes 2 of the songs I already own) and I won't be able to buy the tracks individually that I would want.

Sorry to bleat on, but having invested a lot of money into Singstar I feel have a right! I think Sony should give an option to buy in bulk (at a slightly reduced rate - even first 10@£1 next @ 90p would be nice) and make all songs available individually (as well as making all the PS2 songs available) - then they should release a SS:Madness and SS:Rocky Horror Picture Show and give me a job that pays lots of money.

Sorry to bleat on, but having invested a lot of money into Singstar I feel have a right! I think Sony should give an option to buy in bulk (at a slightly reduced rate - even first 10@£1 next @ 90p would be nice) and make all songs available individually (as well as making all the PS2 songs available) - then they should release a SS:Madness and SS:Rocky Horror Picture Show and give me a job that pays lots of money.
It would be cheaper for them to give you the job first and then you won't complain about the pricing of content and they won't need to go to the effort of changing it :p

These prices may be tied to the margin and how the publishers want their songs to be sold too (song packs). Don't think Sony has total control. We have all heard stories about the fights between Steve Jobs and the music execs over variable pricing and bulk sales.

It would be cheaper for them to give you the job first and then you won't complain about the pricing of content and they won't need to go to the effort of changing it :p

Indeed, so simple and (relatively) cheap to do - you have thought I'd have an email already *goes off to check* - nope - no email...I've been waiting for the call since big Phil parted company...

My wife saw Sing Star v2 PS3 for $40 and was thinking of getting it for our daughter. The problem is she doesn't really know any music, so is the Ps2 disc swap thing I remember hearing about out? Does it work well? I thought I could get the Ps2 Disney disk and thought would be good for her.

As long as the PS2 Disney Disc is the same region as the PS3 is, then yes, it works.

I'm sure such song-packs and releases will be appearing in the U.S. soon enough, but in the mean-time, I think kids are fairly flexible when it comes to learning new songs. ;) It's just a matter of being smart about picking songs to offer to them I think.

A big thing about SingStar is looking at all the user videos people uploaded, and they are chock-full of extremely cute little kids singing along to just about anything. You could definitely take a cue from that ( and I'm sure your daughter should get a kick out of watching those videos as well ... )

So my wife just picked up Sing star Vol 1, its cheaper than vol 2. Is it "worse" is any way? Feature, songs, etc? I assume you can then add disc only version of the other karaoke game later.

I bought Vol 1 and ABBA. I believe the feature list is the same. The only difference is the song selection.

Back