PS2 outselling XBox 360

This was posted on yahoo yesterday:

Microsoft To Miss XBox 360 Production Targets By As Much As 25%

Carl Howe (Blackfriars Communications) submits: Colin Sebastian at Lazard Capital Markets has warned that he expects Microsoft's (NASDAQ: MSFT - News) XBox 360 shipments to only total 4.5 million for the year, instead of the 5 million expected. That says to me that the XBox 360 marketing plan is fading fast.

Why? People forget that the original projection for XBox 360 sales was for 5.5 to 6 million within six months of launch. That projection was re-iterated in January this year, but extended out to 5.5 million by July. And now, we're looking at 4.5 million for the year. Ouch.

We'll know more after Microsoft announces earnings tomorrow. But many analysts were originally projecting that there would be 8 or 9 million XBox 360s in the market before Playstation ever launched. If these numbers are correct, it says that sales aren't living up to projections. And with two new competing consoles launching next month, this story isn't going to improve a lot without a serious marketing push to compete. Suddenly, that one-year lead Microsoft had on Sony (NYSE: SNE - News) doesn't look like such a big advantage after all.

Link: http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061025/19252_id.html?.v=1

Ouch !
I was expecting a little turbulence, but not this sharp drop.
MS better do something, or PS3 will own them by this time next year...

Well we'll see what happens, but I'm glad you're all seeing reason to adopt my disdain for analysts! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
NDP reports 670,000 units for the past 3 months. If we adjust the number, calculating that they only measure 80% of the US market, this gives us about 830-840 thousand consoles. If the worldwide number is only a million, then something is going wrong in Europe.

MS has sent out their earnings release for Q1 - it indicates they sold just 1m 360s in the quarter (compared to 1.8m the previous). Worldwide LTD is now 6m.

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/FY07/earn_rel_q1_07.mspx

edit - Gamasutra reports 900k sold in the quarter, from the conference call:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11441

I was basing 1m on the ~5m WW figure given at the end of the Q4 - I guess it was really 5.1m.

As a whole the company exceeded expectations with a profit rise of 11% in the quarter. Sony profit was down 94% for the same Q, the battery recall really killed them.

Sony lost 369 million in the gaming division last Q on PS3 R&D, which, is on pace to just lose almost 2 billion in a single year.

I'm now trying to dig any MS gaming division figures out. Anybody have any clue? All I know is Sony cowboy said they changed divisions so it's harder to tell, but I'm trying to discern something. I'm theorizing by not price dropping they are losing a lot less in the Xbox division, but I dont have any numbers as yet to back that up.

Def a poor Xbox shipped quarter from MS. It looks like a correction quarter for oversupply. Now the question is can they ship 4m next Q to hit the 10m target? I dont know, if US sold through for 4Q are 1.5m, I can only see them needing maybe 2.5 shipped WW, so it looks tough from here, unless they get a solid holiday, which I guess is possible.

NDP reports 670,000 units for the past 3 months. If we adjust the number, calculating that they only measure 80% of the US market, this gives us about 830-840 thousand consoles. If the worldwide number is only a million, then something is going wrong in Europe.

There could be oversupply from previous Q's, though.

Also I'm not sure about figuring NPD only captures 80% of the US market, doesn't that defeat the point of NPD? I thought they work hard to best guess 100%. Now, there's some theory they do undercount, because for example NPD PS2 sales are well under Sony's shipped numbers (something like 6 million under lifetime).

What you can safely do is add 5-10% to NPD for Canada, though, at least, because shipments are generally to "North America" and NPD only counts USA. The Canadian videogame market, is 5-10% of USA (I'd guess closer to 10% for X360 purposes from what little Canada data I've seen) .

Something probably has "gone wrong" in Europe. However 360 does well on particularly the weekly/monthly British software charts that we get, and even some of the other European countries to a lesser extent, so I reject the total disaster some will claim.
________
Iolite vaporizer ireland

Here's the actual earnings:

http://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net/msft/earnings/FY07/earn_rel_q1_07.mspx

Home and Entertainment is no more, so Xbox earnings have to be viewed twofold; firstly the 'core' of it will be accounted for in Devices and Entertainment, and another aspect of it will be accounted for under 'Online Business Services,' which covers Live.

