[PS3] Demon Souls

WARNING: Boletaria will swing to full Black Tendency on Halloween Eve

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4901

IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- OCTOBER 29, 2009 -- Atlus U.S.A., Inc. today passed along an ominous warning to online players of the sleeper hit Demon's Souls™ for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

"Early reports from the Kingdom of Boletaria indicate that the Old One's power grows," announced Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus, shuffling awkwardly under the weight of his full set of fluted armor. "We've discovered that the nefarious Demon will seek to descend the land in pure blackness on All Hallow's Eve. His minions will be more powerful, but the rewards for those who seek to challenge them will be greater as well. We don't know how long this dark tendency will last, but we do advise those prone to controller-into-LCD syndrome to proceed carefully." Jabbari then cackled as he quickly put a Thief's ring on his finger and disappeared.

Time to figure out which sidequest(s) you want to do !
And what stones you're missing. The monsters are more generous in Black Tendency.

patsu, yes, I believe you about the tips for the boss where I am stuck now, but I want to find it out by myself, altough I fail to see how can I manage to do anything than being an meat tootpick for him. :) Altough, as my main char was/is a Knight the metal armor can be useful for cleaning his teeth of those pesky adventurers. If I do not kill him in the next few tries, I will read your spoiler.

I think I have the Purple Flame Shield already, very useful against
those proximity lights in 2 - * and against the Flamelurker. BTW, the Flamelurker intro was the one what got me, I killed the spider on the first try, he did not liked my enchanted +5 Scimitar. The Flamelurker wiped the floor in the first try, killed me with two-three hits, I thought he is the thing/danger that Ed etc. mention (until I saw the Dragon God!). With the shield from the Dragon´s on 1-1 he was manageable. BTW, the Dragon´s never dissapeared even though Miralda´s dungeon appeared?! Died 1-2 times while trying to get all loot from the dragons, there is still something left... Will never get the tendency system.

Thanks about the info of your soul level and how it works. If we come near, we need to play something we both already know together (maybe help each other farm something?). Then later when we learn some teamwork even try something new :) .

Where can you re-load while farming? Do you have an example?

BTW,
I upgraded the Dragonsword to +3 or +4 and those "normal" skeletons in 4 - 1 are killed in one strong hit or two normal ones :D , altough I invested mostly into strenght and endurance (both at about 26).

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4901

Time to figure out which sidequest(s) you want to do !
And what stones you're missing. The monsters are more generous in Black Tendency.

Wow! Now I just need to write down Halloween in my calender or I will forget about it :) . I am completely lost now, so if I try to get WT everywhere (I imagine that is what a "good" character would try), they will revert these settings?

Sidequests?
I can only remember two, Graverobber wants that idiot patches dead and I need to save Freke.
Think I will play as I think it fits and leave the perfectionism for the 2nd playthrough...

I think they should make an T-Shirt with the slogan "I play Demon´s Souls, but don´t know anything about World tendency!", I would buy it right away :) .

Thanks for all those very useful infos!

patsu, yes, I believe you about the tips for the boss where I am stuck now, but I want to find it out by myself, altough I fail to see how can I manage to do anything than being an meat tootpick for him. :) Altough, as my main char was/is a Knight the metal armor can be useful for cleaning his teeth of those pesky adventurers. If I do not kill him in the next few tries, I will read your spoiler.

I spent all 27 full moon leaves fighting against the
Dragon God
. Came back all broke (Zero souls to spend). Had to re-farm in 2-*. In the process, I collected enough special stones to upgrade my bow further. :)

I think I have the Purple Flame Shield already, very useful against
those proximity lights in 2 - * and against the Flamelurker. BTW, the Flamelurker intro was the one what got me, I killed the spider on the first try, he did not liked my enchanted +5 Scimitar. The Flamelurker wiped the floor in the first try, killed me with two-three hits, I thought he is the thing/danger that Ed etc. mention (until I saw the Dragon God!). With the shield from the Dragon´s on 1-1 he was manageable. BTW, the Dragon´s never dissapeared even though Miralda´s dungeon appeared?! Died 1-2 times while trying to get all loot from the dragons, there is still something left... Will never get the tendency system.

The dragons should disappear and Miralda's dungeon should open if the world is pure white. Did you fight her ?

Thanks about the info of your soul level and how it works. If we come near, we need to play something we both already know together (maybe help each other farm something?). Then later when we learn some teamwork even try something new :) .

