[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 *spoilers*

Hmm... all PS3 games get scrutinized (from the rubber ducky game to GTA4 and MGS4).

Perhaps you are thinking of the stylized presentation in Japanese games (like Valkyria, DMC, MGS4, Ninja Gaiden, DOA, ICO, SoTC) ? They all look beautiful "as is". In similar vein, Bioshock is full of chunky character models, but few people cared.

Every game has its ugly side. I believe as long as a game is convincing and immersive enough, people will let minor flaws slide (or they may not notice them).

There is no need to resort to nationality or "fanboy" argument for comparing games. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

They all look beautiful "as is". In similar vein, Bioshock is full of chunky character models, but few people cared.

Every game has its ugly side. I believe as long as a game is convincing and immersive enough, people will let minor flaws slide (or they may not notice them).

There is no need to resort to nationality or "fanboy" argument for comparing games. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
But not every game got ''best technical graphics of 2008''with ps2 res textures and non destructable background ,lack of normal maps,sub HD res etc

Last edited by a moderator:
What is so good about the textures? they're the weak point of the games graphics. And they're the reason that your 'overall presentation' argument falls flat, the game juxtaposes excellent character models with subpar textures, its jarring rather than a "perfect combination of everything" as you suggest.
"
The FPS also drops quite often during intense scenarios, and it only runs at 30 fps not 60, so I don't see why it should be singled out for praise.

And the resolution isn't 720p and it doesn't use proper antialiasing, unlike Uncharted.

If the in game graphics were as stellar as all the hype suggested I would have bought the game, just as a PS3 showcase.

Your overall opinion just falls flat because you only played the demo.

Games are not all about graphics but MSG4 engine runs well imo. I play [insert game here] all the time....now that engine has issues.

My negatives about MGS4 is that I wish the gameplay segments were longer, shadows and the online is not fun. The textures are not the best but definitely not the worst Ive seen(COD4 comes into mind). This is one of the only games I played where I felt it was worth the $60. Me and my son played it this weekend and the game looks good...really good imo.

I am not Japanese(You shouldn't have made that comment) and I like MGS4's graphics.
Mainly because everything blends together very well.The BG textures are low res but with the detailed characters, and the wind-smoke-dust together the visual looks very good. There have been a lot of instances when I thought this place looks great and took a screenshot of the area only to realise later that it looks like shit. But, at that moment, in motion, everything comes together really well.

Uncharted looks better than every "great looking" game out there, but it does not have the atmosphere of MGS4.
It's like Crysis has extremely good graphics but still S.T.A.L.K.E.R has better atmosphere.

But not every game got ''best technical graphics of 2008''with ps2 res textures and non destructable background ,lack of normal maps,sub HD res etc

Gamespot may have been impressed with what was accomplished with what the developers were working with over what they didn't.

It's their opinion on the matter. Life will go on.

Your overall opinion just falls flat because you only played the demo.

Games are not all about graphics but MSG4 engine runs well imo. I play [insert game here] all the time....now that engine has issues.

My negatives about MGS4 is that I wish the gameplay segments were longer, shadows and the online is not fun. The textures are not the best but definitely not the worst Ive seen(COD4 comes into mind). This is one of the only games I played where I felt it was worth the $60. Me and my son played it this weekend and the game looks good...really good imo.

You know I did a playthrough of COD4's Charlie Don't Surf level right after playing the MGS4 demo. Both have similar environments, and COD4 comes out on top, particle effects (grenades,fire and smoke) are still hugely impressive and environments have great detail, I do not know how you can say that COD4 has the worst textures you have seen, they are clearly higher res than those in the MGS4 demo, comparing like for like environments as well, and COD4 runs at 60 fps mostly, twice as much as MGS4.

926596_20070920_screen029.jpg

Look at that image and tell me you don't find the gulf of difference between the models and the environments (esp. textures) jarring.

PS: And I only called the person who had his location as Tokyo Japanese, not all MGS4 fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
MGS4 is meant to be experienced in motion, not paused and zoomed in on the textures really. What's next, pixel counting ? (lol just kidding, but you get the ideea ^_^)
The game's graphical acomplishemnts extend way beyond simply textures or explosions. It is all about how the game manages to portray realistic emotions, reactions and create contexts through the unparalleled quality of the cinematography and the art direction. As giantbomb editors very well put it, the level of character interactivity MGS4 shows is taken for granted in films, but for a video game, it shows a level of visual subtlety that is unprecedented.

No really, if all you care about in a video game are textures and explosions, i STRONGLY suggest looking somewhere else, try Crysis if you haven't already, but stay away from MGS4 'cose it's not what the game is all about, not even close.

