Project: Spark [XO]

Linkin Park "Guilty All The Same" (feat. Rakim)
Made Entirely With Project Spark

"Here it is: our collaboration with Project Spark. Instead of a traditional music Video for GUILTY ALL THE SAME (feat. Rakim), we are giving you this as a starting line for you guys to create and share. This is the first interactive, remixable game. We look forward to seeing what you make with it." - Joe

Create. Share. Dance. Repeat.

Tommy McClain

ugc-481464-large.jpg

Guilty all the Same
http://www.projectspark.com/#world?id=481464

ugc-480788-large.jpg

Music Remix Station by LinkinSpark
http://www.projectspark.com/#world?id=480788

Linkin Park "Guilty All The Same" (feat. Rakim)
Made Entirely With Project Spark

Tommy McClain
That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing. The video feels odd at times for a Linkin Park song, but some parts are spectacular. It certainly gives an original touch to your typical music video.

It gives you an idea on how Project Spark isn't limited to just a few applications, it can have many uses.

I have decided to upgrade to Win 8 for this. Some questions:

1) Is the beta open to all now? Will the full game be f2p too or will it be paid?
2) How good is it as a tool to teach game development to non programmers and 3d artists? Can it work as a viable tool to introduce students to game development?
3)Can we import our own 3D assets or are we stuck with what the game provides and what can be sculpted inside?
4) Can I , if I want, make a level of say Doom 3 or HL2 or Rayman in there?

I am seriously thinking of suggesting this as a learning tool to the university I have recently joined as a Senior Trainer for their subject dealing with Intro to game development.

I'm by no means an expert and honestly only messed with the tutorial sections, but based on what I know, I'll try to answer.

1) Yes, it's available to everyone now. See answer to question 3.
2) I don't think it will do much for programmers and artists. More geared towards thinking about level design, gameplay mechanics, world rules, player behavior, etc.
3) Cannot import your own assets, and while the game is F2P, additional assets must either be purchased as microtrans or using in game credit. Terrain, etc. can be sculpted and you can apply custom animations to characters using Kinect.
4) Sure, although I'm not sure you can do interior spaces or texture/skin assets in the way you might be thinking.

As a learning tool for intro to game development in college I think it would do well. Kode is pretty versatile. "Brain" programming can get get pretty in-depth. Lots of different ways for students to come up with interesting ways to solve different issues.

Tommy McClain

I'm by no means an expert and honestly only messed with the tutorial sections, but based on what I know, I'll try to answer.

1) Yes, it's available to everyone now. See answer to question 3.
2) I don't think it will do much for programmers and artists. More geared towards thinking about level design, gameplay mechanics, world rules, player behavior, etc.
3) Cannot import your own assets, and while the game is F2P, additional assets must either be purchased as microtrans or using in game credit. Terrain, etc. can be sculpted and you can apply custom animations to characters using Kinect.
4) Sure, although I'm not sure you can do interior spaces or texture/skin assets in the way you might be thinking.

Thanx a lot. So, all that is needed is an upgrade to Win8. Which itself is also an issue as the university is running licensed Win 7 everywhere.

As a learning tool for intro to game development in college I think it would do well. Kode is pretty versatile. "Brain" programming can get get pretty in-depth. Lots of different ways for students to come up with interesting ways to solve different issues.

Tommy McClain

Yeah. These students are already learning 3D animation/assets development. My thought behind it is that students can understand game development and its processes easily to without worrying about thorough coding or spending months on 3d assets. The concept of what is different in game development v/s working on animation films can be showcased easily and in an accessible manner. The fact that their ideas are easier to implement here than in Unity/Unreal makes for an encouraging environment for the students. They might find out that they like doing this and get motivated to learn more and may choose the subject for their masters.

I hope the game is not too limiting or limited. need to try it out myself. Need Win 8.

I hope the game is not too limiting or limited. need to try it out myself. Need Win 8.

Just realize it is a game & not something like XNA or Unity. It's basically a big sandbox game. So there are limitations put on it. But I think it has a way of letting you know how much of budget you have for things. Also, I wouldn't pass up the XB1 version. There are things you can do there you can't do on Win8 like Kinect support. Also, don't forget that they announced support for Xbox 360 too. They just haven't announced when it's coming. I suspect late this year.

