Professionalism in public statements & spinning in a spin-off thread

I think there nothing wrong with saying the PS4 is more powerful but to tag a product that you support with "inferior" is a bit tactless. There is no need to create a circumstance where you have sold millions of software units and the potential to sell millions more to xb1 users while you make statements with negative connotations about the hardware they own.

The truth is the truth whether he says it or not and his statements aren't going to change irrational minds. There is no point in creating a situation where you basically going, "Please buy our software for your 'inferior' hardware".

Last edited:
To me, I think it's a shame that the modern expectation is to act like a politician about it and skirt around the issue without ever really acknowledging something.
Oh believe you me you don't skirt the issues at all when speaking directly to one another - game developers are some of the most blunt (often to the point of rude :)) folks I know, heh. But that's the point: you do this in the proper context and take up the issues directly with the relevant folks. There's nothing to be gained by bringing such a discussion to the general public particularly on issues like this that are both hot-button topics, and generally misunderstood.

Anyways this is already overblown... his comments weren't that bad and no action is really needed from anyone here. I was just supporting the quote from the original article that it is indeed slightly unprofessional.

Oh believe you me you don't skirt the issues at all when speaking directly to one another - game developers are some of the most blunt (often to the point of rude :)) folks I know, heh. But that's the point: you do this in the proper context and take up the issues directly with the relevant folks. There's nothing to be gained by bringing such a discussion to the general public particularly on issues like this that are both hot-button topics, and generally misunderstood.

Anyways this is already overblown... his comments weren't that bad and no action is really needed from anyone here. I was just supporting the quote from the original article that it is indeed slightly unprofessional.

Heck, I've seen people fired from work places for less impactful statements than his (when made in public). Some work places are less tolerant of unprofessional behavior than others.

Regards,
SB

If we're to expand the point beyond the statement that was made, how many people would be offended or consider it unprofessional if a developer were to say the following on Twitter:

"No, the PSVR headset simply won't be able to run games to the same standard as the Oculus Rift with a 980 installed. PS4 isn't as powerful."

Is that also considered unprofessional?

If we're to expand the point beyond the statement that was made, how many people would be offended or consider it unprofessional if a developer were to say the following on Twitter:

"No, the PSVR headset simply won't be able to run games to the same standard as the Oculus Rift with a 980 installed. PS4 isn't as powerful."

Is that also considered unprofessional?
I don't think so. But mainly because t's written with a fairly objective tone. It's also extremely specific.

vs.

No amount of consumer trust can change that it's just an inferior horse in the horsepower category.
Horsepower is a relative term once again. Some games may or may not run better on XBO. Usually not. But DF has shown the odd blip here or there. It's a generic statement, one that everyone should agree with, but it's not entirely true.

As I meant to say: Xbone will always be behind the PS4 this generation because it isn't as powerful. Stupid typo.
Once again this quote has been proving wrong on occasion. Even though granted, it shouldn't be the case. But w/e. Always is a specific term in which this case he is wrong.

But just like last gen, when enough exclusives pile up and the price drops it'll be a worthy purchase.
Easy to see the above quote as hyperbole. He's basically saying it's not worth purchasing.

Last edited:
Maybe the wrong thread, but anyway.

If the whatever VR headset is good enough then it all boils down to content&experiences. Remember wii&waggle, it wasn't graphics that sold it to masses, it was the well enough functioning waggle in fun small games. Similar thing could happen with vr. Headsets need to function well enough: Good 3d effect, comfortable to wear over longer period of time and everything in relation to not feeling sick after using the device.

Sony has done really well in past with one off weird yet wonderful experiences. I don't see any reason to doubt them on the content side. Similarly they have the big hitter like gran turismo coming out with vr support. There is perfectly plausible chance for sony to make psvr to a success whatever success then means. I guess for some people even few million sold units would be success and some might call anything less than 99% attach rate a failure.

I think at least for the moment sony, htc and oculus have enough differentiation that they all can coexist and jumpstart the revolution. On long term who knows... Perhaps the market consolidates and in future there is only one... Or same thing happens as with tv's that there is many and more starting from cheap and ending to super expensive yet high quality.