So now any non fan approved comment, thought or opinion is to be locked down?

People are just giving alternate explanations or counter examples to point out your observation may not be universal.

By definition, that would be impossible. And only Gamespot gave the award to MGS4 right ? How does that generalize to all Japanese games getting free pass in general ?

If you look into Ostepop's post history, you'll see him give compliment to GT5P, but that doesn't mean he's a fanboy, a Japanese or always give Japanese games free passes. He just happens to like the visual of that game.

At this point, it's safe to say MGS4 has won a lot of friends with its visuals. There may be short falls (How many games have destructible background ?) but the final result is stunning for many folks.

vanquish said:
Look at that image and tell me you don't find the gulf of difference between the models and the environments (esp. textures) jarring.

I honestly don't. In fact, I think it looks great. During gameplay, all my attention is focused on the enemies and finding the exit. It's not difficult to miss whatever background details you tried to pin-point.

There are other presentation format and style in MGS4. You might want to experience the game if you're really keen to critic it. However at this point, I am not sure if it's a worthwhile exercise since you have already spoiled yourself by watching (I assume many ?) MGS4 gameplay videos.

I have never played the MGS series and 4 is my first foray into the world and I must say the game is definitely awesome whether its the story, or the cinematic cut scenes, voice acting, dialogue etc. Graphically its a great looking game and its up there with some of the visual greats. I think considering how the PS3 is supposed to be very hard to write for, its an astounding achievement. That siad I was very bummed to have to leave California to come back to Georgia cuz my vacation was over and I had just started Act 4!

Agreed which brings me back to why oh why did they not have a gig of memory in the PS3? Price possibly?

I think the price for such memory types where still high back then. I mean wasn't they supposed to have 256Mb in the beginning?

The project was under development for a long time. If you look at one's post: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1230513&postcount=221, you'd have more juicy information about their work.

They set out to push the envelope (to realize Kojima's grand vision). There were challenges from learning the Cell architecture, fluidal specs, assorted memory limitations, etc. Someone also mentioned that the more advanced Sony dev tools and frameworks weren't ready for them to use yet (or too late to switch). There was probably a lot of assets to create and update too.

I am glad they were able to put out this level of visual despite the difficulty. I take issue with its story flow and some gameplay mechanics, but overall it's one of the most memorable games i have played.

I think the price for such memory types where still high back then. I mean wasn't they supposed to have 256Mb in the beginning?

Wow that seems awfully low. I mean technically the machine still has 256 MB of ram isnt it? Just for the video bit I mean...I know there's another 256 MB but thats for the XMB and the PS3's own OS and all that right?

The project was under development for a long time. If you look at one's post: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1230513&postcount=221

They set out to push the envelope (to realize Kojima's grand vision). There were challenges from learning Cell architecture, fluidal specs, assorted memory limitations, etc. Someone also mentioned that the more advanced Sony dev tools and frameworks weren't ready for them to use yet (or too late to switch). There was probably a lot of assets to create and update too.

I am glad they were able to put out this level of visuals despite the difficulty. I take issue with its story flow and some gameplay mechanics, but overall it's one of the most memorable games i have played.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post. I am not a fan of the combat for example. But it could be the fact that I am a keyboard mouse person and MGS4 is my first true foray into the world of PS3 gaming and console gaming in general. Even my brother who generally looks down on anything that is on a console was fighting me for the controller to play this game. I have seldom found a game that was able to completely absorb me into the story especially if the games are part of a series. The only other game that was able to do that was the Half Life 2 series. It did not matter to me that I didnt play Half Life 1 at all. MGS4 does the same for me.

MGS4 is meant to be experienced in motion, not paused and zoomed in on the textures really. What's next, pixel counting ? (lol just kidding, but you get the ideea ^_^)
The game's graphical acomplishemnts extend way beyond simply textures or explosions. It is all about how the game manages to portray realistic emotions, reactions and create contexts through the unparalleled quality of the cinematography and the art direction. As giantbomb editors very well put it, the level of character interactivity MGS4 shows is taken for granted in films, but for a video game, it shows a level of visual subtlety that is unprecedented.

No really, if all you care about in a video game are textures and explosions, i STRONGLY suggest looking somewhere else, try Crysis if you haven't already, but stay away from MGS4 'cose it's not what the game is all about, not even close.

So you mean they gave it the award because it has good cutscenes, by the same token every Blizzard game since the mid 90's have won as well.

Cinematography and art direction in cutscenes should not be cited as an example of stellar technical graphics.

Back