Prey (2006)

A video I saw a few months ago seemed to indicate that Prey at least offers a bit more variety in gameplay than Doom3. Here's hoping!

http://www.3drealms.com/news/prey/weekly_updates/

Human Head started working on Prey in May 2001. We had recently finished Rune and were looking for our next project. George and Scott from 3D Realms enjoyed Rune quite a bit, and wanted to work with us on something. Prey seemed like an interesting project to resurrect.

3DR was interested in maintaining a few key elements from the original Prey design, specifically the main character (although he underwent a name change) and some elements of the plot. They gave us the freedom to rework the weapons, creatures, and levels. So our initial tasks were working with 3DR on the story and brainstorming the various features of the game.

Jan 27th, 7 AM
The demo consisted of three parts: We showed a portion of the single-player game, showed a short bit of the 360 version in action, and then a hand-on demo of Prey multiplayer deathmatch.

January 13, 2006
Expect to see much more press and previews on Prey over the next few months, as we finally start to unveil more details about the game, including information on MultiPrey, and information about the Xbox 360 version.

Quote:
We were fortunate enough to actually get a glimpse of the Xbox 360 version as well, however brief. We're happy to report the game actually looked better on the Xbox 360 than it did on the PC, running at a silky framerate with excellent lighting and texture detail.

I have a very hard time believing that after seeing the Quake4 port to the xbox360.

What are the chances that HumanHead was able to do some magic with the Doom3 engine on the 360... something Carmack himself could not even pull off?

Qroach said:
Carmack didn't work on the quake 4 port. Quake 4 wasn't even made at the id software office.

You underestimate id's involvment. The xbox doom3 port was not done inhouse either. But Carmack still assisted them on the renderer.

If im not wrong i think you can fly spaceships as vehicles also, remembered that from the trailers. Also some claimbing/movement on rails(?) ala MePrime type i think.

inefficient said:
You underestimate id's involvment. The xbox doom3 port was not done inhouse either. But Carmack still assisted them on the renderer.

I'm not underestimating anything, just stating what I know. If carmack stated he was providing help on quake 4 or prey then you'd have good reason to believe that was occuring. However he hasn't stated (to my knowledge) that this is occuring. He's only talked about his next game/engne that will use the 360 as his base platform.

Yes carmack provided asistance for the console port of doom3, but it was also the main game he worked on. That doesn't mean he's provided programming assistance for the Quake 4 360 port or anything Prey related.

Doom 3 PC - developed in house
Doom 3 Console - external ( provided asistance)

Quake 4 PC - external
Quake 4 Console - external

Prey PC - external
Prey console - external

Actually, if you look in the Q4 manual, Carmack isn't even listed...even though other id members are (non-programming related like... Tim Willits)

i think if Carmack had something to do with Q4 port on X360 framerate should be smooth and fine ..but hell what i know :D

inefficient said:
I have a very hard time believing that after seeing the Quake4 port to the xbox360.

What are the chances that HumanHead was able to do some magic with the Doom3 engine on the 360... something Carmack himself could not even pull off?

I believe it. Why wouldn't you? Why would IGN lie? They support both X360 and PC.

mckmas8808 said:
I believe it. Why wouldn't you? Why would IGN lie? They support both X360 and PC.

yes it's sad that people judge a game after a one crapy port

q4 problem with framerate = prey the same problem ...why??

Judging the x360 based upon the crappy Q4 launch port is like judging the ps2 in 2000 based upon the crappy Unreal Tournament launch port. Neither were optimzed and showed an inkling of what the consoles are capable of in the future.

This gen we've seen many Unreal engine based games, some ran great and looked great, some ran like crap and looked like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
chroniceyestrain said:
All of Activision's ports for the 360 were shit. No effort at all.
If you consider Call of Duty a shitty port, than your standards are too high.

Back