PS3 Firmware 1.80 - PS/PS2/DVD upscaling, DLNA and more!

I actually wish the PS3 would allow the DVD's to be run at 480i and 576i, and let the display or external scaler to do the whole deinterlacing and upscaling job.

My TV set is DVI only... does that count as HDMI since I am using and HDMI to DVI cable? (for DVD upscale)

I actually wish the PS3 would allow the DVD's to be run at 480i and 576i, and let the display or external scaler to do the whole deinterlacing and upscaling job.
I take it you mean through HDMI? As with component you would only need to deselect 480p support to have it pass through a 480i signal (for DVDs). Well, that is, before 1.8. :LOL: I wonder if DVD upscaling will be a separate menu option from the normal resolution settings. If they were A/V enthusiast conscious, they would separate it.

My TV set is DVI only... does that count as HDMI since I am using and HDMI to DVI cable? (for DVD upscale)
As long as its HDCP compliant, you should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's likely Windows Media Connect is just a UPnP server and not completely DLNA compatible.

There are commercial servers for PC though

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVDMCE_Profile.jsp
http://www.twonkyvision.de/
http://www.dixim.net/index.html.en
http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/Nero_MediaHome.html

Is there a freeware?
Thanks for the links. Wiki also has a mega-list of Media Server software (and some hardware, too). A few appear to be free.
Wikipedia said:
  • Fuppes - free open source UPnP MediaServer, supports transcoding of diverse audio formats to mp3. Only directory browsing supported.
  • TVersity - free closed source UPnP MediaServer, currently in beta, which allows on-the-fly transcoding to wmv.
  • Philips Media Manager is a free closed source UPnP AV MediaServer for Windows and Macintosh that is based on Streamium
  • MediaTomb - free, open source (GPL) UPnP AV MediaServer for Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD and Cygwin which also runs on NAS devices. Allows users to define a custom container layout by the means of JavaScript, has a nice AJAX based UI.
  • FreeNAS, a free operating-system/software, enabling you to turn any x86-based computer into a dedicated stand-alone NAS (Network-Attached Storage) device. (FreeNAS UPnP server code is from the Portable Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) SDK project).

I take it you mean through HDMI? As with component you would only need to deselect 480p support to have it pass through a 480i signal (for DVDs). Well, that is, before 1.8. :LOL: I wonder if DVD upscaling will be a separate menu option from the normal resolution settings. If they were A/V enthusiast conscience, they would separate it.

As long as its HDCP compliant, you should be good to go.
Yep, I mean through HDMI.
It's so that there would be more choice, some people might have a dedicated high quality external upscaler that also does better job at deinterlacing, or a display that does it better.
If the deinterlacing is very good on the new PS3 firmware, then it's ok. I've just found that my projector with it's Faroudja chip has thus far been visibly better than for example my Pioneer DV-696 DVD player at deinterlacing, so I've been grateful the Pioneer has the option to feed raw 576i to the projector.

Another thing. Would I be able to stream from a PC with the PSP via PS3 using remote play?

Well, I don't trust you any more on your "insider information" :)
You said in the previous thread that there would be nothing special new in the firmware apart from upscaling, but the DLNA streaming and PSP remote play to me are at least as big features.

:LOL: Oh the Internet ! You can't be too careful :yes:

I am jumping with joy. With this update, my most wanted feature (WAN Remote Play) is in. My dream feature for 2008 (DLNA support) is also included !

It also means that subsequent major updates will most likely be advanced Blu-ray playback (e.g., 24fps), digital distribution or online gaming related :D. Thanks and please Sony, give us Wallpapers and XMB in-game access next. I promise to be good this year :p

Windows Media Connect is DLNA 1.0: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/media/MCX.mspx

I don't know what DLNA3 is. The last time I checked, there was a DLNA 1.5. dlna.org site is swarmed now, so I can't verify.

Sony's DLNA implementation most likely will not include WMV 10 and Windows DRM support (Both are supposed to be in for Netfront).

Well, I don't trust you any more on your "insider information" :)
You said in the previous thread that there would be nothing special new in the firmware apart from upscaling, but the DLNA streaming and PSP remote play to me are at least as big features

I quote myself

my insider confirmed a new firmware which involves upscaling stuff happening THIS WEEK .
so patience children
you cant expect me to say everything now dont you? :smile:

Great update but HDMI/HDCP requirement for DVD upscaling is pretty stupid (DVD Forum heh). If I was going to rip a dvd, I could upscale myself anyway. It is not a magical.

