[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 *spoilers*

I do have to agree about the petrol bomb there vanquish...that was the most weaksauce thing I have seen in a game lol

If I recall correctly, the petrol bomb is one of the lowest rated nades in MGS4. It's supposed to be a home-made militia weapon right ? If you want more bang (and more particle effects or gameplay effects), buy the better ones from the black dude.

I just did a quick google. You get to choose from Petrol Bomb, Grenade, Smoke Grenade, Emotion Smoke Grenades(unlockable), Stun Grenade, Chaff Grenade, Claymore, C4, Sleep Gas Mine, and Sleep Gas Satchel. There are also rocket propelled ones and assorted launchers. All in all, you get about 70 weapons in MGS4. I remember I experimented with quite a few of them (including the Solar Gun).

Not sure which of these are available in the demo.

EDIT: BTW, explosives are a little annoying in MGS. They will knock you off your feet when detonated nearby, and your ears will be ringing.

EDIT 2: Now that you reminded me. Besides weapons, you also get to choose weapon accessories and ammo types. e.g., Shotgun can be loaded with slug, V.Ring or buckshot. Non-lethal ammunition like V.Ring helps to earn zero-kill medal if you want to go for it.

If I recall correctly, the petrol bomb is one of the lowest rated nades in MGS4. It's supposed to be a home-made militia weapon right ? If you want more bang (and more particle effects or gameplay effects), buy the better ones from the black dude.

I just did a quick google. You get to choose from Petrol Bomb, Grenade, Smoke Grenade, Emotion Smoke Grenades(unlockable), Stun Grenade, Chaff Grenade, Claymore, C4, Sleep Gas Mine, and Sleep Gas Satchel. There are also rocket propelled ones and assorted launchers. All in all, you get about 70 weapons in MGS4. I remember I experimented with quite a few of them (including the Solar Gun).

Not sure which of these are available in the demo.

EDIT: BTW, explosives are a little annoying in MGS. They will knock you off your feet when detonated nearby, and your ears will be ringing.

EDIT 2: Now that you reminded me. Besides weapons, you also get to choose weapon accessories and ammo types. e.g., Shotgun can be loaded with slug, V.Ring or buckshot. Non-lethal ammunition like V.Ring helps to earn zero-kill medal if you want to go for it.

The weapon freedom in MGS4 is quite incredible.

What really amazed me graphically in MGS4's explosions and generally dust and smoke effects is how the shadows are projected on the particles as well. Very realistic and visually impressive, don't recall seeing this effect untill MGS4 nor since.

What really amazed me graphically in MGS4's explosions and generally dust and smoke effects is how the shadows are projected on the particles as well. Very realistic and visually impressive, don't recall seeing this effect untill MGS4 nor since.

I think there are some other console games having this. Not sure if FC2 had it to. Eitherway it adds a nice touch to the effects wit hfine detail sahdows being projected on the smoke effects.

Yeah the weapons are truly incredibly detailed. I have my M4 kitted out with a scope, laser pointer and can swap between the XM40 (cant recall the name so if I am wrong I apologize) nade launcher. I have not used any of the other claymores or anything yet. But I probably will replay the game after beating it just so I can get to use more weapons :)

Amen. The weapon attachments and accessories are detailed and comprehensive, true to Kojima's style.

Yeah and provides for a lot of replayability too. The first time through my fav weapon was my customised M4, but in my second playthrough it was my customised P9 !

I know this isn't the best threat to start this, but after reading this thread a bit last week, I finally decided to start playing MGS3: Snake-Eater again.

And boy is it good. I had already completed it back when it launched on the PS2 and was already at the time convinced it to be one of the best, if not best game, on that console. Huge production values and the story and the style is just great.

After having played around 4 hours last night, I have to say I find it much better than MGS4. It's not that MGS4 is bad, I just rather prefered the setting in Snake-Eater better. One man alone and naked in enemy territory. The codec dialoges are great and something I found missing in MGS4.

This is not to take away from what a great achievement MGS4 is - not at all - but I would seriously love to have a Snake-Eater (or a sequel to that game) on PS3. The controls for one are really dated, but then again, it is a PS2 game after all...

I know this isn't the best threat to start this, but after reading this thread a bit last week, I finally decided to start playing MGS3: Snake-Eater again.

And boy is it good. I had already completed it back when it launched on the PS2 and was already at the time convinced it to be one of the best, if not best game, on that console. Huge production values and the story and the style is just great.

