PS3 Firmware 1.80 - PS/PS2/DVD upscaling, DLNA and more!

I just come back off the phone with Ken K.

upscaling trough HDMI only is only valid for DVD movie playback

PS1,2 games are perfectly upscalable by component.

Question though:

Since the upscaling is obviously done by the software, how would this be possible on units that still have Emotion Engine on?

More importantly, is this a universal update or will this only apply to PS3 units with software emulator/EE chip removed (like the European, Middle East and Korea PS3 consoles) while the earlier PS3s will not receive this update (North America, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan).

Can any care to comment or confirm? Thanks :)

Will there be a noticeable difference between my TV displaying DVDs in 576i where the TV scales it to fit the screen and when the PS3 upscales it to 720p internally?

And yes, it looks almost too good to be true. It's almost like a new Sony. :) It must be helping that the 360 and PS3 (and Wii) are forcing each other to bring their A-game. :D

Well... I don't know about external pressure as being the origins of this though; I think it's likely they've had this in mind (and been working on it as well) for a long long time now. I'm certainly excited, I'll say that much. To go further, I'm almost surprised that this firmware *doesn't* carry the 2.0 designator - seems significant enough in my book. Makes me excited about what's in the pipe! ;)

Well competition is awesome!

If Sony was comfortably in #1 place right now they would not have had the incentive to do awesome stuff like this. What I will be enjoying on the 24th is above and beyond what I originally paid for. So it's pretty damn sweet.

PS3 3rd place For The Win!

It may thus be well suited to act as a server for PS3. But other software may offer other features, or better features. I guess we'll have to compare..there are a variety of solutions out there for PC.
I was thinking specifically of people I know who already have Media Centre PCs, and the lack of networked media support on PS3 was a severe blow to getting one. If Sony have fixed that now, it's back on the cards as a (or 'the') living-room device.

To go further, I'm almost surprised that this firmware *doesn't* carry the 2.0 designator - seems significant enough in my book. Makes me excited about what's in the pipe! ;)

I'd like to point out that none of the features in the 1.8 update, were in the original 2.0 update rumor. That rumor may still very well be valid. I think we may mistakinely be linking these 2 as one.

If Sony was comfortably in #1 place right now they would not have had the incentive to do awesome stuff like this. What I will be enjoying on the 24th is above and beyond what I originally paid for. So it's pretty damn sweet.

Well, we'll agree to disagree - I think they would have done this anyway. Or at least, it's on the order of what Kutaragi was talking about back in the day. It's like when online sites these days say "Sony needs more games..." That's all well and good, but the games they will or won't get are years-long development affairs; the dice are cast long before the commentary concerning what should be done seems pertinent. I have a feeling that the PS3 as media hub strategy was put in motion at least as early as the 360 launch a year before its.

Will there be a noticeable difference between my TV displaying DVDs in 576i where the TV scales it to fit the screen and when the PS3 upscales it to 720p internally?

Not necessarily. It depends on the quality of the TV scaler and the PS3's scaler. I think that in theory, the PS3 should be in a slightly better position to scale well because it probably has more power, and it is closer to the source material. Whatever information the PS3 doesn't send to the TV, the TV has no access to.

I have a recent Samsung TV (December, model was out only a few months then) which seems to scale decently, so I'll let you know if I see any differences. ;) Maybe I should make a few close up fotos before and after.

Though it would be better if someone with a 1080p TV did this ...

Upscaling was always the plan (was announced right back in 2005 when the PS3 was), but if you want to give some undue credit to Sony, by all means don't let me stop you. ;)

The point is not that these features were never planned for the PS3, but I think we probably get them about 6 months sooner than we would have if the 360 wasn't competing on the media side of things. Of course, I could be wrong.

I think it's hard to even separate those ideas out though, because as far as these consoles are concerned, they've always been competing with each other on the media side of things - even before their launches it was framed as such. Whether the development was sped up due to the perception that 'action' was needed, or indeed whether the development actually lagged behind, and this was stuff that was ideally supposed to be ready at launch, who knows...

Well anyway, we all agree we're looking forward to it though. May spurn me to buy a PSP in fact! ;)

Not necessarily. It depends on the quality of the TV scaler and the PS3's scaler. I think that in theory, the PS3 should be in a slightly better position to scale well because it probably has more power, and it is closer to the source material. Whatever information the PS3 doesn't send to the TV, the TV has no access to.

I have a recent Samsung TV (December, model was out only a few months then) which seems to scale decently, so I'll let you know if I see any differences. ;) Maybe I should make a few close up fotos before and after.

Though it would be better if someone with a 1080p TV did this ...

I have a 1080p Bravia and currently 480p signals on it looks pretty much like... 480p. Can't say it looks horrible its just obviously NOT 1080p or even 720p.

I'll take some before and after shots both DVD playback and PS2 games as well. Just the thought of SoC or GoW at 1080p.... drool.

I just come back off the phone with Ken K.

upscaling trough HDMI only is only valid for DVD movie playback

PS1,2 games are perfectly upscalable by component.
Well, I don't trust you any more on your "insider information" :)
You said in the previous thread that there would be nothing special new in the firmware apart from upscaling, but the DLNA streaming and PSP remote play to me are at least as big features
I have a 1080p Bravia and currently 480p signals on it looks pretty much like... 480p. Can't say it looks horrible its just obviously NOT 1080p or even 720p.

I'll take some before and after shots both DVD playback and PS2 games as well. Just the thought of SoC or GoW at 1080p.... drool.
That's because the DVD's are still not HD, no matter how good the scaler it just can't magically put detail to the screen that's not on the DVD.

It depends on your TV, f it has a scaler and if that scaler does a better job then what PS3 does. Best thing to do when the update is realeased is set PS3 to do the upscaling and see if it looks better then the picture your getting now.

Back