[PS3] Killzone 3 game discussion

I'm sure I'll like it very much. The times I've played the multiplayer and singleplayer demos is something of sickening ... 8)

Holy shit at how good the junkyard/factory level looks :oops:
Also nice water effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going though SP with the Move controller now, and I can honestly say that I'm much better than I am with the DS3. GG did it perfectly. Calibration is very important in how it plays. A small difference in calibration can make your sensitivity settings etc., feel totally different; you can essentially set the sensitivity simply by the way you calibrate. More movement to the Move controller while aiming at the targets, the less sensitive the turn speed is etc. I use these settings:
Width - 0
Height - 30
Cursor sensitivity - 40
Turn speed - 70
no assist
hold
hold

The way I calibrate, is with the Move controller on my lap, because that's how I play. Obviously it's difficult to aim at the targets with the controller on your lap; so what I do, is turn my wrist/the controller as much as I would if I wanted to aim at that part of the screen. Before I would aim at the targets holding the Move controller horizontal like a gun barrel and aim down the sights, but this would make the crosshair way too sensitive and jumpy when playing with the controller on my lap because calibrating this way requires little movement on the Move controller to aim at the targets. If you do play holding the Move controller like a gun barrel aiming down the sights, then you should calibrate like that (although I don't recommend it as it will be tiring on your arms). Basically, the position at which you generally hold the controller is the position you should have the controller in when you calibrate (I guess that's kind of obvious).

Anyway, now it almost feels as good as a kb/m and the game is just a blast to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seem to join a game (Warzone) now...

I can hear other players in the "Connecting..." screen but the game stays there 4ever. :)

Tried to get into Guerilla Warfare but got an error message at first (World is full). And then same thing... stuck in the "Connecting..." screen.

EDIT: I'm in !

Well I started playing the MP last night and had a few TDM (Guerrilla warfare?) games with Russo121. Initial impressions are frustrating once again.

The levels are smaller in this mode and you have randomized spawns (no home-bases) which IMO is a major let down since that was one of KZ2 strongest points compared to other shooters. This may have solved the 'base camping', but on the contrary, you have lots of pointless deaths because you get spawned right smack in the battlefield and potentially have to defend from all sides. It also makes team-work non-existant, because you don't spawn with your friends but in completely different locations.

Then there's also the rather huge learning curve for new players IMO. You spawn with far less ammo (64 shots), the primary weapon is relatively weak, don't have a secondary weapon until you unlock one, little knowledge of the maps (which isn't helped by the fact that you get spawned in a different location everytime you die)... also, the classes are clearly broken in this mode. What good is a tactician if only for the sentry-bots when there are no spawn points to capture and no spawn grenades to throw?

I also don't like the level design at the moment. It's all setup too much like a typical CoD free-for-all game. The jungle level is just terrible with its maze like structure for any type of team-work. If it's Guerrillas idea of fun gameplay to have kill-die-kill-die-kill-die games, then it's really disappointing after the magnificient gameplay that KZ2 had - regardless of the mode you were playing.

There was like nothing like having your base-camped by the enemy in KZ2 and finding a way to get out of that stronghold and into the attack. At least with having your homebase, you were able to coordinate with your squad and build up an attack. With randomized spawns this is just not possible.

Having said that, the objective-based modes may be a bit better in regards to team-work, although I still think it was a huge mistake to dumb down the gameplay and cripple the tactician class. We'll see....

On the positive side; the framerate is good and the controls feel very solid. I feel I may play KZ3 for the new challenge it is, but at this point, KZ2 felt much more solid as a MP game. For all the things they did to make it play more like the Call of Duty series, I might as well go and play that instead and have my 60fps to go with it.

You can slide?? I completed the campaign and am half way through on elite and I didn't know :LOL:
heh, yeah. I think it even trips up enemies.

while sprinting, press the crouch/cover button and he will do a slide and automatically stick to cover if there is one nearby.

Phil, I prefer Warzone to Guerilla Warfare. I actually like the new maps when I stick together with teammates. Going solo is like a grudge match for me. Since I can't cap an objective without teammates' help, I kept going back to my last area to get even. And again and again. :LOL:

I see GAF folks coming up with ideas to use human to carry proximity mine. Might be useful to punch a hole in objective game defense XD. In deathmatches, it'd mostly be used for self defense and stealing campers' kills. Interesting but could be more valuable.

Hope they increase the points for capturing an objective.

iWaggle probe Guerilla Games for their thoughts on Move implementation:
http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2011/03/interview-killzone-3-guerrilla-games.html

The interview is Move-centric.

Going back to your collaboration with Zipper, it was recently revealed they are adding some sort of “quick turn” option to SOCOM 4 along with other new camera related solutions. Have you looked into those as well when developing KZ3? Is there a possibility to bring them in via software update if deemed useful?

Floris Kooij: We have looked into a quick turn both using buttons and gestures. We found that the added value at the time was minimal. Technically there is always the possibility to add things but changes almost invariably have an impact on how existing systems work and/or provide an extra clutter of options.

The decision to let Move and DS3 players play together online came after the necessary play testing on your part. What are your internal statistics with regards to Move vs DS3 competition?

Floris Kooij: We found that our best DS3 testers generally scored a fraction lower after getting well acquainted with the Move controller. Which is what we were initially aiming for, we did not want the Move players to ruin the DS3 player experience but still have a fair chance to do well in a MP match. We also found that ultimately the individual play style, the player skill, the level-layout and the class that is chosen all have an effect on how well you do with one controller or the other. Overall the stats even out fairly well, but we will of course be monitoring what happens when millions of people start playing and if glaring issues pop up we will address them.

[more]

EDIT: I like iWaggle because TTP always... ALWAYS think and act from a gamer's point of view.

Just started this game and I'm really disappointed with some of the game play decisions GG have made, particularly the introduction of ammo boxes. The weapons all have their own distinctive feel and in KZ2 it was always juggling act between keeping a favourite weapon with low ammo or swopping it for a different model found on the battle field. When you were lucky enough to pick up a heavy weapon you conserved it's ammo, eking out every last round. Now it's just spray as many bullets as you want, it doesn't matter, there'll be an ammo box around the corner. For me it's killing a lot of the tension.

Finally got the game.
Amazing graphics, tight gameplay, epic set pieces...
Really loving it!

BUT... I think the game play to cutscene transition could have been better.

I think I'm near the end of the game, but keeping my expectations really low for the supposedly really bad ending :D

Finally got the game.
Amazing graphics, tight gameplay, epic set pieces...
Really loving it!

BUT... I think the game play to cutscene transition could have been better.

I think I'm near the end of the game, but keeping my expectations really low for the supposedly really bad ending :D

The ending really did suck, think Transformers ROTF bad. But other than that I enjoyed the game very much.

Just started this game and I'm really disappointed with some of the game play decisions GG have made, particularly the introduction of ammo boxes. The weapons all have their own distinctive feel and in KZ2 it was always juggling act between keeping a favourite weapon with low ammo or swopping it for a different model found on the battle field. When you were lucky enough to pick up a heavy weapon you conserved it's ammo, eking out every last round. Now it's just spray as many bullets as you want, it doesn't matter, there'll be an ammo box around the corner. For me it's killing a lot of the tension.

I agree... Should have fewer ammo boxes in Trooper difficulty. ^_^

The first time I played the game, I ignored the ammo boxes and used only regular guns. It's intense and kept me on my toes.

The second round, I refilled and threw as much ammo at Helghasts as possible. There's little to no pressure. Fortunately, I played with Move so it became more like an arcade shooter.

Back