PS3 sales

For all the naysaying and doomsday predictions on PS3, the machine is selling roughly at a 1 to 2.3 ratio with the Wii which supposedly came out with much better supply, roughly half the cost, and has launched worldwide.

For all the naysaying and doomsday predictions on PS3, the machine is selling roughly at a 1 to 2.3 ratio with the Wii which supposedly came out with much better supply, roughly half the cost, and has launched worldwide.

It was always expected that all supply would sell out for a while. And it's xmas now, so that helps. As i said on another thread, it will be interesting to see how long Sony can push it at that price for, before people start seeing PS3's sitting on shelves.

It was always expected that all supply would sell out for a while. And it's xmas now, so that helps. As i said on another thread, it will be interesting to see how long Sony can push it at that price for, before people start seeing PS3's sitting on shelves.

I think it will be like this until after Europe launch, and hopefully not much longer aftewards. I hope to have no troubles getting one when summer vacation comes...:cry:

More pertinent is how it's selling compared to the X360 last year, considering the implications for the US and EU markets and Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD.

People have been saying that the Blu-Ray drive may have irreparably harmed PS3's competitive position versus the X360, especially in the US market. They were saying this only a couple of weeks after the US launch.

Will they say it after the NPD numbers are reported after the end of the year?

More pertinent is how it's selling compared to the X360 last year, considering the implications for the US and EU markets and Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD.

People have been saying that the Blu-Ray drive may have irreparably harmed PS3's competitive position versus the X360, especially in the US market. They were saying this only a couple of weeks after the US launch.

Such a comparison will only outline the respective companies' manufacturing capabilities, since the first few months were totally under the strain of supply problems for MS, and the same will hold true for Sony.

I think it will be like this until after Europe launch, and hopefully not much longer aftewards. I hope to have no troubles getting one when summer vacation comes...:cry:

If PS3 gets decent traction, it would be an ambiguous development for consumers. One the one hand, robust consumer spending, even while the US economy is slowing. BUt on the other hand, the market precedent for higher console prices would be set.

PS2 sold 10 million in the first year, is what I heard. If PS3 is able to match that at double the nominal price (obviously $300 back in 1999 and 2000 is worth quite a bit more now), it would mean console buyers have been conditioned to a much higher price point.

Since all systems were basically supply constrained during their initial launches in the US, I would find it hard to extrapolate anything of value from these launches except maybe production capabilities at the time of launch.

Sony will have to do the complete opposite to PSP with PS3. They finally got the hardware. Now they need to pile on the marketting, services, and upgrades to the OS to make it appeal t the masses. PSP was sold pretty much on the hardware only, and it's amazing it's done as well as it has! They have to stop worrying about the fancy electronics now, and build a full, rounded product, and sell that. Don't tell people have intelligent it is, or how powerful the graphics are. Tell people how useful a product it is, and how it fits into their executive 21st century lifestyle (or the lifestyle they wish they had and hope PS3 will take them a step towards!)

Media Create Hardware Sales 11-17 Dec

1. Nintendo DS Lite - 319.708
2. Wii - 108.237
3. PlayStation 3 - 70.942
4. PlayStation Portable - 48.962
5. PlayStation 2 - 37.730
6. Xbox 360 - 17.168
7. Game Boy Advance SP - 1.867
8. Game Boy Micro - 1.491
9. GameCube - 1.152
10. Nintendo DS - 158
11. Game Boy Advance - 42
12. Xbox - 3

Just a note for the unaware, thats Japan sales only which is the only thing media create tracks.

I'm thinking it's closer to reality, but ALL of these "sales numbers" are just estimates of estimates of incomplete, extrapolated data.
nothing to base conclusions on. That's why they all vary.
Though the numbers vary, the ratio of consoles ought to be the same if they're getting data from the same sources.

Sony will have to do the complete opposite to PSP with PS3. They finally got the hardware. Now they need to pile on the marketting, services, and upgrades to the OS to make it appeal t the masses. PSP was sold pretty much on the hardware only, and it's amazing it's done as well as it has! They have to stop worrying about the fancy electronics now, and build a full, rounded product, and sell that. Don't tell people have intelligent it is, or how powerful the graphics are. Tell people how useful a product it is, and how it fits into their executive 21st century lifestyle (or the lifestyle they wish they had and hope PS3 will take them a step towards!)

You are 100,000% right. I couldn't have put it in better words.

Though the numbers vary, the ratio of consoles ought to be the same if they're getting data from the same sources.

it depends on who is doing the extrapolating.

since the info that they all are getting is incomplete whoever accumulates and extrapolates can come up with a different interpretation. the numbers even include calculations based on the company's shipped estimates as well as some retail reports and are calculated form there.

My point is these numbers are not REAL sales. for example, the VGchart numbers saying 1 mil for sony may be based on Sony's shipped numbers which may or may not be on the shelf yet. As we know none of the companies use "shipped" in the same way.

So again I say... these numbers could be off by as much as 30%. (See what I did there, i did my own extrapolating to pick a number that sounded to me like a good estimate).

Not to mention nobody has solid sales numbers for Europe afaict.

that was my point. ;)

it depends on who is doing the extrapolating.

since the info that they all are getting is incomplete whoever accumulates and extrapolates can come up with a different interpretation. the numbers even include calculations based on the company's shipped estimates as well as some retail reports and are calculated form there.

My point is these numbers are not REAL sales. for example, the VGchart numbers saying 1 mil for sony may be based on Sony's shipped numbers which may or may not be on the shelf yet. As we know none of the companies use "shipped" in the same way.

So again I say... these numbers could be off by as much as 30%. (See what I did there, i did my own extrapolating to pick a number that sounded to me like a good estimate).

Not to mention nobody has solid sales numbers for Europe afaict.

that was my point. ;)

Media Crate number's are pretty much correct as you are going to get. Just like NPD. Everybody respects that MC and NPD is the closest that we are going to get to the realest numbers possible.

Media Crate number's are pretty much correct as you are going to get. Just like NPD. Everybody respects that MC and NPD is the closest that we are going to get to the realest numbers possible.

I hear what you're saying but....

just because everybody respects them does not mean that they are accurate.

from VGcharts regarding their Japanese sources
The Japanese Weekly Charts

There are three tracking companies in Japan which produce weekly sales charts based on polling a proportion of total retailers and extrapolating their data up to represent the data for the whole country: Media Create
again, anyone using these numbers as facts (gaming forum fodder) are misleading themselves and others.

I think "trending" is the only way to look at all of these numbers, not actual sales.

I hear what you're saying but....

just because everybody respects them does not mean that they are accurate.

from VGcharts regarding their Japanese sources

again, anyone using these numbers as facts (gaming forum fodder) are misleading themselves and others.

I think "trending" is the only way to look at all of these numbers, not actual sales.

Again these are sales. You are making it sound like M-Create are purely guessing. We've never ever known exact sales down to the last 1 unit.

It's always been like this. Why the change of heart?

Back