PS3 = 512Mbit XDR-DRAM (and Nintendo to adopt XDR-DRAM?)

I do not really care if they go with eDRAM, shared RAM, or a separate GPU pool. My concern is that if the total system memory is 256MB + 64MB of eDRAM you are looking at a very small pool for textures.

If we are looking at the new consoles having advanced AI, extremely dynamic levels with many items having physics based properties, huge meshes with millions upon millions of verticies, normal maps and high res mip map textures we are talking about needing substantially more memory than the current consoles. Xbox has 64MB of memory, so we are talking about cramming a ton more info into the general RAM and a requirement for more textures to keep pace with larger worlds with more detail--all on HDTV. Games take a hit just trying to make textures look good at HDTV, add on top of that all additional needs advanced games need and I still think memory is going to be an issue if 256MB is the final decision.

Remember, we are no longer talking about 480i as the baseline. How many of us play computer games at 640x480? Next gen consoles are built around HDTV (720p is baseline I would guess) and working on PC Monitors (Nintendo has already made statements that their new systems will work on monitors and I think MS also had some leaks that indicate the same). Higher resolutions exploit the lack of high quality textures and it looks nasty.

It is nice to have all the power of CELL and XeCPU and the ATi/nVidia GPUs, but without enough memory to have large, interactive, diverse, colorful, sharp worlds it is kind of pointless. It is just me, but I am tired of low res textures that look nasty up close. As great as the D3, HL2, and FarCry Engines are the boring/low res textures get old. Shaders will help some, but what happens when you want 500 people on screen with different clothing?

But MSN (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) know this, so hopefully they are doing things behind the scenes to help memory limitations. Whatever they can do to help developers is a good thing.

london-boy said:
Ok, and i take it those advantages are only available when holding the framebuffer on eDRAM?

If you want to render a large number of poligons you need a lot of bandwidth between framebuffer and system logic i think that in PS3 GPU we'll see 32 Mb of EDRAM and an incredible amount of bandwidth.
EDRAM is the only suitable solution..imho...i'm completely sure that scea engineers are working with NVIDIA to add EDRAM to NV6x architecture.

The only way eDRAM will work is if they rip out vertex shaders from the NV6x, as well as the video processor, but add in a virtualization mechanism, so that the GPU is responsible for on-demand flushing and loading data from external memory.

Otherwise, its just yet another complexity added to what is already a difficult to program system.

But IMHO, using eDRAM for the frame buffer, but letting it texture or fetch textures from the main system XDR ram is just lowering CELL's bandwidth, introducing alot of bus contention, and wasting system RAM which now must hold textures, instead of holding datastructures and code.

Many PC games now use 64-100mb of textures per level, and with only 256mb of RAM, the PS3 will be starved for space.

Since NVidia only has a few months to finish the NV6x/PS3 GPU, I have a hard time believing they're going to change anything except for the bus/memory interface (PCI-Express/DDR -> FlexIO/XDR)

DemoCoder:
So... you are thinking the CPU and GPU will each have it's own 256MB of XDR RAM, with ~25GB/s of bandwidth?

Current GPUs have over 30gb/s bandwidth, so to have both CELL and CELLGPU sharing a single, 25gb/s unified memory bus is a step backwards from the NV4x and R42x from ATI and Nvidia. Why ship a system that is supposed to be next-gen with a mondo CPU, but with previous generation graphics?

If the PS3 GPU is the NV5x and if it were shipped for PC desktops, you can bet that it would be shipped with over 40-50gb/s of RAM bandwidth on the PCI-E card.

Only 256 MB of DRAM would totally suck. I hope all next-gen consoles get 512 Megabytes or more. Raise the freaking cost of the consoles to $399 or $349. It's all about spin control in the media. If magazine editors pushed the higher cost off as a good thing, consumers wouldn't balk at the higher price.

Brimstone, memory costs tend to be biggest problem later(as prices get lower), not early on.

Democoder said:
Many PC games now use 64-100mb of textures per level, and with only 256mb of RAM, the PS3 will be starved for space.
Fighting memory limitations in consoles is a fact of life though - 512MB won't make that go away either, although it would of course be nice to have it.

