Professionalism in public statements & spinning in a spin-off thread

"Simply cannot" means that the PS4 will never perform like a GTX980, not that it might be able to catch up. You're misunderstanding.

I also do not read that this guy is referring to the sales at any point, he's only referring to the relative power of the machines?
As I meant to say: Xbone will always be behind the PS4 this generation because it isn't as powerful.

I'm not misunderstanding, I'm reading verbatim (if I were to approve such a tweet). Simply cannot, is not the same as never. One does not simply walk to Mordor ;)

Well, that's interesting I never read it in that way. I read that he's saying the resolution/framerate will always be behind. You could be right there.

We're probably all reading way to much into an off-the-cuff statement.

One simply cannot motorcycle to Mordor since one does not have a motorcycle.

Well, that's interesting I never read it in that way. I read that he's saying the resolution/framerate will always be behind. You could be right there.

We're probably all reading way to much into an off-the-cuff statement.

One simply cannot motorcycle to Mordor since one does not have a motorcycle.
The issue with communications ;) I'm not saying you're wrong here. But PR as people describe it, is carefully crafted to be as simplistic as possible to get across direct messaging, or as obfuscated as possible.
It's clear Alan didn't clear this with his marketing team. It's crazy the number of approvals we go through just for a simple tweet. It almost seems wrong.

Guilty!

Going back to it, you might be ever so slightly more right than I initially thought :runaway:
I just wanted to post because I was bored at work (right before Xmas holidays not much is happening).
Reality is Andrew's post here: #22 is the thread ender.

A big part of professionalism to me is relationship management. There are public and private forums for this type of thing. I'm sure everyday MS is told how shitty their console is from developers; and they need to hear it. No need to air out that in the public space.

Unprofessional? Please.

Trump saying Clinton got schlonged is unprofessional.

This is a statement of fact and some people are just sensitive about it for the usual reasons.
What doese schlonged means? just curious...

I think it was somewhat unprofessional, not because he is saying Xbox One is weaker, but because he uses terms like "inferior horse" and saying that eventually (as in not now) this system will be worth owning. The latter comment is way off in what someone like him should be saying and the first comment is poor wording to get the message across.

Had he simply said that the Xbox One version runs at a lower resolution due to lower performing GPU or something wishy washy like "both console versions are balanced/optimized to the systems capabilities etc. That would have been imo professional way to state the truth, but when you mix in stuff like inferior horse and imply that the console isn't worth owning, you kind of walk past the line.

If only I was paid royalties for every time someone used that term.

Reactions: NRP
It's a statement of fact based on their experience with the hardware, and it's something that has been well documented for quite a while.
The question of professionalism is whether one should speak about it so openly in such terms. "Professional" doesn't mean "right". It means conducted according to the (oft unwritten) rules on one's profession. Personally I see a lot of professional behaviour as inhuman, asking people to contort their natural behaviour to fit artificial limitations and often generating a lot of pointless, unhealthy stress as a result, but 'professionalism' is still a thing one has to be wary of if one wants to keep one's job and one's employer wants professionalism - some are far more relaxed.

In light of Shifty's definition of professionalism, I've changed my stance on this.

I can agree that some of his comments come across a tad unprofessional, mainly due to how easily they can be misinterpreted.

On the other hand though, I still maintain there's nothing there for anyone to get hot under th collar about. Unless you're his employer
or MisterXMedia
, nothing he said there should really matter to you.

Yep. After iroboto's post i actually read everything in the OP (hey I'm busy!) as I had only seen the part about horses and not all the rest.

Tad unprofessional, yes.

The question of professionalism is whether one should speak about it so openly in such terms. "Professional" doesn't mean "right". It means conducted according to the (oft unwritten) rules on one's profession.

It's an interesting topic. There are no professional rules of conduct for software engineers unlike say, civil servants, police or soldiers. It's something of a 'wild west' out there in terms of entertainment PR so when should somebody working for somebody else be expected to reign in their personal opinions on things out of concern for that opinion could be associated with their employer and for there to be professional (as in, work) repercussions? (rhetorical question)

I would like to think that you would have to be a little naive if you are expressing a strong opinion about something that is front and centre to your employer's business to not anticipate some reaction and thereby association to your employer. Whether that should be the case is another question and I think the internet, social media internet media have contributed towards the erosion folk's right to voice their opinion without fear of reprisal from their employer because of possible reaction by your employer's customer base. Of course Kertz is Swedish and lives in Sweden, a country which for several centuries has vigorously defend free speech and abhorred censorship of any kind. Being honest and saying what you think is kind of their thing culturally.

That said I think the use of the word "inferior" was poorly chosen. Most words are neutral in tone and the context in which they are used give them meaning but "inferior" is universally pejorative.

Of course Kertz is Swedish and lives in Sweden, a country which for several centuries has vigorously defend free speech and abhorred censorship of any kind. Being honest and saying what you think is kind of their thing culturally.

That said I think the use of the word "inferior" was poorly chosen. Most words are neutral in tone and the context in which they are used give them meaning but "inferior" is universally pejorative.

The fact that he is from Sweden doesn't excuse him, if nothing it's an "aggravating factor".
If nothing living in a democracy should have told him to be respectful of others and to know his place which is not to comment on how good the Xbox is.
And freedom of speach isn't "freedom to insult".
He should never have called it "Xbone".

Back