[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the smoke swirl just a texture animation? It's been a while, but I only ever saw it in that one level, where the ship flies through the smoke and it swirls. It didn't seem to be based in physics, in any way, as I never saw it in the rest of the game.

Looked animated 2D main effect with some particles to give illusion of volume. Twas nice.

KZ2 doesn't has real God rays, although they do manage to give the illusion of the effect pretty well....best illusion I've seen till date in any game.

I wonder where the line is drawn regarding godrays as beind called 'true godrays'. I mean they are all sunshafts but say in STALKER, Crysis they are dynamic and according to sun position and affected by athmosphere. Then yo uhave KZ2, Fallout 3 and more with handplaced sunshafts at certain spots. For example I just played Fallout 3 and the sunshafts are animated (undegrounds, houses with roof holes at daytime) so they dont just look static and some have layer that simulates dust being lit that is in movement within sunshaft area. Really slick and perhaps what is in KZ2 aswell.

I mean they are all godrays/sunshafts like baked shadows are called shadows and dynamic shadows called shadows! :p

But I do believe (or atleast...feel) that the smokes & particles were volumetric & not just simple sprites.

But they are built up by sprite layers, that is how they are done and how it generally is done. The low-res effects, games blur factor and effects with good amount of particles + z-feather makes the transition between each sprite hard to notice so it looks like a solid volume.

Though would be cool with games that use tiny particles to form volumes as in case of smokes they could fine grain scattering, twirl and morph like in high grade CGI movies. Like the Nvidia physics smoke techdemo.

Anyway you can see the concept in for example Far Cry with rocket launcher trail and force half particle count for smoke trail and then force 1-4x count and see how it affects the 'volumeous effect illusion'.

I wonder where the line is drawn regarding godrays as beind called 'true godrays'. I mean they are all sunshafts but say in STALKER, Crysis they are dynamic and according to sun position and affected by athmosphere. Then yo uhave KZ2, Fallout 3 and more with handplaced sunshafts at certain spots. For example I just played Fallout 3 and the sunshafts are animated (undegrounds, houses with roof holes at daytime) so they dont just look static and some have layer that simulates dust being lit that is in movement within sunshaft area. Really slick and perhaps what is in KZ2 aswell. :p
Indeed...so its dynamic sunshafts & static sunshafts then ! ;)

Looked animated 2D main effect with some particles to give illusion of volume. Twas nice.
The swirl was indeed animated to give an illusion of real time turbulence.
Regardless...no game uses Turbulence in real time. :p

they are built up by sprite layers, that is how they are done and how it generally is done. The low-res effects, games blur factor and effects with good amount of particles + z-feather makes the transition between each sprite hard to notice so it looks like a solid volume.
But then Patsu said that he did notice smoke casting shadows on ground, I can't remember it though....as my memory's a bit shoddy now.
And then there are the smoke grenades in multiplayer. (not sure if its already discussed)

Last edited by a moderator:
No I meant shadow casted on the smoke itself. I remember seeing it in some place.

N_B already mentioned smoke grenade in MP. That one is different from the desert smoke effect.

But wouln´t deep of field and blur be unnecesary in 3d ?. I think i read that 3d already makes the deep of field effect. I´m not sure about blur...

Not really, in fact it'd probably be even more of a requirement. Your eyes also have a focus distance and depending on it some of the world gets blurred for you, too.

Indeed...so its dynamic sunshafts & static sunshafts then ! ;)

Yeah that seems as the proper categorisation.

The swirl was indeed animated to give an illusion of real time turbulence.
Regardless...no game uses Turbulence in real time. :p

Dunno about NV CUDA PhysX powered games with smoke. Some of them seem to react to interaction and simulated wind affection by moving objects. Think Batman had this IIRC.

But then Patsu said that he did notice smoke casting shadows on ground, I can't remember it though....as my memory's a bit shoddy now.
And then there are the smoke grenades in multiplayer. (not sure if its already discussed)

So it does for example WIC RTS on PC but the particle effects are still built up by sprites. Or Crysis where particles recieve shadows and it doesn't break illusion but almost all particle effects are built up by sprites. I assume there is some code to calcualte the contours of particle effect adn then cast a single solid shadow for it that is correct vs lightsource.

Dunno about NV CUDA PhysX powered games with smoke. Some of them seem to react to interaction and simulated wind affection by moving objects. Think Batman had this IIRC.
Yea when I first saw Batman AA, I thought this may be the first instance of real time turbulence. So I played around a little & found that they don't actually swirl as much to have them categorize as turbulence. Seemed just like the volumetric particle implementation in Clear Sky...but done with CUDA. There's some pretty crazy looking effects in Dark Void too, but I haven't actually played the game...just seen some videos, so can't tell much about it.

So it does for example WIC RTS on PC but the particle effects are still built up by sprites. Or Crysis where particles recieve shadows and it doesn't break illusion but almost all particle effects are built up by sprites. I assume there is some code to calcualte the contours of particle effect adn then cast a single solid shadow for it that is correct vs lightsource.
I see.

I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully we'll get a co-op SP this time. Whenever I have a friend of mine over, all he wants to do is play KZ2. And no matter how many times we've beaten the game already, it's always a blast to play.

I was hoping we'd get to play as a helghast at some point, showing this war from their perspective. The Helghasts still having some humanity left should be interesting. They never really were true bad guys since there is an equal amout blame for this war between the ISA and the Helghasts.

Yap, I don't see the Helghans as the bad guys. If Visari looks evil now, hopefully we find ISA committing atrocity in KZ3 to confuse the set up of the war. :p

I'd love to fight as a Helghan Saboteur in SP !

Yeah, the warehouse Godrays looked so good and that's all it matters, kz2 is about a complete package, I look for ward to see improvements on the post processing effect, smoke particles and deferred lighting in kz3.
Also completely destructible environments? Looks like GG are starting to abuse those nifty SPUs after all:).

I was wondering about R3 when news of KZ3 broke out.

I saw the KZ2 Captain Narville 3D trailer in a SonyStyle store today. It's old and not very well done. The background is clearly flat 2D sprites. Only the bullet and nearby objects appear to be in 3D. So yeah... lotsa work to do by March to be a game changer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back