Prey (2006)

Jabjabs said:
but I suppose the D3 enigne has had a much better life time so far, and far better games. Doom 3, Quake 4

If you are saying that D3 and Q4 are way better than HL2, you are very alone with that opinion...

True, the problem is not graphics, but gameplay. I like doom engine, it has Alien movie quality, but games are not scary.

Lysander said:
True, the problem is not graphics, but gameplay. I like doom engine, it has Alien movie quality, but games are not scary.

It has what? :???: Maybe a very very very blocky Alien movie with no detail compared to the real thing.
The movie is dark, the game is dark... That's where the similarities are really.

Lysander said:
You are not serious, right?

0000000140-L-0610bab.jpg

0000000140-L-bb0ac10.jpg

0000000140-L-185133d.jpg

this are 4/3 pc screens?

where are the shadows????

There's one in the first picture ;) Otherwise, you're pretty much looking at dimly lit environments where shadows are just not going to be generated.

So, you all didn't play the game over 10 years ago (on your console)?

The game is BC now and on 2K sale. I bought it. It's amazing to play old pure single player games.

So, you all didn't play the game over 10 years ago (on your console)?
I sure did play it, and loved it. Very good game, although some of the level designs were a bit hokey. Loved the story that was told throughout, loved the characters, especially the main character. It was a crime this was never expanded upon.

I definitely played it, but I think it was on my PC instead of X360. I cant remember it exactly, so I'm not sure if this is the game that reminded me of Turok with using a crossbow/bow weapon.

If I remember correctly, this was about aliens and a vision quest despite it starting out in a bar?

I definitely played it, but I think it was on my PC instead of X360. I cant remember it exactly, so I'm not sure if this is the game that reminded me of Turok with using a crossbow/bow weapon.

If I remember correctly, this was about aliens and a vision quest despite it starting out in a bar?

And portals, before Portal had portals IIRC.

Doom only had teleporters. No part of the game had areas where you could view another area of the level as a seamless part of your own area. I've never heard that the engine itself even supports this; if it did, you could have replicated* Duke3D's spiral staircases for example easily, but no DOOM level ever did this.

*Replicated... In a game which preceded Duke3D by several years! :LOL:

I like how Prey seems like a future version if the Dishonored universe. I still wonder if the aliens are something from the Void. :)

I started a new play but have been completely sidetracked by Kingdom Come.

Can't wait to see what Arkane does next.

Prey is a pretty fun game.....
Why I despise remakes/modern versions of games with identical names. Community discussion context is lost unless people check back posts/pages. Using present tense "is" indicates recent remake of Prey instead of the old version this thread is related to, unless you've actually played the old one recently.

I blame annoying publishers cashing in on the name and @BRiT for replying after the necro and not updating the thread title with the year of the original release.

Rant over.

Oh right you guys were talking about the 2006 game. Well I liked that one too. I played a chunk of it again a couple of years ago.

Why I despise remakes/modern versions of games with identical names.
Taking a game and changing everything in it (except the title) is such bullshit. If they're not keeping the plot, the setting, the hero, the backstory or any of that, then call it SOMETHING ELSE, because it isn't Prey. I've refused to buy the game in part for this reason.

I doubt the name Prey did them a lot of good in terms of brand recognition anyways. The original game didn't exactly set the gaming world on fire back then. For what it's worth, Prey 2017 was one of the best gaming experiences I've had that year and I seriously doubt Arcane had any intention of developing a Prey game in the first place. Bethesda just had the rights to an old ip and decided to slap it onto the game. I thought it was better than both Dishonored games and succeeded where Deus Ex Mankind Divided dropped the ball so spectacularly. If you are even a little bit interested in systems-based games you're doing yourself a real disservice not checking it out. I get where you're coming from, though.

Back