Prey (2017) [PS4, XO]

The PC version has some texture streaming and stutter issues too. Notably with the wall displays as shown in the video above.

I think the most impressive visuals to me were the day/night cycles of various areas as the station rotates and the fairly sharp resolution of the textures.

I didn't really like the way it looks a bit like Dishonored though. The steampunkish thing doesn't lend itself to a feel of practicality and realism. Sometimes I got a feel like I was staring at some industrial revolution era factory gear. Weird.

Last edited:
The PC version has some texture streaming and stutter issues too. Notably with the wall displays as shown in the video above.

I think the most impressive visuals to me were the day/night cycles of various areas as the station rotates and the fairly sharp resolution of the textures.

I didn't really like the way it looks a bit like Dishonored though. The steampunkish thing doesn't lend itself to a feel of practicality and realism. Sometimes I got a feel like I was staring at some industrial revolution era factory gear. Weird.

I think they actually did a really good job with the fusion of art deco elements and cutting edge technology. After all, Talos 1 has gradually been built around what used to be a Russion space station orbiting the moon ever since the 60s. Unlike something like Bioshock, it doesn't constantly call attention to its visual design either. The design is consistent and obvious, but it's not anywhere near as in-your-face. I think it's one of the most believable locations created for a video game in a long ass time.

No idea where you're getting a steampunkish vibe here. Reminded me more of the trip through Aperture Science in Portal 2.

I'm not sure I'd call it believable exactly. It's a luxurious, spacious art deco skyscraper in space. With gargoyles of course. ;)

They could have said it is the same universe as Dishonored. Apparently the architects over the years have all been inspired by each other. Maybe one of the in-game book series could have been about Corvo's adventures. The aliens could very well be creatures spawned from the Void.

I don't know about everyone else but I see some resemblances here.

prey.png
index.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd call it believable exactly. It's a luxurious, spacious art deco skyscraper in space. With gargoyles of course. ;)

That's mostly in the lobby, though. Makes sense too. After all, it's the place that's supposed to leave an impression. It's also where the big wigs like Morgan have their offices. The station gets a lot less glamorous and more practical when you move away from the center and into the various research divisions like Psychotronics and Engineering.

I've played 10 or 20 hours, dunno and it's great, like, really great. I still prefer Dishonored 2 level design, but Prey is different
This is how single player games should be. It also reminds me how dissapointing Deus Ex was..

Which Deus Ex are you referring to? I do think Mankind Divided was not very good.

Mankind Divided, the last one. I had high expectations after Human Revolution, but it's flat, the story is meh, they broke the subtitles (the infamy) and I got sick of roaming in Neo-Prague.
In Prey. I'm constantly thinking, 'oh man, I will totally try that branch in my next hard-mode playthrough !'

really great game... Difficult but rewarding... Runs really smooth after patches on ps4 pro...

Back