[PS3] Killzone 2

I have the game now, played up to Visari Square on Veteran.
The AI is outstanding!
I've been outflanked and pummeled from behind (literally) so many times, it's barely a surprise anymore. The HGHs are one gritty, tough, and cunning foe, and fighting them is very, very cool. What's more, the developers often give you some really meaty and visceral combat scenarios that you can easily play over and over again.

That said, there are some pacing issues that manifest themselves, particularly in Visari Square, which has you fighting wave after wave of HGHs in one area.I also find the loading stutters to be really disruptive and annoying, I find them even more annoying than the frame drops. Additionally, I wasnt overly impressed with the graphics in Corinth River; to be fair, they are very good and consistent, but the boring, grey environment is just so dull to look at.
Luckily, the subsequent levels make Corinth River look like a bad joke.

Other than that, I'm really, really loving the combat system and AI. The graphics, while outstanding, feel like a sideshow most of the time, as I often find the gunfights to be overwhelmingly intense.

Well that effect does look pretty bad, compared to how good everything else looks in the game. And it will be highly visible if you play as the medic class.

I was wondering why it didn't receive the same lavish attention to detail as everything else.

That you would watch that video and that would be your sole response makes you extremely transparent. I'd just leave this thread if I was you.

I have the game now, played up to Visari Square on Veteran.
The AI is outstanding!
I've been outflanked and pummeled from behind (literally) so many times, it's barely a surprise anymore. The HGHs are one gritty, tough, and cunning foe, and fighting them is very, very cool. What's more, the developers often give you some really meaty and visceral combat scenarios that you can easily play over and over again.

That said, there are some pacing issues that manifest themselves, particularly in Visari Square, which has you fighting wave after wave of HGHs in one area..

I enjoyed my first experience with the Sniper rifle there :)

I was playing skirmish against the bots (haven't played campaign yet).

Graphics were good, and the MP controls seem slightly better than the demo. The bots are smart, even on trooper difficulty.

However you can't seem to set match options (eg. specify gametype).

And there seems to be some sort of lock on auto aim at times, when the crosshair changes from an + to a x.

BTW was watching a bit of the introductory cutscene, Visari's face looked amazing, are the cutscenes done in real time, or prerecorded in game videos, with some full CGI bits (ie. Visari talking).?

And the manual could be better for a AAA title, reminded me of COD4's one. All black and white, no gun info etc. (yes, I like reading manuals)

Last edited by a moderator:
even the R2 manual was like that, and I hated it for that. Now KZ2 has a B&W manual too. Is recession hitting game companies too much or what?

only the intro cutscene is CG, rest are all in game.

BTW, now I have the medic Badge. Nice addition. ALso, some people in our group have the Enginner badge too, so they spawn those bots n all. Slowly, the MP is fledging out a lot.

Also, played with some EU guys in the noon, the match was a complete chaos, it was kill-all with grenades :LOL: LOL! The ISA had a spawn point next to the HGH spawn point, people would just spawn and throw grenades !
Thankfully, I went back to playing with my friends :)

Thankyou Play.com! Loving it so far!

Theres a patch incoming in the next few hours to fix a connection issue.

Cool thanks, I was wondering what was wrong. I wanted to play online for the first time but got network errors and killzone.com isn`t working as well.

Also, played with some EU guys in the noon, the match was a complete chaos, it was kill-all with grenades :LOL: LOL! The ISA had a spawn point next to the HGH spawn point, people would just spawn and throw grenades !
Thankfully, I went back to playing with my friends :)

Ha ha, the GAF clan used to have custom games like this to warm up. :)
(e.g., air fuel only, frag grenade only, melee only).

They were rather fun if you play with people you "know". The R1 maps were large enough to have uninterrupted 1-on-1 duel for a few seconds (before someone else showed up and killed me and/or the opponent from behind). So it can get intense.

I look forward to meeting other clans. The most amazing part about clan war is the learning process. Countering strategies and tactics deployed by different parties is a very interesting exercise. Sometimes when I thought I had seen it all, some clans would come up with more secret sniping locations, different mix of soldiers, etc.

EDIT: Actually, something more amazing is when some clan found a winning formula, it could be imitated and evolved by other clans over a short time.

I've started playing on veteran, and it's going well so far. Although I have died a lot in places. I can't say the AI has improved over normal in the demo. But it was already very decent, and good fun play against. All and all the gameplay has been great so far. It's been a long time since I've played a SP FPS this good.

The only things I don't like are the inaccurate weapons and the sniper and rocketlauncher enemies. The weapons often miss, even though the reticule is placed perfectly for a headshot. And the snipers and rocketlauncher enemies are both 1 shot killers, very cheap IMO.

I'm just past the train mission right now, which I'm guessing is about halfway through.

My favourite gun has been the Boltgun so far. It has a very satisfying way of taking down enemies, and is nice break from going for headshots all the time.

Is there actually anything about this game that you don't think is crap? Or sub standard, or not up to your, obviously, outrageous expectations?

Or do you just get off on be on a downer all the time?

Imo, the Zapper lighting effect looks terrible in comparison to the rest of the effects in this game imo.

Quick question, is there a Free for all mode multiplayer mode (deathmatch?) ?

I prefer not to play with random people in teams as atleast 90% of them are worthless, and only end up either team killing me by accident or blocking a hallway (usually resulting in me shooting them in the head if FF is on)

Quick question, is there a Free for all mode multiplayer mode (deathmatch?) ?

I prefer not to play with random people in teams as atleast 90% of them are worthless, and only end up either team killing me by accident or blocking a hallway (usually resulting in me shooting them in the head if FF is on)

I don't have the game yet but I'm pretty sure there's no traditional DM. Caused a mini-furore a while back.

Sorry, no game here yet (Blast !)

I was told FF is settable before the game. That is why I am interested to try out Saboteur. It's double whammy if I get to fool them and they ended up killing their own friends by mistake. :devilish:

If you run your own clan, you can kick people off I suppose.

EDIT: I am getting very fragmented info about KZ2 from early players. I heard the enemies could also hear your squad voice chat if you're too close to them. I have not verified this though.

I'm so torn with this game .... I'd really like a new multiplayer game to mess around with, but I wasn't thrilled by the singleplayer demo. But there are so many good reviews ..... I'm right on the fence.

Imo, the Zapper lighting effect looks terrible in comparison to the rest of the effects in this game imo.

It is an appalling hack in the context of the rest of the game! A statix 'electricty' sprite, not really electricity, but not a clear ray of any sort. Just a kind of extended heart-rate monitor signal beamed across. It looks completely out of place and I'm shocked it made it in! Why not just use a straight beam, or treat it like a gun with a flash, or use a warp effect, or any other effect instead? Bizarre choice.

Oh come on, the health-beam is an atrocity that looks like it slipped past everyone's radar. There is simply no excuse as to why it looks like that when the rest of the game looks so good. Unless if maybe they made it like that so that you want to use it less ...

I believe one of the writers highlighted it in a preview/review (amongst other negatives).

R2 has beefy medical ray but it doesn't really add more aesthetics to the game either. Some aura-like trick might work (wthout the ray).

It's actually not something I care for. Didn't even notice any anomaly until a few people brought it up. But if vanquish think it's the best effect ever, it must be bad.

Back