I don't think so. But mainly because t's written with a fairly objective tone. It's also extremely specific.

Depends on which part of the text that you emphasise:

Isn't so different to:

"No amount of consumer trust can change that it's just an inferior horse in the horsepower category."

We're essentially onto semantics now. To me they're very similar statements and both equally true.

Horsepower is a relative term once again. Some games may or may not run better on XBO. Usually not. But DF has shown the odd blip here or there. It's a generic statement, one that everyone should agree with, but it's not entirely true.

I think his statement is true, just as horsepower is a means to define the power of a car; gflops is a measurement of processing speed. Obviously there are other metrics that make up both cars and computing. I wouldn't fancy a drag racer fairing very well in a rally. But both the Xbox One and the PS4 are built for essentially the same purpose - actually I'd argue that the Xbox's emphasis was a little misplaced hence why the PS4 has the advantage.

While you can argue that it's possible for the Xbox One to be better optimised for bandwidth, not much else falls in its favour when referring to the console's speed.

He's basically saying it's not worth purchasing.

Yeah, I have to agree on that last quote; I don't think it's a fair statement. Though I think he's comparing it to the PS3 where it had the disadvantage last gen.

"But just like last gen, when enough exclusives pile up and the price drops it'll be a worthy purchase."

I'd just like to add the suffix to my statement; I don't think that the speed of the Xbox One puts it in that bad of a place, it has plenty of first-party titles or exclusives that differentiate it from the PS4. It's a fine console.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with any of the quotes in the OP. Neither do I think his comments were particularly unprofessional or even all that damning for the Xbox One.

His power comments were statements of fact, and actually pretty necessary in order to dispel all the ludicrous conspiracy theories about hidden dGPUs in the XB1, peddled by loons like MisterXmedia. The last comment about the value of XB1 as a purchase is essentially just his opinion and I think that it's a shame really that someone who works for a dev studio essentially isn't able to state his or her opinion on a product without the internet getting riled up about inanimate pieces of plastic (or the company's that sell them).

Fanboys state, assert, reassert and continually iterate their opinions with rugged persistence on the internet, all day every day; and in much more colourful language, using much more inflammatory and derogatory language than this dude.

Why should this guy be censored from stating his own opinion in generally quite a mild tone on his own personal twitter? It just seems mad that anyone would seriously criticise his mild and mostly factual statements, when the rest of the internet is positively filled to the brim with factually incorrect distilled vitriolic FUD.

Quite frankly if you are a person that is getting upset or irate by these comments then you really need to take a step back and reevaluate your life.

We're essentially onto semantics now. To me they're very similar statements and both equally true.
I assure you if we really get down to messaging, we're not debating semantics. I'm not even a copywriter and I know this comes across miles apart.

Here's my honest technical breakdown.

What you wrote:
simply won't be able to run games to the same standard
Is a very specific statement: this configuration 'SIMPLY' will not be able to run games at the same standard as this other configuration.
Technically speaking you're using technical terms to relate to technical terms. There is no bias at this point in time. You've stated: it cannot SIMPLY perform at the standard of the other configuration - the reason is it it is not as powerful. This has no biased tones, you're comparing things that CAN be compared. But more importantly form a marketing POV you've used the words simply will not perform, which means you've left open the possibility that it MAY perform at that level with a mammoth effort.

Let's compare it to this:

"No amount of consumer trust can change that it's just an inferior horse in the horsepower category."
Everyone's argument here is that this is not a false statement. But He's talking about no amount of consumer trust. This is his absolute phrase.
I'm not going to read into his words, but you have to read it as it is which is what in marketing we do.

There is no amount of consumer trust [in microsoft's spin] that can change that it's just an inferior horse in the horsepower category. (is what he's really written)
The target of this statement is actually directed towards the fans, you know the people that buy MS products.