Now, respectively the losses were $96 and $134 million at both of those divisions, but the later includes more than just Live also, so hard to get a clear picture. Live could be a net positive for all we know there.

Anyway, here's a PR blurb out of the report:

Entertainment and Devices Division revenue growth of 70% over the prior year was driven by demand for Xbox 360™ consoles, software, peripherals, and Xbox Live®. Xbox 360 has sold 6 million consoles worldwide life to date and achieved record cumulative attach rates for software and peripherals in the United States, while Xbox Live passed the four million member mark during the quarter.

EDIT: So six million then on the penetration, but earnings/losses figures better than I expected. (It's that accessory pricing!)

Something probably has "gone wrong" in Europe. However 360 does well on particularly the weekly/monthly British software charts that we get, and even some of the other European countries to a lesser extent, so I reject the total disaster some will claim.

Really? The last few times I checked the UK charts, it was very strongly PS2 dominated.

Here's the actual earnings:

http://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net/msft/earnings/FY07/earn_rel_q1_07.mspx

Home and Entertainment is no more, so Xbox earnings have to be viewed twofold; firstly the 'core' of it will be accounted for in Devices and Entertainment, and another aspect of it will be accounted for under 'Online Business Services,' which covers Live.

Now, respectively the losses were $96 and $134 million at both of those divisions, but the later includes more than just Live also, so hard to get a clear picture. Live could be a net positive for all we know there.

Anyway, here's a PR blurb out of the report:

EDIT: So six million then on the penetration, but earnings/losses figures better than I expected. (It's that accessory pricing!)

They're not taking heavy losses. Much less than I expected in the first year of production. With the die shrinks to Xenon and Xenos, plus any other hardware costs savings, I'll be curious to see how next year turns out.

They really seemed to have started a trend with accessories. With the high markup on accessories it's a great way for them to recoup the loss per console and later on, generate pure profit.

I agree, it's a good number. The die shrinks next year should give them some decent room to maneuver in terms of pricing. At the same time though, the previous two quarters saw losses of $388 and $437 in Devices and Entertainment respectively, so I wonder if the reduced losses don't in part simply have to do with the reduced volumes shipping.

Now, respectively the losses were $96 and $134 million at both of those divisions, but the later includes more than just Live also, so hard to get a clear picture.
Also, I believe Zune startup costs are in the D&E division, which I would expect to be a non-trivial portion of that 96 million.

MS has sent out their earnings release for Q1 - it indicates they sold just 1m 360s in the quarter (compared to 1.8m the previous). Worldwide LTD is now 6m.

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/FY07/earn_rel_q1_07.mspx

6 million as of the end of September, probably 2-2.5 million more in the US alone between October 1 and January 1, leaving 1.5-2 million for the rest of the world through the Christmas holidays.

The Blue Dragon bundle has brought in good sales in Japan for a change, and the 360 is now in around a dozen other countries outside of Europe, Japan and North America.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't hit their target.

I agree, it's a good number. The die shrinks next year should give them some decent room to maneuver in terms of pricing. At the same time though, the previous two quarters saw losses of $388 and $437 in Devices and Entertainment respectively, so I wonder if the reduced losses don't in part simply have to do with the reduced volumes shipping.

So on the whole do you get more clarity to Xbox financials with this new arrangement or less? The thing is it's tough to tell out of all that goes in these divisions, what's profitable and what's not. For example, are the Xbox only losses in D&E likely to be far less or more than 96m? In other words, is the rest of the division a big profit or loss or break even? And I dont have a clue, but somebody might have an idea.

There may be pretty big Zune R&D expenses, but I'm sure ms is NOT going to be treating Zune hardware as a loss leader like the Xbox.

Also, they shipped supposedly 900k, versus 1.7m or so previous Q's, so yeah it could be a big part, maybe half, the difference, but not all, because the losses should be around half as much going by strictly volume, but they're actually like 1/4.
________
HOW TO ROLL BLUNTS

Back