TSMC warns of excessive chip inventory

Yeah but this isn't the case in the USA.

To be pedantic, since everything is a forced bundle it is more expensive in the US too.

Also, it's more expensive everywhere else, which I assume is also seeing improved availability too.

GPU market sales Q3 2022 the lowest in a decade

"The third quarter is usually the high point of the year for the GPU and PC suppliers, and even though the suppliers had guided down in Q2, the results came much below their expectations," said Jon Peddie, president of JPR.

Last edited:
Yeah, discrete GPU sales took a massive hit in shipments. I don't remember it being remotely this bad after the last crypto crash. Probably because this one isn't just due to the crypto crashing but inflation and fears of a recession as well.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, discrete GPU sales took a massive hit in shipments. I don't remember it being remotely this bad after the last crypto crash. Probably because this one isn't just due to the crypto crashing but inflation and fears of a recession as well.

Regards,
SB
Also the new cards don't really give much value over the last generation of cards. So add in all 3 to the mix and your cooking with fire

Also the new cards don't really give much value over the last generation of cards. So add in all 3 to the mix and your cooking with fire

Really the same was said for Turing as well.

Eg. TPUs review of the 2080 ti -

• The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition is priced at $1,200, which is nearly double that of its predecessor at launch.

RTX 2080 - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition/38.html
  • High price

Perf/$ chart, worse than Pascal - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition/35.html

Actually if we step back and look at it, 4xxx seems to be offering more raw value. Albeit you could say the feature set improvement is not as dramatic.

The mining cycle was much longer this time. The other issue is that isn't just that demand is down but the comparison point itself was inflated as well. Mining and the pandemic pushed GPU demand much higher than they would've been.

Really the same was said for Turing as well.

Eg. TPUs review of the 2080 ti -

RTX 2080 - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition/38.html

Perf/$ chart, worse than Pascal - https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition/35.html

Actually if we step back and look at it, 4xxx seems to be offering more raw value. Albeit you could say the feature set improvement is not as dramatic.

The mining cycle was much longer this time. The other issue is that isn't just that demand is down but the comparison point itself was inflated as well. Mining and the pandemic pushed GPU demand much higher than they would've been.

Could be. I went vega to 3080 which I think was a great step up for the $700. I don't think 3080 to 4080 is a good deal as it stands right now. Maybe if the 4080 was $700-800 I would have gone right for it.

Could be. I went vega to 3080 which I think was a great step up for the $700. I don't think 3080 to 4080 is a good deal as it stands right now. Maybe if the 4080 was $700-800 I would have gone right for it.

2 generation? (not sure which Vega, also generation were not as aligned with AMD/Nvidia during that time) step up plus the cost jump was mostly loaded into Turing/2xxx. If we just look at Nvida for example the last cost jump points were Kepler/6xx than flat through Turing/2xxx which was another jump and now Ada/4xxx. Blackwell?/5xxx could well be more flat, especially as general inflation/cost increases are reversing. This could create a similar situation in that 3xxx buyers will find 5xxx cards as offering value.

Interestingly related to the above both the Kepler and Turing price increases also offered refreshes part way through their generations that brought prices down (7xx and Super series).

I'm not sure what Nvidia's current internal metrics are but in the past they've mentioned that they effectively feel the majority of the upgrade cycle comes from 2 generation buyers. Single generation buyers are likely way overrepresented in the enthusiast sub demographic but is not the norm regardless of product improvements.

2 generation? (not sure which Vega, also generation were not as aligned with AMD/Nvidia during that time) step up plus the cost jump was mostly loaded into Turing/2xxx. If we just look at Nvida for example the last cost jump points were Kepler/6xx than flat through Turing/2xxx which was another jump and now Ada/4xxx. Blackwell?/5xxx could well be more flat, especially as general inflation/cost increases are reversing. This could create a similar situation in that 3xxx buyers will find 5xxx cards as offering value.

Interestingly related to the above both the Kepler and Turing price increases also offered refreshes part way through their generations that brought prices down (7xx and Super series).

I'm not sure what Nvidia's current internal metrics are but in the past they've mentioned that they effectively feel the majority of the upgrade cycle comes from 2 generation buyers. Single generation buyers are likely way overrepresented in the enthusiast sub demographic but is not the norm regardless of product improvements.

I had a vega 56. I paid $370 for it I think. It came out during the 10x0 generation. So I skipped the 2x00 generation and went to the 3x00 generation. The jump to the 4x00 generation doesn't seem worth while to me so I will skip and go to the 5x00 generation which would match what I did last time. Hopefully the 5x00 generation of rdna 4 or something will provide enough of a jump for me.

I personally don't care much for refreshes so I skip the TI / super generations unless there is a really good deal. It also looks like I will have to drop from the X080 series down to the x070 series with the way pricing is. Hopefully performance will be high enough for the price by the time I am ready to buy.

The big titles I am looking forward too is starfield , diablo , avowed , fable , elderscrolls and a few mmos out there

Back