He follows up with:
As I meant to say: Xbone will always be behind the PS4 this generation because it isn't as powerful. Stupid typo.
This is no longer a statement of horsepower. It is a statement of purchasing behaviour, or in this case, it's a statement of the position of the two consoles in sales rankings.
He follows up the reasoning that MS will be always behind PS4 is due to the different in their power.

This isn't fact. I'm sure power has a reason why PS4 is ahead of Xbox, but it isn't the whole reason.
But once again, this is directed towards fans of MS products. You know the people that buy MS products.

He ends with:
But just like last gen, when enough exclusives pile up and the price drops it'll be a worthy purchase.
It's an unworthy purchase. "Like last gen" is not specific at all. He could be referring to any platform, if you didn't know last gen, this is a worthless statement. But it's clear that in his second phrase he's speaking about Xbox One. It's not a worthy purchase unless they have exclusives pile up and the price drops further - this is definitely subjective. That would pretty much indicate that it's current offerings for exclusives are crap, and the console should be priced even cheaper than it is today to be of any value.

So overall when I talk about marketing and communications, this man went after the target audience that ultimately funds Microsoft. One of few brands that Microsoft owns that people are legitimately excited for. If I was Microsoft I'd be pissed. Alan Kertz just officially told the community to buy PS4 over Xbox. I don't care if what he writes is accurate or not, or whether you agree with his opinion. Because that's not what is at debate. You just spent a lot of cash marketing BF4 and Hardline on Xbox One at launch, and this is what you get back. Wouldn't be happy at all with this at all.

It is unprofessional to give 1 vendor of yours a substantial vote of confidence and the other a negative vote of confidence. They are your vendors. You know the ones who spend millions marketing YOUR product.

Reactions: NRP
Why should this guy be censored from stating his own opinion in generally quite a mild tone on his own personal twitter? It just seems mad that anyone would seriously criticise his mild and mostly factual statements, when the rest of the internet is positively filled to the brim with factually incorrect distilled vitriolic FUD.

Quite frankly if you are a person that is getting upset or irate by these comments then you really need to take a step back and reevaluate your life.
No one implied he should be censored from speaking. Many devs here are not censored from giving their opinion. Yet they haven't. This is a discussion of whether his comments are unprofessional or not. His comments are being criticized as being unprofessional is hardly critical.

He has a working relationship with the companies, therefore, they are actually partners. I don't throw my vendors under the bus in a public setting, in person I certainly can give them hell if they fuck up. This is the only defining difference.

My sources tell me that MS has sent the assassination PR team to Alan Kertz's house...they will fix everything, soon!

Last edited:
Sorry but what are MS going to do? Bar them from developing for the X1 as punishment? I'd love to see them trying!

Come on, the reality is that this statement is exactly like staying that the X1 has better voice recognition (it does) or that PS4 has a touchpad on the controller.

DICE releasing a game at a lower res on a platform because it does not have the power to run it any higher, then saying that the platform lacks some power, is NOT unethical, unprofessional, un-anything. It's a statement of fact based on their experience with the hardware, and it's something that has been well documented for quite a while.

Sorry but what are MS going to do? Bar them from developing for the X1 as punishment? I'd love to see them trying!

Come on, the reality is that this statement is exactly like staying that the X1 has better voice recognition (it does) or that PS4 has a touchpad on the controller.

DICE releasing a game at a lower res on a platform because it does not have the power to run it any higher, then saying that the platform lacks some power, is NOT unethical, unprofessional, un-anything. It's a statement of fact based on their experience with the hardware, and it's something that has been well documented for quite a while.
Not my problem. I'm not MS. It's a debate of whether it's unprofessional. It is.
You've sort of just glossed over my whole post.

"Simply cannot" means that the PS4 will never perform like a GTX980, not that it might be able to catch up. You're misunderstanding.

I also do not read that this guy is referring to the sales at any point, he's only referring to the relative power of the machines?

IMO he was very unprofessional.
It will all be forgiven and forgotten sooner or later but still he should have kept his mouth shut because his commnets damage the company he works for.

Last edited:
Back