Project: Spark [XO]

Looks like a very capable progression of the open LBP creation format. The editor is very reminiscent of ModNation Racers, and you can see how the interfaces are (pretty obviously) derived from existing game development tools. The interface at first glance seems a little more overwhelming than LBP, but LBP's cutesy graphics for representing logic and functions get very muddly after a spell so this is actually the better way for any sophisticated, I'm sure. And of course this doesn't have the engine limitations of LBP so can cater for a wider range of games without trying to bend the platform into shapes it wasn't really designed for.

To differentiate from other creation platforms, I'd like to see MS really go to town with Kinect for object scanning etc., but that might be unrealistic. Have they demo's skeleton tracking for recording animations? That'd be pretty awesome.

I'm also curious how they deal with the content management side of things. With LBP and ModNation Racers and Kodu and whatever else there's been, there have been plenty of reference materials for designing better social platforms. I felt LBP was pretty lacking in that regard, and ended up with a lot of content disappearing from public view, swamped by so much stuff. Managing that environment so good creations gain prominence is one of the major challenges.

Looks like the original post might need to be updated since Xbox 360 support might be included...

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/e3-project-spark-qa

Tommy McClain

We are getting this on Windows too? and free?

It definitely looks like the next step after LBp, but the demo with them talking in a very fake away made me skeptical. But of course, even if they were just talking over a video, which in all respects it seemed like it, the tool itself will definitely work well with mouse and KB inputs ! This could be really awesome IF they offer some very easy ways to make those AIs they showed. I don't want generic worlds made in 10 minutes but after having seen what people can do in LBP2, it will be a treat to see people make worlds out of this :D !

and if it is available on WIndows too and for free, this would definitely get a massive boost ! What are they going for , microtransactions? Paid DLC?

UI was expecting something on these lines from Media Molecule this E3. A proper 3D game builder but with their amazing panache,.

@Shifty: THe modnation editor was very very easy to use witha controller, but being limited to just creating race tracks helped in that a lot, but also made sure that the novelty of using it faded off quickly. LBP is also very complicated once you actually start making levels in it. Will keep an eye on SPark !

free for windows 8?

:(

im still on windows 7 and been using W8 (on VM) only for developing games. I dont want to play Spark on VM :(

free for windows 8?

im still on windows 7 and been using W8 (on VM) only for developing games. I dont want to play Spark on VM :(

I am also on win7, the weird videos of the panels interface of Win8 doesn't make me upgrade. I looks like a touch interface with big panels and what not. Why would i want any such thing with a precise pointer as a mouse with 1600dpi accuracy ?

Does Win 8 also have a normal windows mode? Like with no panels and all

I felt LBP was pretty lacking in that regard, and ended up with a lot of content disappearing from public view, swamped by so much stuff. Managing that environment so good creations gain prominence is one of the major challenges.

Was it really though? I thought it was just about perfect. The whole thing of being able to promote levels on websites and then queue them to your in-game playlist straight from your browser alone pretty much makes it perfect, allowing for great community management from any website. All the other lists available in-game and online, Mm picks, best this week/month, etc., most played, checking out what your friends played, and so on and so forth, even 'jump into a random level' - I wouldn't know what to ask for more.

It improved a lot towards the end, but a lot of good stuff went unplayed. For a long time (and it may still be true) LBP favoured promoting already popular levels, weighting in favour of total number of views rather than scores relative to number of plays. A new level could be fabulous, get 100% likes and hearts, but because it wasn't getting many visits, never hit the best-seller lists.

The major problem is sheer amount of content, for which I suggested maybe the promoted lists could be randomised for users, so instead of a few levels getting thousands and thousands of plays, more levels would get promoted with less plays. Players could still find and play levels others recommended, but you wouldn't have the total domination and you'd have a better feedback for more creators.

This becomes increasingly important as the construction tools become more capable. It'll be possible for someone to make a super-duper-uber experience, and then other creations (that may be just as good) won't get a look in, unless the player time is distributed more evenly.

free for windows 8?

There was an offer to upgrade your current Windows OS -be it XP, Vista, or 7- to Windows 8 from October to late February and the upgrade only cost 30€. I think it was really worth it.