After having played around 4 hours last night, I have to say I find it much better than MGS4. It's not that MGS4 is bad, I just rather prefered the setting in Snake-Eater better. One man alone and naked in enemy territory. The codec dialoges are great and something I found missing in MGS4.

This is not to take away from what a great achievement MGS4 is - not at all - but I would seriously love to have a Snake-Eater (or a sequel to that game) on PS3. The controls for one are really dated, but then again, it is a PS2 game after all...

I'm agree mgs 3 is really better. I think the real problem of mgs 4 is the final part: after the second act the gameplay decrease terrible excluse fourth act . If the 'rhythm' has been costant the game would be perfect.

I played MGS3 a little before MGS4, and looking back it might've been the best game I played in 2008. It has issues, and if you hate MGS you'll still hate it. One thing the game convinces me of is that Kojipro can actually make a game with a great (if pulpy) story when they're not weighed down by all the MGS mythos.

MGS4 felt great as an end to it all, but , as I mentioned earlier, MGS3 is still the best as a standalone game :cool: ! Second comes MGS2 and then MGS4 ! I haven't played MGS 1, so can't comment ....

I think they simplified the game too much for the western audiences !
I liked the little nuances in the controls of the earlier MGS, like press L2+R2 for standing on tip toes. and a lot more hide and seek !

MGS4 felt great as an end to it all, but , as I mentioned earlier, MGS3 is still the best as a standalone game :cool: ! Second comes MGS2 and then MGS4 ! I haven't played MGS 1, so can't comment ....

You've played MGS4 but you haven't played MGS1? That has to be at least a bit false, doesn't it? ;)

MGS3 was great and all, but it doesn't show Kojima's ingenuity much. It's a conventionaly game with above avarage story.
MGS4 on the other hand, is epic on many fronts. It is gameplaywise, too, best MGS by far, for those of us who don't really enjoy the hurdles of traditional stealth games.

MGS3 certainly has it's unique charm. It is definitelly my second favourite after MGS4.
While i like the closure and maturity in storytelling & cinematography that Kojima achieved in 4, everytime i pop in MGS3 in my PS2, the unique thrills that make it such an amazing ride leave me breathless.

These are timeless games, 10 years from now i bet they'll be just as poignant.

I avoided MGS 2 and 3 because I think they would take too much of my time.

What sort of unique trills are you talking about ? ^_^

MGS3 was great and all, but it doesn't show Kojima's ingenuity much. It's a conventionaly game with above avarage story.
MGS4 on the other hand, is epic on many fronts. It is gameplaywise, too, best MGS by far, for those of us who don't really enjoy the hurdles of traditional stealth games.

MGS3 had better bosses, I felt. The End is, of course, the stand-out in every way. I'm referring to Subsistence, naturally, with the better camera. I can't imagine how painful it must be to play with a fixed camera.

I avoided MGS 2 and 3 because I think they would take too much of my time.

What sort of unique trills are you talking about ? ^_^

I'm not sure if there'd be that many unique sequences if you played MGS4. In fact, I suspect a lot of MGS3 is ruined if you play MGS4 first, partly because of all the fanservice in MGS4 referencing 3, and
the way they turned your entire backup staff into the Patriots

Yeah, basically 4 ties together all the characters and plot devices in 3 and 2, but even if you played 4 first and you already know the outcome of the story, 3 can be enjoyed as it fleshes out the characters of Ocelot, Big Boss, Eva and The Boss and you have a much deeper understanding of their relatioships, motivations and ultimatelly their actions in number 4.

Just as true is that lot of key scenes in 4 mean little to a player that hasn't played 3, but make you feel very moved and immensly nostalgic if you did.

Yeah, basically 4 ties together all the characters and plot devices in 3 and 2, but even if you played 4 first and you already know the outcome of the story, 3 can be enjoyed as it fleshes out the characters of Ocelot, Big Boss, Eva and The Boss and you have a much deeper understanding of their relatioships, motivations and ultimatelly their actions in number 4.

Just as true is that lot of key scenes in 4 mean little to a player that hasn't played 3, but make you feel very moved and immensly nostalgic if you did.

I think that playing them it order would be better. For instance,
a huge part of the reveal in Act 3 revolves around knowing what happened to The Boss. And if you play MGS3 you know just how awesome she was, and all that exposition actually makes sense. If you don't, I feel you're left just with knowledge that everyone's doing it in the memory of Big Boss' mentor.

Back