Tommy McClain

Official release date: October 7

14605324012_e9bf0cbd22.jpg

At that time, we’ll also be making an Xbox One disc edition of Project Spark available at retail for $39.99 USD. The “Project Spark Starter Pack” is loaded with great content, including starter packs filled with sounds, effects, animations, and props, plus advanced creator features, offline content, and experience boosts which allow players to unlock new content that much faster.

For those of you who prefer digital download, all the content included in the disc version will be available digitally for Xbox One and Windows 8.1 on launch day.

http://majornelson.com/2014/07/08/project-spark-officially-launches-in-october/?linkId=8757048

“Project Spark Starter Pack,” the Xbox One retail version of the game that has put the powers of creation and play in the hands of gamers, will arrive in stores on October 7 in the Americas, October 9 in Asia-Pacific countries and October 10 in Europe.

The retail package will deliver an incredible collection of premium content for $39.99, including the first sci-fi pack “Galaxies: First Contact,” the warrior champion Sir Haakon “Hawk” the Knight, “Champions Quest: Void Storm,” the first episode of an epic campaign adventure, and more. The “Project Spark Starter Pack” will provide immediate access to some of the best paid content, features and add-ons in a single package. All of the content included in the disc version will also be available digitally for Xbox One and Windows 8.1 on launch day.

“Project Spark” has made a name for itself as one of the most unique, innovative games available, and can be downloaded for free on Xbox One and Windows 8.1. Players can then expand their experience by purchasing additional in-game content. The beta has been going strong since December of last year, and with the launch of the “Project Spark Starter Pack” the game will officially move out of beta to full release.

Don’t fret, creators – if you’ve been playing, creating, unlocking and enjoying the existing beta on Windows 8.1 or Xbox One, the game will simply receive an update, so your credits, creations and favorite levels will remain intact. And if you haven’t been playing, what are you waiting for? Go download it today from the Xbox One marketplace or Windows 8 Store!

http://news.xbox.com/2014/07/games-project-spark-starter-pack

An Xbox 360 version of Project Spark was initially announced, but no mention of it is made here. When asked about it, a Microsoft representative told us: "We absolutely plan to bring Project Spark to Xbox 360. Our team is focused on creating a great experience on Xbox One and Windows 8.1 first, and will then bring that to Xbox 360. We don't have a timeline to share right now, but it's certainly on our roadmap."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-08-project-spark-release-date-set-for-october

Tommy McClain

I wish this was a two pack. I really like building on my surface and would love to play on my xbox one but I don't want to buy twice

I wish this was a two pack. I really like building on my surface and would love to play on my xbox one but I don't want to buy twice

Project Spark is actually free on both systems. The only thing you buy are Packs or other DLC(that's what's included in the Starter Pack that you're actually paying for). These are tied to your Xbox account. So if you purchase content on one system it's usable on the other system. So there's no need for a two pack.

Tommy McClain

I have not messed with this world in a long time, but if anyone wants to look at the Kode to see if you can use any of it feel free.

World Link

It has some puzzle code, conversation code, drawbridge, a throw back to Space Quest 1, monster tiny fish, a secret area that I need to finish but ran out of objects during beta. Map kode that I put in real quickly, so that is not polished yet.

Real
I was building a blimp that you could drive away from the floating island to explore other islands, but quickly reached the max object limit and had to give up. Was a bummer as that blimp was made from kite parts that took more than few nights to complete. Once you find the underground area I was going to have it parked in there. Add another puzzle to open the gates so you can fly it out.

I guess I need to see if they upped the max object budget yet.

/Is this a necro thread bump? ;)

So, this game runs rather terribly for you guys right? On PC and on X1?

I'm curious to see if this game received a swift up-kick in performance if optimized for DX12.

Smooth as silk on PC for me, and hiccups on X1 depending what is going on. Tablet is a bit rough for sure. On X1 it is better now than it was at launch.

Some cool stuff.
:oops::oops:I have the game but I haven't touched it in a long time, alas. Not because I don't want to.

I remember a time when a deluge of excellent games happened only around Christmas, but now..it occurs all year long.

I still think they missed an opportunity to monetize this in a different way. I could have been XNA Lite, use Project Spark to create full games, sell them on a marketplace for $.50 and up for example. MS keeps 20%, Dakota gets 10%, we get 70%. Sell the content packs to the developers, while not requiring the players to own content. I guess it would bring up the question of to demo or not as well.

Back