I am also on win7, the weird videos of the panels interface of Win8 doesn't make me upgrade. I looks like a touch interface with big panels and what not. Why would i want any such thing with a precise pointer as a mouse with 1600dpi accuracy ?

Does Win 8 also have a normal windows mode? Like with no panels and all

Win 8 has a normal desktop mode, but currently it doesn't default to that. Right now it boots straight to the Live Tile/WinRT Start Page. But that will change with Win8.1(aka Blue) where they will give you the option to boot to desktop mode & also bring back the Start Page button. I've used it a little. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be. I think Win8.1 is the right direction for better short-term adoption though. But eventually with all machines going touch I think long-term it won't matter. I think desktop will matter less & less as time goes on. With that said if you can upgrade for cheap I would do it. Especially if you're planning on being a Xbox One owner.

Tommy McClain

Win 8 has a normal desktop mode, but currently it doesn't default to that. Right now it boots straight to the Live Tile/WinRT Start Page. But that will change with Win8.1(aka Blue) where they will give you the option to boot to desktop mode & also bring back the Start Page button. I've used it a little. It's not as bad as some people make it out to be. I think Win8.1 is the right direction for better short-term adoption though. But eventually with all machines going touch I think long-term it won't matter. I think desktop will matter less & less as time goes on. With that said if you can upgrade for cheap I would do it. Especially if you're planning on being a Xbox One owner.

Tommy McClain

If you have multiple monitors it boots to both. :) And is easy to see that the Start Screen is just an overlay over the desktop.

And definitely agree on upgrading to Win8 (whether you wait for 8.1 to hit or not) as the improvements over Win7 are tremendous, IMO.

Regards,
SB

This interview is awesome...and it shows off the jrpg game someone made with Project Spark at E3 that we've all been hearing about! :D

^^The lead designer there starts showing off games at 5:30 in the vid.

This interview is awesome...and it shows off the jrpg game someone made with Project Spark at E3 that we've all been hearing about! :D

AWESOME ! :p Hmm...will need to ask friends about their Win 8 experience !

Project Spark is definitely my #1 "game" of next gen consoles now. Especially after seeing that game level someone created with realtime deformable terrain.

My mind is boggled just thinking about the possibilities people will come up with for this. Fully destructible terrain and buildings? Something that no one has really tried since that one game set on Mars that I can't remember. Now toss in doing that into any game type/genre (RTS YES!). Add in in-game housing that you can build yourself.

I hope someone makes a modern day Populous!

Actually screw that. I hope someone makes a modern day Magic Carpet!!! OMG, I would totally spooge if that happened.

Hell, with how easy it is to create the terrain I might just dabble in this myself.

Regards,
SB

Project Spark is definitely my #1 "game" of next gen consoles now. Especially after seeing that game level someone created with realtime deformable terrain.

My mind is boggled just thinking about the possibilities people will come up with for this. Fully destructible terrain and buildings? Something that no one has really tried since that one game set on Mars that I can't remember. Now toss in doing that into any game type/genre (RTS YES!). Add in in-game housing that you can build yourself.

I hope someone makes a modern day Populous!

Actually screw that. I hope someone makes a modern day Magic Carpet!!! OMG, I would totally spooge if that happened.

Hell, with how easy it is to create the terrain I might just dabble in this myself.

Regards,
SB
Some of the custom levels that some people made are just awesome.

The developers responsible for producing Project Spark, -the Dakota Team- have held a Live twitch TV session showcasing a video featuring more than 40 minutes of gameplay of Project Spark.

It just goes to show how robust the game creation tools are and how solid the world is too, and you can craft your levels not only with the gamepad but also with Kinect. :smile:

The demonstration is running on Windows 8. The video starts showing the game with an empty and blank world, and the producers began to create an island with some trees around, hills, a waterfall, rocks, goblins and some buildings.

Project Spark is going to be available for free and the video show some incredible results at 37 minutes in. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a new video from this free to play creation suite, which takes you through the creation process of a tower defence game from scratch.

I didn't expect this game -or creation suit- could be that good when I first saw it.

Here is a new Community montage showing what people can do with this game. RPGs -either turn based RPGs or realtime RPGs-, beat em' ups, puzzle games, tower defence, FPSs, platform games, etc etc etc.

I think I got enamoured with it. Too bad it's not a launch game, I thought it was.

Back