Can you confirm if non-EU PS3s will be able to upscale PS1/PS2 games?

Why are people asking this question? It is not like EU PS3 emulates GS. And clearly upscaling is a post rendering process. It has nothing to do with EE.
And don't forget NA/JP PS3s can deinterlace 480i only games already.

Great update but HDMI/HDCP requirement for DVD upscaling is pretty stupid (DVD Forum heh). If I was going to rip a dvd, I could upscale myself anyway. It is not a magical.
It's possible that it's upscaling to HDMI 1.3 Deep Color.

Afaik several of the mentioned media servers support transcoding of formats not supported by the recieving end. It´s gonna be interesting to see the boost they get now :)

A little more info from the SCEA PR:

LATEST PLAYSTATION 3 FIRMWARE UPDATE ADDS UPSCALING FOR PLAYSTATION/PLAYSTATION 2 GAMES AND DVD MOVIES

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) System via Wireless Internet and Access to Media Content via DLNA Technology Also Enabled

FOSTER CITY, Calif., May 23, 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced that the next regular system software update for the PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system (version 1.80) will be available on Thursday, May 24, and will add upscaling of PlayStation/PlayStation 2 games and DVD movies up to 1080p resolution. Now, in addition to displaying native high-definition (HD) content in the highest possible quality (1080p), PS3 system can turn standard definition content into a vibrant HD-quality experience.

The latest firmware update also gives PS3 owners more flexibility to enjoy their digital entertainment content where they want to. The Remote Play feature for using a PSP (PlayStation Portable) system to access photos, videos, and music on a PS3 system’s hard drive will be available from outside of a user’s own home via any accessible Wi-Fi Internet connection, upon the next PSP firmware update. Additionally, PS3 can now play back media content stored on a personal computer or digital video recorder with Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) capability over a home network.

“As adoption of HDTVs continues to surge, we know that consumers are hungry for content, and this latest firmware update leverages the PS3’s technology to deliver an HD-quality experience using the entertainment media already in your collection,” said Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing, SCEA. “In addition, we continue to enhance the PS3’s capabilities as an entertainment hub, giving consumers the option to bring their content with them on-the-go, or to stream photos, videos, and music stored on their PC to the PS3 in their living room. That’s often where the largest TV monitor and sound system is located, giving consumers the best possible entertainment experience.”

Upscaling Games and Movies
SCEA is enhancing the PS3 user experience by enabling PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games to be upscaled to HD resolution, up to 1080p. Classic games as well as recently released titles can now be enjoyed like never before. And PS3 system now has the capability to upscale DVD videos to HD quality (up to 1080p), a feature typically limited to top-of-the-line DVD players. Upscaling games requires an HDMI or component AV cable, while upscaling DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) requires an HDMI cable and HDMI compatible TV set.

Media Content on the Move
Since November, PS3 owners have been able to stream photos, videos, and music stored on their PS3’s hard drive to a nearby PSP system. Consumers will soon have the freedom to access this media content wherever and whenever their PSP is connected to a wireless Internet access point. To take advantage of this feature, users will have to update their PSP system’s firmware to the next version, 3.50, slated for release next week. Once both systems are updated, consumers can enjoy their entertainment content wherever and whenever wireless Internet access is available, including the 7,000 T-Mobile HotSpot locations across the United States.

Other Feature Upgrades

Copying Saved Data to a Memory Card – Users can now copy saved data from
PlayStation or PlayStation 2 format software stored on their PS3 system to a
Memory Card or Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2), using their PS3
system and a Memory Card Adaptor.

Photo Printing, Viewing, and Editing – The photo capabilities of PS3 system
have been enhanced, allowing users to print digital photos stored on a PS3’s
hard drive or inserted storage media. Currently, select Epson printers connected
via USB are compatible. In addition, users will find a new type of slideshow for
displaying photos, zoom functionality and the option to crop images.

Specifically, this PR gives a little more detail on the photo printing/viewing/cropping. The latter is sort of unexpected, I don't have an epson photo printer, but it's neat to see them support things like that. The added memory card functionality ought to be nice for anyone who might want to play any PS2/PS1 games between their PS3 and the other systems.

A little more info from the SCEA PR:

Specifically, this PR gives a little more detail on the photo printing/viewing/cropping. The latter is sort of unexpected, I don't have an epson photo printer, but it's neat to see them support things like that.

If I remember correctly they supported printing from GT4 on Epson printers too.

Back