Yap ! Would be ideal to go after the in-game Black Phantoms to get their equipments.

Where can you re-load while farming? Do you have an example?

I haven't tried it yet. Only read it elsewhere. But I know someone who used it to fight the 3-4 boss.

BTW,
I upgraded the Dragonsword to +3 or +4 and those "normal" skeletons in 4 - 1 are killed in one strong hit or two normal ones :D , altough I invested mostly into strenght and endurance (both at about 26).

Yeah... I am trying to level up my strength and endurance to carry better weapons. However I also spend some on dexterity for the bow.

Wow! Now I just need to write down Halloween in my calender or I will forget about it :) . I am completely lost now, so if I try to get WT everywhere (I imagine that is what a "good" character would try), they will revert these settings?

Yeah, I think they will force all worlds to black. So it will screw up your white world tendency.

Sidequests?
I can only remember two, Graverobber wants that idiot patches dead and I need to save Freke.
Think I will play as I think it fits and leave the perfectionism for the 2nd playthrough...

There are a lot. I think
3-1
may be worthwhile for beginner-intermediate players. World 5 may be too scary to go in pure black.

I think they should make an T-Shirt with the slogan "I play Demon´s Souls, but don´t know anything about World tendency!", I would buy it right away :) .

Thanks for all those very useful infos!

I'm still trying to figure things out too.

Patsu, why did you need to eat grass 27 times to beat that boss? I thought he was actually pretty easy to beat, and I dont think I even used grass once.

Because at first I couldn't clear the obstacles in time, and would get punched to death. Sometimes I narrowly escaped its fists, and had to take a full moon glass to recover.

I also memorized his moves, which was not that reliable when I changed my "attack" pattern. Once I figured out how it detected my position, the fight became easier.

Just cleared 3-1 this evening. Another 3 Black Phantoms killed. One of them was wielding the Dark Silver Shield. Too bad I couldn't grab it from him. This time, I managed to use regular arrows and magic to hurt them. Two of them throw magic back at me though.

I suspect my Thief ring made it hard for them to see me. I am not that great in melee. One of them literally ran straight into me along a long, narrow corridor. Under normal circumstances, he should be able to see me and avoid my arrow.

Where do you stay ? Can't you cancel the order and get it elsewhere ? I saw 20 copies total in Fry's Electronics and GameStop.

Because at first I couldn't clear the obstacles in time, and would get punched to death. Sometimes I narrowly escaped its fists, and had to take a full moon glass to recover.

I also memorized his moves, which was not that reliable when I changed my "attack" pattern. Once I figured out how it detected my position, the fight became easier.

You must have a lot of health to be able to survive a punch!! Once I got hit I was dead. took me about 7 tries to figure out his pattern, and after that I thought jeebus he's really easy. 1-4 boss on the other hand... he's really tough!

Where do you stay ? Can't you cancel the order and get it elsewhere ? I saw 20 copies total in Fry's Electronics and GameStop.

No I took advantage of the buy 2 get one free at BB. They don't have any copies within a 60mi radius. By the way I live in upstate NY.

You must have a lot of health to be able to survive a punch!! Once I got hit I was dead. took me about 7 tries to figure out his pattern, and after that I thought jeebus he's really easy. 1-4 boss on the other hand... he's really tough!

Ah... it's just that occasionally, I got caught in between his knuckles or his fists. So they were not direct hits. I think no one can survive his punches.

Yes, 1-4 seems like the hardest boss from what I hear. I will most likely tackle him with 2 Blue Phantoms.

I reached New Game+ a few days ago but I think I'll give it a rest for now. Doing all the world and character tendency stuff in first game cycle is very viable if you're willing to read guides. Apart from world 5, especially 5-2, I mostly enjoyed my time with this game. Probably will go again next year. Hopefully, the Asian servers will still be alive when I come back.

... 1-4 boss on the other hand... he's really tough!