PC games aren't exactly the best benchmark for resource utilization either....

Brimstone said:
Only 256 MB of DRAM would totally suck. I hope all next-gen consoles get 512 Megabytes or more. Raise the freaking cost of the consoles to $399 or $349. It's all about spin control in the media. If magazine editors pushed the higher cost off as a good thing, consumers wouldn't balk at the higher price.

agreed. and even 512 MB is barely enough.

DemoCoder said:
Current GPUs have over 30gb/s bandwidth, so to have both CELL and CELLGPU sharing a single, 25gb/s unified memory bus is a step backwards from the NV4x and R42x from ATI and Nvidia. Why ship a system that is supposed to be next-gen with a mondo CPU, but with previous generation graphics?

If the PS3 GPU is the NV5x and if it were shipped for PC desktops, you can bet that it would be shipped with over 40-50gb/s of RAM bandwidth on the PCI-E card.

yeah. that's why if Sony was really going all-out, they would equip the CPU and GPU with 100+ GB/sec *each*.

I think PS3 is gonna be good, but I seriously doubt it'll blow Xenon out of the water.

Megadrive1988 said:
DemoCoder said:

yeah. that's why if Sony was really going all-out, they would equip the CPU and GPU with 100+ GB/sec *each*.

:oops: I wonder how the analyst who suggested the PS3 would sell between $500-$750 would adjust that number for a PS3 with 512MB of XDR for the CPU and 512MB of XDR for the GPU.

I hope Sony can launch at $300 because there is a chance I would pick one up at launch if they did. If it comes with 2-4 CELLs and 512MB I am on board! ;)

Acert93 said:
:oops: I wonder how the analyst who suggested the PS3 would sell between $500-$750 would adjust that number for a PS3 with 512MB of XDR for the CPU and 512MB of XDR for the GPU.

I hope Sony can launch at $300 because there is a chance I would pick one up at launch if they did. If it comes with 2-4 CELLs and 512MB I am on board! ;)

NO!! Bad BAD Acert93!!!
You do NOT buy consoles at launch, especially new consoles with completely new and unproven tech like PS3 is going to be. ;)

NO!! Bad BAD Acert93!!!
You do NOT buy consoles at launch, especially new consoles with completely new and unproven tech like PS3 is going to be. ;)

But... but... but... its shiny and has a spinning logo! I want, I want! And... and... and it is like a Supercomputer and is outlawed in like freaking China and has lasers coming out of its eyes!

I am sure Dr. Evil is gonna have a blast with his PS3... it could actually be the straw that breaks the camels back. He may actually make his $1M, unless that is the PS3 sticker price of course ;)

Acert93 said:
NO!! Bad BAD Acert93!!!

But... but... but... its shiny and has a spinning logo! I want, I want! And... and... and it is like a Supercomputer and is outlawed in like freaking China and has lasers coming out of its eyes!

I am sure Dr. Evil is gonna have a blast with his PS3... it could actually be the straw that breaks the camels back. He may actually make his $1M, unless that is the PS3 sticker price of course ;)

ONE MILLLLLLION DOLLARS!!!???????? No way, that's just.... waaaay too much. :devilish:

Megadrive1988 said:
Brimstone said:

agreed. and even 512 MB is barely enough.

Barely enough using what logic? Using what as a benchmark?

What alternative designs can you offer that will allow them to manufacture the PS3 for it's target price over the next 6 - 8 years?

256 MB would be fine, as fine as any of the other compromises they're going to have to make in order to put the machine out.

What would u choose, 512MB (instead of 256) or 4PEs (instead of 2)? :devilish: (assuming they're mutually exclusive)

In english:

512MB and 2PEs (16 SPEs)
or
256MB and 4PEs (32 SPEs)
???

london-boy said:
What would u choose, 512MB (instead of 256) or 4PEs (instead of 2)? :devilish: (assuming they're mutually exclusive)

In english:

512MB and 2PEs (16 SPEs)
or
256MB and 4PEs (32 SPEs)
???

That probably should read:

512MB and 1PEs (8 SPEs)
or
256MB and 2PEs (16 SPEs)

;)

Tommy McClain

Back