[PS3] Singstar

Number of songs up for download is already close to 500 (488 I believe) now, so things are moving along nicely.
Has the library diversified much, or is it still following the same lines? Obviously SingStar ABBA and Disney are pushing the boundaries, but is there any more expansion going on?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/12/02/singstar-updates/

We’ve been listening to your feedback over the last few months and wanted to let you know that we will be adding 60+ songs to the North American SingStore over the next few months. We’ll be sure to keep you all posted as we begin rolling out new songs to the SingStore. In the meantime, here’s a highlight of songs to appear in the coming weeks:

* UB40 – ‘Red Red Wine’
* Billy Joel – ‘We Didn’t Start the Fire’
* Chumbawamba- ‘Tubthumping’
* David Bowie- ‘Let’s Dance’
* Pink – ‘Get the Party Started’
* Queen- ‘The Show Must Go On’
* New Order- ‘Blue Monday 88′
* Men at Work - ‘Down Under’
* Starship - ‘We Built This City’

Has the library diversified much, or is it still following the same lines? Obviously SingStar ABBA and Disney are pushing the boundaries, but is there any more expansion going on?

I wouldn't be able to tell you to be honest, I haven't been tracking diversity. Obviously the disc-based ones are expanding the range, but the dlc isn't nearly as much I think. But there's more and more stuff I and my wife like with every batch that is added, obviously.

I finally got SingStar ABBA when I went out to get The Dark Knight today.

Had to work overtime in the office. So I simply crank up the volume and play the album out loud. Am in ABBA wonderland (Brings back so much memories). Somebody help me get some booze.

Good news but I do hope it's 'region free' :|

On another note, as much as I love Singstar I hate the way you're 'forced' to purchase 5 songs with minimal financial advantage and no way of chosing the songs (i.e. swap out 1 or 2). I wanted some xmas songs and had to d/l one of the packs £4.49 - a saving of 46p (or whatever it is) but I only like 2 or 3 of the songs :(

It's the same with releasing the disks, I'd like to buy specific titles and have them on my HDD rather than buy a whole disk that I have to swap out.

Finally (last whinge I promise!) I'd like the option to catagorise the songs...for example, if I want to chill I - I'd like to just have 'chilling' songs (etc) - also it would mean I could put all the songs I don't like into a group...or indeed my kids could have their own groups...it's just frustrating, I have near 100 songs now and when you're flicking through you can begin to get dizzy!

Good news but I do hope it's 'region free' :|

On another note, as much as I love Singstar I hate the way you're 'forced' to purchase 5 songs with minimal financial advantage and no way of chosing the songs (i.e. swap out 1 or 2). I wanted some xmas songs and had to d/l one of the packs £4.49 - a saving of 46p (or whatever it is) but I only like 2 or 3 of the songs :(

It's the same with releasing the disks, I'd like to buy specific titles and have them on my HDD rather than buy a whole disk that I have to swap out.

Finally (last whinge I promise!) I'd like the option to catagorise the songs...for example, if I want to chill I - I'd like to just have 'chilling' songs (etc) - also it would mean I could put all the songs I don't like into a group...or indeed my kids could have their own groups...it's just frustrating, I have near 100 songs now and when you're flicking through you can begin to get dizzy!

You can change the selection method to a list though, can't you? (not sure but I thought so)

Also, I was fairly sure I saw at least some of those Christmas songs as individual tracks also? Maybe I'm mistaken?

As far as the discs go, that's never going to happen - all the exclusive songs on those discs are exclusive on disc and don't have a licence for the SingStore (sometimes not yet, sometimes they won't ever - try to upload a video of you singing Smooth Operator on Sing Star volume 1 and you'll see that due to licencing issues that's no longer possible).

This is similar to how Rockband had the issues with putting the Rockband 1 tracks on the HDD to be available in Rockband 2 - you have to pay an additional 5 bucks and agree to some new terms to use the feature. The only thing we can hope for is that SingStar will eventually support something similar for their discs, but I'm not holding my breath just yet. Instead, I'm for now sticking to buying stuff on the PSN and ignoring the disc releases. If I was an ABBA fan though that would be pretty difficult. ;)

Yes, we've bought ABBA for our daughter...it's very frustrating, but then it was only £18 for loads of good songs! The xmas songs are in packs only...but that's another point, I've d/l a song that's already in a pack (think it's a Queen one) - so I'll be paying £4.49 for a couple of songs I like and 1 I already have!

AFAIK you can only switch between songs and artists - this is a pain as when we flick through we tend to listen to a couple of seconds of the song before selecting (or moving on) so switching to artists will not work for us...it really can't be that hard to implement - imagine in a couple of years, I could have 300 songs downloaded!

I'd also like to see a few songs from Girls Aloud, Pink, Madness and Oasis (to name a few) they tend to have a few from one artist I've never heard of and then none (or a poor choice) from some of the bigger artists, I don't mind if I have to pay a little more...it'd be great to be able to d/l chart songs, even if they were premium price or limited time only.

Arwin said:
PS3 disc swapping is region free, but PS2 is extremely unlikely. We'll see, but it would basically require different licencing and I doubt it will happen. But who knows.

It seems that the PS2 SingStar disc swap feature will be available/improved soon:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=SingStar&thread.id=347
(The post is for Australia and NZ region)

Hi all,

Further to feedback about some issues with the disc swapping feature in SingStar on PS3, the SingStar Team have today released version 2.40 of the game. The fixes included in this update are:

You can now quit the game when using a PS2 disc.
You can now quit the game when using the SingStar ABBA disc, when an ABBA wallpaper is selected, and a disc swap is done.
The PS2 disc swap now works with PS2 SingStar 80s Sweden and Benelux
PS2 discs can now be played if their region doesn't match the region of the PS3 disc and the region of the console.

If accurate, this means we will have a much larger song library. The released PS2 discs are:
* SingStar™ Rocks
* SingStar™ Anthems
* SingStar™ Legends
* SingStar™ PopHits
* SingStar™ 90s
* SingStar™ R&B
* SingStar™ Rock Ballads

... for multiple countries/languages.

I feel that Sony should have a team working on making sure that every single song in released in the Singstar franchise is available in Singstore. Anything less is a compromise.

This was discussed briefly on GAF before. I think Sony is working towards the SingStore model. The process takes time.

Meanwhile, the disc-based songs are already done and also easier to deal with (legally). I don't mind getting them. Heck, we are singing off YouTube videos on the PS3 right now.

The only region where it's been around for a long time is Europe. It was only recently released in the U.S. last year? (much to Phil Harrison's chagrin, remember?). I'm not sure if any SingStar has even released in Japan? (don't think so)

How much does it cost to go to one ? I know of friends in Asia who have Karaoke machines at home. They'd practise at home and show off in the KTVs with friends. Limited song selection is a problem though.

Does it mean that we will never get to see Asian songs in SingStar ?

Its much cheaper to go out for karaoke marathons in Japan and it makes more sense to do so because at the rate Singstar is updating, everything will be out of date.

Ouch, that sucks. In other parts of Asia, going to Karaoke boxes can be expensive (At least US$30 per visit). I think the other problem is cheap Karaoke players with cheap/pirated Karaoke VCDs. Perhaps I'll never see an Asian SingStar.

I personally think they should release SingStar, because it's still something special and unlike most karaoke boxes it has all these features for measuring your performance (at least I presume ...). Add in the EyeToy stuff and I really don't see why it couldn't work in Japan/Asia.

Back