[PS3] Killzone 2

Just finished Salamun Market, and it has the most incredible visuals I've seen in a console shooter, the lighting (and general artistic direction) is stupidly good.
I still have some minor issues with the pacing and one note gameplay (room clearing), but the gunfights continue to be ridiculously cool, just like the environments they take place in.

Just finished Salamun Market, and it has the most incredible visuals I've seen in a console shooter, the lighting (and general artistic direction) is stupidly good.
I still have some minor issues with the pacing and one note gameplay (room clearing), but the gunfights continue to be ridiculously cool, just like the environments they take place in.

HehHeh ! Exactly, the gunfights are so intense and cool that when Sev goes alone in one level, it suddenly starts feeling like "Single PLayer":LOL: You get so used to seeing WAR, that going alone like Half-Life 2 just doesn't work anymore. Thankfully the game goes back to WAR after that level and you are all happy again :cool:

HehHeh ! Exactly, the gunfights are so intense and cool that when Sev goes alone in one level, it suddenly starts feeling like "Single PLayer":LOL: You get so used to seeing WAR, that going alone like Half-Life 2 just doesn't work anymore. Thankfully the game goes back to WAR after that level and you are all happy again :cool:

I just finished The Cruiser and the first 10 minutes of Maestra Barrens.
Other than two pretty minor annoyances, (both of which involved turrets) I've loved everything that followed Salamun Bridge.

The second half of the SP is world class stuff IMO, easily rivalling most of the action in COD4. The pacing is more decisive, the action sets wilder, the level layouts more amibitious..it's impressive and immersive stuff. I havnt beaten the game yet, but I feel the 8th level has some of the most intense and satisfying fps action I've played in years.

My friend came over and was playing the first level on normal (trooper?).

It was hilarious, he had problems with the camera bob and controls, most of the time he popped out of cover to take a shot at the enemy's head, he would overshoot the positioning of the crosshair, and then the Helghast would change position before he had a chance to fire.

He also tried to cook & throw grenades from an enclosed area outside, but due to the controls, kept overcompensating and would turn too much causing the grenades to bounce of a wall and land at his feet killing him. :LOL:
It happened to him three times, he was not happy.

Im enjoying the game, but im finding it difficult to reconcile my 'expections' with the 'reality' of the game itself. The game itself just feels slightly off to me, like it doesn't quite nail the gameplay and design elements.

Like for example, the turrets are a PITA and they aren't as engaging as they could be when you're practically invulnerable on them. Probably my biggest issue is the extreme mixture of long/short range combat which makes selecting the guns to use a little bothersome.

Im enjoying the game, but im finding it difficult to reconcile my 'expections' with the 'reality' of the game itself. The game itself just feels slightly off to me, like it doesn't quite nail the gameplay and design elements.

Like for example, the turrets are a PITA and they aren't as engaging as they could be when you're practically invulnerable on them. Probably my biggest issue is the extreme mixture of long/short range combat which makes selecting the guns to use a little bothersome.

You're not invincible - been killed on turrets a number of times...with headshots and rockets. :/

Just a kind of extended heart-rate monitor signal beamed across.

I can see why that may have sounded like a cool idea. However I agree it looks a bit out of place. I haven't really looked at it in any detail though, as I don't usually hang around while the reviving happens. I'm pretty glad you can hit O to revive and run off, without losing control for a time or having to wait around under gunfire while the reviving process happens.

You are never invulnerable on the turrets when playing on Veteran. Currently, two of my least favourite parts of the game are turret sections where I died over and over again because of a wild difficulty spike.

edit:
Played MP for an hour or so and it's grabbed me even more than the SP. I cant believe the width and verticality present in some of these maps, particularly Pyrrhus and Visari Hammer.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to marvel at the graphics as you play, go Normal, if you want to a good, tough challenge and bolder, more tenacious AI, go Veteran.

Im actually playing this game on the easiest setting myself. Started playing on normal but decided to try out casual and have been having a lot more fun with it. The enemies seem just as clever but the dont absorb as much damage wich i prefer.

Having a blast with MP it just feels great. One the reasons it is great to me is the small addition of the lights on the characters, it affects the gameplay more than you would think.

So, is there going to be a B3D clan at all?

The final battle is really poor, as was the fight leading up to it. I can't stand all that infinitely respawning enemies nonsense.

a heads up on bots

http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2009/...ayer-disabled/
Guerrilla have already spotted that a number of players have been setting up games where real players take on an army of low-end bots in order to increase their experience points artificially.

In response to this tactic, they released the following statement:

“We’re disabling the ability to add bots to online games as a temporary measure against rank-up abuse. A permanent solution is forthcoming.”We welcome anything that stops people from being able to artificially unlock as many abilities as possible in a short space of time. Remember people, winnings are much better when you’ve earnt them…

edit:
Played MP for an hour or so and it's grabbed me even more than the SP. I cant believe the width and verticality present in some of these maps, particularly Pyrrhus and Visari Hammer.

I got my copy. No time to play yet. Are the servers behaving ?

I'll go with Normal for SP first.

My friend came over and was playing the first level on normal (trooper?).

It was hilarious, he had problems with the camera bob and controls, most of the time he popped out of cover to take a shot at the enemy's head, he would overshoot the positioning of the crosshair, and then the Helghast would change position before he had a chance to fire.

He also tried to cook & throw grenades from an enclosed area outside, but due to the controls, kept overcompensating and would turn too much causing the grenades to bounce of a wall and land at his feet killing him. :LOL:
It happened to him three times, he was not happy.

Subtle!

In reference to the Manual, it seems the EU guys got a black and white one, mine is full color and quite a few pages. I remember it was similar with Resistance 2, black and white for EU, *really nice* for NA.

The final battle is really poor, as was the fight leading up to it. I can't stand all that infinitely respawning enemies nonsense.

The fight leading up to it was great...they don't infinitely spawn...you kill the ones who come through and they are dead forever. There are just lots of them. The final battle...was hard...made me friggin scared, and was slightly annoying and random/pointless. But satisfying nonetheless. Unlike the stupid ATAC

Back