PS3 Firmware 3.0

Certainly the way Firmware 3.0 integrates the browser at its core seems to suggest something like this. It reminds me of these small news items like the AmbiFX SDK support added to the PS3 SDK, which in hindsight may have hinted at the ambilight style bulb on the PSMC (no doubt Philips got something for that)

I do think it speaks to potential PS3/PS4 Google tie-ins down the line, including possibly on the OS front as we've speculated here before. Now that the PC division and Playstation are under the same leadership - and that leadership being Playstation originated - it's hard not to view any PC-level deals (especially in the context of the existing Google/Playstation apps), and not get the sense that there may be more to come.

As for the firmware, I still need to download it... don't want to get this thing off topic so early after all!

I do think it speaks to potential PS3/PS4 Google tie-ins down the line...
Well Google are already in as the search engine provider. It makes sense for both Google and Sony. MS are trying to compete with Google in the search engine space. If they command the living room, they'll be one step closer to controlling the information portal of choice for users. Sony don't really want the expense of developing their own internet services on top of media services; there's nothing to gain for them from that anyway. Whereas Google want to get their software everywhere. Combining the two makes sense. Sony produce the hardware, Google produce the internet software. Google can provide custom online apps too, so PS4 could have online wordprocessing for example, specifically customised for Google-built PS4 browser. I guess one could ask why would Sony pair up with Google when they wouldn't with MS. I guess in this case the partnership would be more symbiotic, with both parties offering different aspects to the end server, whereas an MS+Sony partnership would see them both stepping on each others toes a lot.

Negative

Friends List - The gray background they use for the friends list is horrible. Should be either transparent gray, transparent black, or none at all.

"What's New" - Change “What’s New” section to display background while accessed. The other store icons throughout the XMB show the current background but the “What’s New” section displays blue wallpaper. I would like to see my theme if I am to have this as my default boot screen.

Font - HDTV + Large font doesn't go well together. At least make an optional small, medium or large selections possible.

Status Indicator - Remove border for upper right status/notification area. Doesn't work well on screen. Also give option to disable news ticker.

Positive

Speed - The download took 2 minutes, and installed in the same time. Navigating the XMB is much faster than it was before. Navigating the Store is much faster as well. People are also reporting games booting up faster.

Friends List - Seeing the last time a user was on, or what they are doing before I scroll to their name is very welcome.

XMB List Indicator - Ever scrolled a very long list in the XMB to get to something that was at the bottom but you never knew how far you had to go? Now as you speed scroll through and little ruler pops up to show you how far you are from the bottom or top.

Dynamic Theme - I LOVE my new LBP dynamic theme. Even if it is $2.99.

Mobile Remote Play - I can't do it from my phone but all those future Sony Ericsson phones with Remote Play can by registering their phone on the newly added mobile device registration list.

The friends list is pretty ugly, but it's much faster now. I'll sacrifice some prettiness for the speed. I like the friend counter in the top right, so I don't have to look at my list to see if I have friends online. I like the "What's New" feature. It looks a little tacked on, but the animation on the windows is nice. There's no way I'm buying themes, but the default is nice enough.

one-to-one cross-game voice chat please.

The friends list is pretty ugly, but it's much faster now. I'll sacrifice some prettiness for the speed. I like the friend counter in the top right, so I don't have to look at my list to see if I have friends online. I like the "What's New" feature. It looks a little tacked on, but the animation on the windows is nice. There's no way I'm buying themes, but the default is nice enough.

one-to-one cross-game voice chat please.

It's not faster because of the way it looks though. We can have faster and looking nicer too.

It's not faster because of the way it looks though. We can have faster and looking nicer too.

I agree. I just think overall the friends list is improved because of the speed, despite the step backwards in appearance. I'm not sure why they made it so ugly. They could have kept the same look.

Wow, that Afrika theme looks incredibly awesome in person! :) 5MB not bad ...

Kinda strange design decision with the new friendslist. Now it sticks out from the overall XMB style just like the old news strip did. I hope they change it soon.

I like the 3.0 changes. Have a few suggestions...

+ Allow font size adjustment

+ Agree that Friends List and the new What's New icons should not need the horizontal background bars

+ They have added PS Store icon to Video and Game categories, and What's New to the PSN category. I think they didn't go far enough to flesh out this concept. I think they should:

- What's New:
Remove the default horizontal background bars. Leave the labels ("Our Pick", "Recently Played") as is or fold them inside the icon description.

Add a third category "Community" to highlight PSN user activities. e.g., PSN user stats (Top players, etc.), list players with similar interests, game battles, happenings in Playstation Home, "PS Thanks" items should be listed here. This will leave all 3 slots in "Recently Played" for launching my games.

File the other extra icons as "Promo". They will autoscroll anyway. The top 3 icons should be sufficient for Sony to highlight the important/new titles without appearing too spammy. The other promo stuff will also show up when people scroll down to check out the "Community" activities.

- Network:
Move Google Search up and rename it to "Find Internet Resources". Add my browser bookmarks using the new panel UI to this icon. Make the search box "in-place" instead of popping up a virtual keyboard.

Rename "Life with Playstation" to "Playstation Earth"

- Game
Rename PS Store icon in Games category to "Find Games". Show recommended titles in the new panel UI as usual, but allow users to search games (by typing). Also allow users to rate the result and the recommended titles from XMB. Use these ratings to filter/prioritize the game listing so that the icons are more targeted. Also use the data to find players with similar interests (and skills) in the "Community" tab above.

"Find Games" should show up below the disc icon so it does not get in the way when people want to play game.

- Video
Same as above: Find Video. Besides typing, also use sketch and PS Eye image capture to find videos.

"Find Video" should show up below the disc icon so it does not get in the way when people want to watch Blu-ray now.

- Music
Same as above: Find Music. Besides typing, also use my singing to find music. And God bless us, bring VidZone to US. My VidZone icon belongs to EU and it can't launch. :p

- Photo
Similar to above: Find Photos. Expand on Photo Gallery using the motion sensing idea: Use sketch and PS Eye image capture to find stuff.

Ticker should only be used for major announcements (e.g., PSN scheduled maintenance), and should be muted after some time. It can show more info if users subscribe to it. If XMB is left idle, then Ticker can start again.

Finally, should have old Background theme available in case people are nostalgic.

Do more usability testing to refine the changes.

Really? I read that it uses the same SDK that game developers use for games ...

I have to say, this update is a huge disappointment..

I have to say, that all updates ive have gotten from Sony so far is a huge dissapointment. There is so much basic stuff that they should have ripped off the XBL concept, but that the developers are clearly to lazy to do.

I know that PSN is free, but it seems that the devs just refuse to look at better, simpler solutions.

There is just so much that is inconviniently done, allmost as if they just had some bulletin list of things to implement, and as long as they could check the box of it was fine, even if practicality goes out of the window.

I dont want to go through the menus in the actual game i want to play, find the invite option, then to find out that since my friend is not currently playing the same game as me, i cannot invite him!

Why is inviting people and joining people on PSN so ridiculously hard? I should be able to just select my friend from a list, push a button to either join or invite him like on XBL.

When your creating a service, you should at the very least look at what your competition is doing and steal all their good ideas. Its obvious to me that the devs for PSN are living in their own little glass bottle, paying no attention to the needs of gamers nor practicality.

They have their own vision and they are sticking to it, no matter what happends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back