1-4 was the final boss fight I did. Before I went into the fight myself, I helped others fight him as a blue phantom to see what it's like. I actually thought it's not difficult and quite a fun way to earn souls if you have 2 to 3 people hitting him, distracting him when you eat grass etc. Earned quite a lot of souls from beating him a few times this way. However, the fun was shattered when I was apparently summoned twice in a row by people in New Game+. He was much harder on those occasions. Only succeeded once in helping New Game+ players, and had 5 levels or so sucked out of me in the process. I was around level 100 at the time and each level cost something like 65k. :cry:

After that, I just went on to finish my own game not by fighting like a warrior but
using Poison Cloud instead. Just wait behind a wall until he comes near and turns his back. I was using both thief ring and Hide. Sneak up stairs slowly and poison him. Repeat when the poison wears off. He doesn't react to Poison Cloud at all.
;) I was eating when I fought 1-4 boss in my own game. :LOL:

1-4 was the final boss fight I did. Before I went into the fight myself, I helped others fight him as a blue phantom to see what it's like. I actually thought it's not difficult and quite a fun way to earn souls if you have 2 to 3 people hitting him, distracting him when you eat grass etc. Earned quite a lot of souls from beating him a few times this way. However, the fun was shattered when I was apparently summoned twice in a row by people in New Game+. He was much harder on those occasions. Only succeeded once in helping New Game+ players, and had 5 levels or so sucked out of me in the process. I was around level 100 at the time and each level cost something like 65k. :cry:

How much does the 1-4 boss drop when you kill him ?

After that, I just went on to finish my own game not by fighting like a warrior but
using Poison Cloud instead. Just wait behind a wall until he comes near and turns his back. I was using both thief ring and Hide. Sneak up stairs slowly and poison him. Repeat when the poison wears off. He doesn't react to Poison Cloud at all.
;) I was eating when I fought 1-4 boss in my own game. :LOL:

Yes, I heard about that technique. I was in 1-3 saving
Yuria and Biorr. Learned the Firestorm spell
but the world is getting really dark. In 15 minutes time, it should be pure black.

I quit in the middle of 3-2 to go home. Trying to see if I can make it back to the office tomorrow to play the game with Yemeth (It should be Sunday his time in my evening, I think).

Also got killed finally during one of my Black Phantom encounters. I fell into the 1-3 river accidentally when flanking the third Phantom. >_< I was winning the fight too. Ah well, I don't have to worry about invading Black Phantoms in the Halloween event then.

Also got killed finally during one of my Black Phantom encounters. I fell into the 1-3 river accidentally when flanking the third Phantom. >_< I was winning the fight too. Ah well, I don't have to worry about invading Black Phantoms in the Halloween event then.

:)

I killed my first invading black phantom yesterday! I almost run into him, but it seems that certain a cloaking spell + certain anti bp ring + certain miracle do help :D (he did not see me, even when I was hitting him he was obviously very confused). Do not even know if they stack up, I had them active anyway ;) .

How much does the 1-4 boss drop when you kill him ?

I can't remember very well, but probably around 30k for 1st game run. It can't compete with 4-2 soul farming in efficiency though. It's more like a fun way to earn some souls when you have 2 to 3 people around level 100 going at him together. Well, at least it was fun until I was introduced to New Game+. ;) New Game+ yield quite a lot more souls, but still at least 100k short of compensating for my loss. If I remembered my stats before and after correctly, I was sucked by his spell a total of 3 times and lost 6 levels or so in helping New Game+ players.

Apart from losing levels, in my case, I also lost a miracle slot and hence a miracle spell because my faith was decreased. Since I'd already killed the miracle teachers, I could no longer change what miracle to equip even if I push my faith back up before New Game+.

:)

I killed my first invading black phantom yesterday! I almost run into him, but it seems that certain a cloaking spell + certain anti bp ring + certain miracle do help :D (he did not see me, even when I was hitting him he was obviously very confused). Do not even know if they stack up, I had them active anyway ;) .

The wiki says those rings and miracle do stack up. People with invasion experience may be able to tell what it's like for a black phantom.

Looks like the worlds are 'fairly gloomy' in my estimation, but unless I'm reading these archstones wrong, it doesn't look like the Halloween event on its own will bring your game into 'pure' black.

Looks like the worlds are 'fairly gloomy' in my estimation, but unless I'm reading these archstones wrong, it doesn't look like the Halloween event on its own will bring your game into 'pure' black.

I'm at pure black. It does change back towards neutral if you keep playing for a while so you may need to sign out and sign back in to reset it back to pbwt.

Pure black looks like pure black right? Not like dark grey archstones with visible features, yeah? If I go by images in the link Patsu provided earlier in the thread, I think my worlds are at sub-neutral... I may have missed the true 'pure black' phase of things since I only started playing later in the day.

Pure black is almost a solid black, but you don't need pure black to get the pbwt events to occur. Last night I had pure black tendency and the archstones were much lighter than they are today.

You may want to visit 4-1 again... :devilish:

Back